Author Topic: Anyone know Tullinkisey?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Rossini

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Anyone know Tullinkisey?
« on: Monday 10 January 05 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I understand my gt grandmother came from somewhere called Tullinkisey (or any number of spelling variations) which I believe is close to Magherafelt. 

Google hasn't been much help with this one, wonder if Rootschatters might have more idea.  Thanks,

Gordon.
Researching: Fairbairn, Davidson (Scotland); Shaw, Douglas (Ulster), Healey, Armstrong, Denney (England).

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know Tullinkisey?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 January 05 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Rossini

I couldnt find anything by searching for Tullinkisey but here a link to a local Magerafelt site I dont know if it will be any help at all

http://www.magherafelt.org.uk/home.php4

Willow
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
The place you are after could be

Tullylinkisay

which is a townland in the  Magherafelt  area.

Hope this helps.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Rossini

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Willow - I'll have a 'peruse' through that site, it's all interesting stuff, and new to me.  I'll have to get across there one day to see the place.

Scotmum - I am quite sure you have it right - I Googled Tullylinkisay and now I have the spelling right a lot of info has come up.  Very many thanks to you too.

Gordon.
Researching: Fairbairn, Davidson (Scotland); Shaw, Douglas (Ulster), Healey, Armstrong, Denney (England).

Offline celiaoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 02:19 BST (UK) »
What is your mother's family name (madden)?  You won't believe this but I live in Tullinkisay, Magherafelt.  I know current families and might be able to share some current information with you.

As one of your respondents has said it is a townland name, not known outside of the 'church' areas.  You mum will now that it is divided into a place called Newbridge, Aughrim and Magherafelt. 

Many names still exist in the area (older family names) like Shaw, Bradley and so on.

I am related to Shaws, previously through McElhones.  I am about to search for McElhone families and hope to find someone with information to share.

Hope this is helpful.

Celia.