Author Topic: Where or What is Camlin?  (Read 44363 times)

Offline camlin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where or What is Camlin?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Brie.
My family tree starts with Thomas Irwin b 1631 m Mary Jane Knott & runs down to my generation. Originally it was compiled by '??Albert??' Irwin Indian Civil service October 1902 & has been added to.
camlin

Offline camlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
The website 'landedestates.nuigalway.ie' may be of interest as it gives information on Camlin plus other 'Irwin' properties eg. Ballymore, Eastersnow, Granny East, etc.

camlin

Offline camlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 September 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
I spoke to the estate agent who is trying to sell Camlin. He sent me various bits of info : a brochure with photos & land map, a copy of the 'Irwin silhouette' & a photo of a portrait of John Irwin (he thought??!)

camlin

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 September 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Camlin,

Thanks for replying. I think John and Rebecca are my William Phibbs Irwin's parents but as yet don't have any proof. William Phibbs Irwin was my gggg grandfather. I'll PM you.

Thanks again
Brie

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 January 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie / Camlin,

William Phibbs Irwin actually resided at Carrowroe Lodge at Dunsandle (modern Kilconierin parish) in Galway at the time of the 1821 census. The house had been held by the Kelly family who apparently produced no fewer than five officers in the Army. After 'WPI', the house was held next by John Dennis (an accomplished Huntsman who once competed in the Grand National).

I am currently completing a history of the parish and would appreciate any nuggets of information on 'WPI' that either of you may have, or if you have any questions for me I would be happy to answer same. My personal e-mail address is (*).

Continued good luck in your research.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline scunscan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 11 June 11 02:05 BST (UK) »
There is a Camlin house, which has been restored and is is the market right now.There is no village of Camlin as stated above it is in fact Ballinameen.The Irwins originally built this house but lost it through debt and later rented it from Guy Lloyd of Croghan house who eventually evicted them.They rented land nearby in the townland of Corroy, Kilcolagh parish which can be seen on Griffiths evaluation 1858.There was a book written about the Irwins of this Camlin house unfortunately I cant remember the title.

Offline Ann281816

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 January 14 08:04 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo of Camlin

Offline Camlinrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 07 February 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
HI Brie,
My daughter just sent me the link to this site and she is correct when she said she thought  it was about our family.
My mother's maiden name was Irwin, my older brother's 2nd name is Irwin and my other brother's 2nd name is Camiln after the family house in Ireland.  I have named my house Camlin Rose.
Mum's father came over here to NZ at the tender age of 17/18? He married and began farming on River Road just North of Ngatea on the Hauraki Plains.  They were affectionately known as Pady and Kitty, real names were John and Katherine.  They had two daughters, the elder was my Auntie Moi (real name also Katherine) and my Mother, Heather. When Mum was about 2yrs old they returned to Ireland for about a year when his father (my great-grandfather) became ill. When they returned they settled on another farm on the Hauraki Plains on Kaihere Rd on the other side of  Ngatea. That is where I was born. My mother has a family tree of the Irwin side that dates back to 1536. It make fascinating reading. If you are still looking for information I would be happy to give you any info I can.
Helen.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 08 February 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Camlinrose,

Welcome to rootschat. I am very interested in any information that you have. I do now have a tree that goes back if I remember correctly to the late 1600s and it would be very interesting to compare them. I also have other bits that may be of interest to you depending on where our trees link.

It is probably best to send information through the Personal Message (PM) system. In order to do this you will need to make a couple more posts here and then an icon will appear on your screen that will allow us to communicate privately through this site.

So if you reply to this...

Looking forward to corresponding
Brie