Author Topic: Where or What is Camlin?  (Read 44255 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where or What is Camlin?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 March 08 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 (non-catholic marriages from 1845)- for earlier dates you need to search for church records (if they still exist).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Darwinsmom

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!
I was delighted to see your post - I've been searching for you (or anyone in your lineage) for about five years!  Camlin House, located just south of Boyle, Co. Roscommon, was one of the Irwin estates and the house still stands.  If you go to Google Earth and go to the following coordinates, you can see it for yourself:  53 degrees, 54' 29.24"W and 8 degrees, 18' 27.66"W.  If you type Boyle, Co. Roscommon, Ireland into the Google Earth search box and hit "enter", you will find yourself starting out north of Camlin.  Look south and you will see two lakes close together just a little east of the direct line south from Boyle.  Now look south-southwest and you will see a small lake that looks like the hull of a boat.  Look west of that lake (Treanamarly Lough), and you will see a small river that heads west from the narrow tip of the boat shape.  Simply follow that river west and you will see a house that casts a north-facing shadow.  That is Camlin House!  There is a village named Camlin as well, just a little southeast of the estate.  The townland is also called Camlin, the civil parish is Estersnow, in the Barony of Boyle.  Any reference to the Irwin estate would probably call it Camlin House, not merely Camlin.

My interest in Camlin House stems from a family mystery I've been trying to unravel for many years.  It seems that my gggGrandfather, John McWilliam, may have been an employee of John Irwin from around 1840 to 1863, when all of the family except my ggGrandfather immigrated to New Zealand.  John and his wife Rebecca apparently lived at the gatehouse at Camlin, although there is no sign of a gatehouse any more.

You may email me off the board if you'd like.  I have a few more details about Camlin House, but not much.  I would be most interested in collaborating on research into your Irwins in case anything turns up about the estate and its employees.  My email address is darwinsmomATrogersDOTcom.  I hope this at least helps you to see where your people came from.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 March 08 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. As I am back to the end of the 1700s I think as Darwinsmom has suggested I need to approach the local library and see if they know of any archives, records etc.

And Aghadowey, if I find any Armstrongs or Hamiltons I will let you know.

Brie

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 March 08 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie

Thanks for PM.

Back to the 1700's!  Can't be bad, I am only just getting to the late 1700  :(

It gets so much harder as you become reliant on documents and bits mentioned here and there!

Hope the Library visit is a success :D

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline abbeyview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 August 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Brie
My gt gt gdmother (my ancestors were late "marry-ers") was Mary Irwin b1801 at Camlin co Roscomon as described by Darwinsmom.   She married Caleb Robertson of Boyle.   The C of I clergy for Estersnow parish must have been very thorough as it was easy on the IGI to trace Mary's ancestry back:-
Mary's brother John Irwin III of Camlin 1800-1842, married Emily Bolton
Mary's father John Irwin II of Camlin 1762-1842, md Elizabeth O'Malley
John II's parents John Irwin I of Camin 1716-91 and Rebecca Phibbs married at Camlin 1757
John Irwin I's parents - Thoms Irwin II b 1763 Camlin & Ann Walker m 1700 t Granny (which seems to be a big house near Camlin)
Thomas Irwin II's parents - Thomas Irwin I b 1631 Camlin & Mary Jane Knott b c 1635 Camlin - this is mostly on IGI but it seems clearly the same family

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 August 08 20:49 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat abeyview but are you sure all the Iriwn records you mention did come from the church records? All the IGI entries I saw were submitted not extracted records and while the details could have from from the Parish records (of they still exist) you would need to check as there is no guarantee that submitted records are accurate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 August 08 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Abbeyview,

It does look as if it is the same family and I will e-mail you personally with the information I have. It won't be immediately as I am at work and will have to dig out all the stuff and my filing system leaves a lot to be desired. From what I can see your Mary was my gggg grandfather's cousin so our ggggg grandfathers were one and the same.

However, as Aghadowey says the IGI entries are submitted ones and there are some that I looked at in relation to the Irwins that seemed a bit odd - an 80 year old father for instance - possible but unlikely. But on the other hand there are surnames of women who apparently married into the family that continued in later generations of my branch of the family. I do know that my family came from Camlin as I have a letter written by my ggg grandfather which clearly states that. However, how to proceed from there is difficult. I have contacted the local library as to where records would be kept but haven't received a reply. So at the moment at an impasse.

Brie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 August 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
there's a town callend 'Camolin' near Gorey in Co. Wexford -  they way its spoken locally it very nearly sounds like Camlin - the 'O' is almost skipped over.

Shane.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline abbeyview

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 November 08 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie (and others)
If Mary Irwin is a cousin then the common ancestors seem to be John Irwin 1716-91 and his 2nd wife Rebecca Phibbs (unless you descend from his first  wife whom IGI gives as Ann Knott.   Which of their childen do you descend from?
I agree that the fathers give do seem to be old when their children were born but in their 40's (I didn't see one in his 80's !).
The Irwins do appear as quite substantial  landowners in Griffith's valuation