Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52268 times)

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 September 08 11:31 BST (UK) »
As daughter of a pharmacist may I just say what a fascinating thread - I have only just found it  :D.  My dad qualified as a Pharmacist in 1929 after being apprenticed to his uncle who was a Chemist & Druggist and ran a Chemist shop in Padiham, Lancashire.  My dad travelled several times a week by train to Manchester to study in between working in the shop.

By all accounts the family had all to make great sacrifices to let dad's uncle study for the profession and his two sisters had to work in the mill in order to provide the money for this.  My grandmother would tell of her frustation at being denied her wish of becoming a schoolteacher so that her brother could study, and I have found in the census that she was working part time as a weaver by the age of 11.  As a thank-you to her contribution, her brother agreed to train my dad in the profession if he showed any aptitude for the job.

Dad eventually took over the business in Padiham and I have vivid memories of how the shop used to look, with the little drawers of powder and all the bottles.  There were few branded medicines then, and dad used to stay late into the evening mixing his medicines and making his own pills.  I have two books of old recipes full of old remedies both for humans and animals and I still have the old brass weighing scales, various glass stoppered bottles with Latin names on the front, and a pestle and mortar from the shop.

If anybody wants a recipe for deepening the yellow colour in cockerels' legs just let me know  ;D  ;D  ;D

Maggie

Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 September 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Just to feed back that I paid the RPS for information on one of my lot, Frederick William Guest.  They confirmed he was a member and the addresses from which he paid his subscriptions.  The really, really, really weird thing though (which they said they'd look into, but have never got back to me) was that he was still on the register and (presumably) paying subscriptions every year for 28 years after he died!

Curiouser and curiouser, how on earth did that happen.  They stop all payments like that when someone dies as a rule.

They finally got back to me, and - basically - they're stumped.

The only thing they've been able to add is that his name is crossed out in the 1920 register, with an annotation "Deceased: T.T. Hora  6.5.20" 

Apparently the date is ususally the date the Society is informed of the death of a member, and they assume TT Hora (whoever s/he is!) was the informant.

I now have an image of someone called TT Hora buying FW Guest's old shop and finding 28 years worth of mail behind the door!   ;D

The name T.T. Hora didn't mean anything at first until I started digging.

I found two entries for T.T. Hora in the 1906 telephone directory, both at 346 York Road, Battersea: TT Hora, Chemist & Druggist, Battersea 280 and Tudor T Hora, Whisle Photographic Chemist, Battersea 327.

Hora, and particularly Tutor T. Hora, is a sufficiently unusual name that I easily tracked him down on the 1891 census, where his widowed mother is Susanah M Hora: she's a chemist.  I then found a marriage between a William T Hora and a Susannah M Page in 1866 - and that's where finally - and convolutedly - there's a connection.

My Frederick William Guest was the second husband of rather strange sounding character, Maria Brown.  They married in 1882 and she was widowed for the second time when Frederick William died in January 1892.   She then married again, in September 1892, to a James Richard Page, who was a "medical & general label printer" and who printed labels for Frederick William Guest's medicine bottles (according to a newspaper report of a curious deed of separation between Maria and James Richard Page).  So I'm guessing there's a connection on the Page side.  Siblings?  Cousins? 

What a tangled web!  And it still doesn't explain why T.T. Hora left it until 1920 to inform the RPS of Frederick William Guest's death 28 years years earlier!
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perry1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 October 08 11:06 BST (UK) »
Jane,
Would it be possible please to see if the following appear on the register
Andrew Hingston
Cheltenham  early 1800's
also his son
Andrew Holland Hingston
Liverpool 1860's

Thank You  Eddie

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 January 09 19:57 GMT (UK) »
hi jane
any chance you could look one up for me please
henry downie and co
43/44 sandhill newcastle upon tyne listed as druggest and chemist also had pickle factory???
downie/north shields.vickers/durham. bugg/middlesbrough.storke/ middlesbrough.laityhelston cornwall.

Offline zenobia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 February 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for one James Charles RUSSELL who was an apothecary in London pre 1834 when he emigrated to Tasmania.  I haven't been able to find anything on him prior to Tasmania. 

He went on to become a doctor and surgeon in NSW.

Thanks

Zenobia

Offline FROMAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 April 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Wilfred Lewis Watson born 1873 Belper was a Pharmaceutical student living at the Granville Hotel WELLINGBOROUGH at the time for the 1891 census. He later opened a Drug and Photographic store in Frome, Somerset from about 1900 to 1909. A collection of glass negatives of Frome and District was found in the loft of a house in Ealing in the 1980s. Have been unable to find him on the 1911 census.
Any information on his subsequent movements would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Offline Ann_Cestor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 May 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks for the offer.

Could you please look up my Grt Grt grandfather? His name was John Roberts born abt 1803/1804 in Sleaford, Lincs. He was a chemist/druggist at Woodside Lane/Bridgehouses/ 24 Pye Bank, addresses all in the Brightside area of Sheffield from the 1841 census to 1883. His middle name could be Joseph, not sure, as he never used a middle name on censuses.

Have you any idea how much a druggist employed by another druggist who owned the shop would be paid please?

I should be very grateful thank you.

Ann

Offline esther2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 May 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
This is the first time I have submitted a reply... hope it is done right.  I have an entry on the 1871 census (St.Ann's, Liverpool) of a William Williams, druggist.  He is employing a nephew, William P. Knight (my relative) as a druggist assistant.  In 1881 William P. is listed as same, but in 1891 he is a messenger in an office, so I presume the druggist trade was just a job, and not a career path.  I wonder if the uncle William Williams (born Liverpool C1824), was qualified or, as others have asked, just dabbling in a few remedies.
Thanks
Esther

Offline PEGEE

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 May 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Elin

This is my first posting on Rootschat.  My g-g-grandfather Francis Harding WITT was also a chemist and druggist from 1820 - 1851 in Long Street and Market St. Wotton under Edge. Do you think our relatives knew each other?  I am also trying to find out exactly what a druggist and chemist did and how he acquired his knowledge. Can anyone help?

Philip