Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52455 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« on: Friday 29 February 08 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am a member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. If you have a query about a pharmacist, chemist, druggist, apothecary I may be able to help. Also on queries regarding early types of medicines, chemist shops, drug treatments, leeches, maggots, drug jars, etc.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,

I've spotted an interesting article about Dr John Langdon Down of Normansfield which was written by Professor O Conor Ward who is Chairman of the Langdon Down Centre Trust.

The article refers to regulations relating to the practice of Apothecaries being introduced in 1815. This allowed John Langdon Down to call himself an Apothecary. Anybody who wanted to be an Apothecary after 1815  had to be registered by the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries and had to pass examinations. John started to learn his trade behind a shop counter at the age of fourteen. www.langdondowncentre.org.uk/history.php

Christopher

Offline blueboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 08 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,

One of my ancestors was in the 1851 census as a Druggist. I have followed one of his sons through the census and just out of interest I have a couple of queries you may be able to help me with.

His son was an apprentice druggist/chemist in 1881 and again in 1891. By 1901 he was a druggist/chemist. That seems a long time to be an apprentice. Did they train on the job and would they have had to have any academic qualifications then?

He had attended a boarding school so I assume he had fair education for that time.

Another question I have is, if all his family were from Wales how would he have known about apprenticeships in Devon which is where he was apprenticed. No family ties there that I can find.

Would there be records available of qualified druggists at that time? Did they have to register?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Mandy
Lawrence,Tunna,Cross, Brown, Lloyd-Oswestry,Shropshire
Cross-Oswestry, Manchester
Andrew - Cardiganshire, Bala,Meirionethshire
Morris - llanrhaedre y mochnant, Ruabon, Llandrillo
Roberts - Froncysyllte,Denbishire
Thomas Jones Roberts-corwen area
Taylor and Phillips - Holt Denbighshire
Lloyd - Oswestry
Tunna - Birkenhead
Weston - worcester
Lawrence-Liverpool, Hoylake, Llanfyllin
Evans-Rhiwlas, Llansilin

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 March 08 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,

That is a kind offer.  My 3rd great grandfather is in the 1841 census as a druggist, but by 1851 he is a Commercial Traveller,  would you think that he sold drugs? 
Also do you know if being a  druggist a prestigious occupation in those days?

Thanks,

Elin

Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
As an afterthought, are druggists, pharmacists, apothacaries and chemists the same thing?

Thanks again,

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 March 08 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In the past druggists, pharmacists, apothacaries and chemists could have been interchangable but the correct term is pharmacist but how many people say they are nipping to the chemist?. The regulatory body for pharmacists now days is the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. Your relative turned into a commercial traveer but it depends what in?

Of course being a pharmacist, chemist etc is a respectable occupation - it is a profession so it is more than respectable. Anyone who misbehaves gets struck off the register.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 09:16 GMT (UK) »
H i Jane,

Thanks a lot for the reply,  I would hate you to think that I was suggesting that being a pharmacist might not be a respectable profession today, I am well aware that that  is not the case!
I just wondered whether in the 1850s people might have just been able to set themselves up as druggists and sold home made remedies unregulated. A bit like many elderly women delivered babies and barbers did surgery! :o   Although that may have been  in earlier times.

I have no idea what he sold as a commercial traveller, it just seemed to me that it might have been a bit of a come down for him after being a druggist.

Thanks again  :)

Elin

Offline treebuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane,
Would be interesting to find out about someone in my tree who according to the 1881 census was transcribed has a Homscopathic chemist (not sure if this is a mistranscription).
His name was William F. Clayton .

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,
I have and Ancestor who is listed as a "Grocer & Druggist" on the 1861 census..."A Commission Agent" in 1871 and a "Licensensed Victualler" In 1881.
Drug & Alcohol are hardly related......so I wondered if in this context...the "Druggist" tag was a loose term for someone who perhaps sold over the counter remedies for common ailments!
Thanks for your time.
T.T.
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU