Author Topic: Where or What is Camlin?  (Read 44336 times)

Offline Camlinrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where or What is Camlin?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 09 February 14 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie
I am looking forward to chatting with you too. I will have to get a copy of the family tree so I can correctly quote stuff to you.  One of the interesting things is that I remember off the top of my head is that a few generations back there was a Henry Irwin and a Henrietta Irwin (1st cousins) They married and had (I think) 9 children, (I will confirm when I get the copy done) but they named their children all with the initial H! There was Henry, Harloe, Harold, Helen, Heather, Hanora, Harry, ....you get the picture! Goodness knows how the postie coped!! :)
Any way, as you say if we keep chatting like this then we can get on PM system and possibly communicate directly.
Looking forward to hearing from you again,
Helen

Offline Camlinrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 09 February 14 04:30 GMT (UK) »
By the way, I forgot to tell you, the daughter that sent me this link is named from the family tree.  She is Ann Rebecca. The Ann comes from the wife of the first John Irwin who was actually a Scottish boarderer. There were two brothers who joined Cromwell and fought with him in Ireland thus earning their land in Ireland and beginning the Irwin Irish dynasty.
I will be more specific when I have the document in front of me.
Helen

Offline Rihir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 March 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brie and Camlinrose. I came across your conversation quite by accident while researching Harlow Irwin. His name I picked up from the book " Her Story in Four Centuries " by Sylvia Webber. I am an Irwin myself but can only trace my family back to 18th century Cumberland. Some tome ago I took a y-DNA test and joined the Clan Irwin DNA study. Eventually it was confirmed that I was descended from the house of Bonshaw in Dumfriesshire. 
It is very likely that my family spent a couple of generations in Ireland on the from Scotland to England. I have been researching Roscommon and Sligo area Irwins for the above study. We are trying to separate the various strands of the Irwin clan there. It is possible that the Rosscommon and Sligo families derive from two different sources.
I would be very pleased to have sight of any family tree information you have and to know whether any of your male relatives has had his y-DNA tested.
One of my direct relatives in Cumberland migrated to New Zealand in the late 19th century and I am still in contact with a 'cousin' near CHCH.
I hope you spot this note and get back to me.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 22 March 18 19:09 GMT (UK) »
The Irwins and the Phibbs were kinsmen...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 22 March 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 March 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »

Offline Rihir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 22 March 18 20:38 GMT (UK) »
To Hallmark.
I hope you can see this. I'm not yet up to speed with the system. Thank you for your swift reply. It will take me a little while to decypher the documents and compare them with what we have put together here. One project I'm engaged on is to confirm whether James I (1600) Tanragoe and brother? John (1580) Ardkeelmore descend from a branch of the Bonshaw line (as I do) or whether they are a separate family named Irwin/Irving. Is there anyone that you know of in either of those lines who has had a y-DNA test?
It's my bedtime so I'll stop there and look at this again tomorrow.
Thank you again 73

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Nothing on Pedigree

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
to Hallmark : thank you for your contributions. I have some difficulty deciphering the actual link between the Irwin and Phibbs families. Obviously the link is in the Enniskillen / Castle Irvine branch. That line is, as shown in the tree you supplied descended from the Bonshaw Tower root - which I now know is also the source of my own ancestors. (note : the family name was probably Irving at the time of leaving for Ireland but someone had the idea of changing it to Irvine thus mirroring the name used by the Drum,Aberdeenshire branch which, ironically, James Irvine the coordinator of the Clan Irwin DNA study appears to have proved has no genetic connection with the Bonshaw family;
In trying to establish whether one of the Enniskillen people or a relative returned to Britain and was responsible for the birth of my gggGrandfather at Cleator, I have been trying to eliminate several other families using the Irwin name. There are several in Western Ireland. An important element in that search was a document about the Irwin family of Rathmoyle discovered in the National Library of Ireland. A seemingly related group are the Irwin of Tanragoe - there are others. However, James Irvine's latest analyses suggest that, based on DNA evidence, several, if not all, of these westerners may not in fact be Irwin. This is where your mention of the Phibbs family connection is of interest in the off-chance that some Phibbs may have become Irwin.

Looking at what you sent me I think that's unlikely as the connection from what I can see would have been too recent. However, I had a scan of a couple of books that I own and I did come up with a couple of items which may be of interest to you. I will explain the sources at some other occasion . I do not wish to broadcast items which are probably subject to copyright. However, I have an image in colour of one John Phibbs of Lisconny, born 1717.
I will attach a copy here of some armorial of Phibbs and Irwin engraved alongside . Please let mr know if you receive this and whether it is possible to send messages between us.

Posted on behalf of Rihir who sent the message to me in error
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk