Author Topic: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries  (Read 52270 times)

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LINK: Pharmacists, Chemists, Druggists, Apothecaries
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jane
Thank you for your kind offer. If you are not already 'snowed under', perhaps when you get a chance you could check out my g g grandfather for me.
He was John Gray and practised in Bath, Somerset and in 1809 is listed as Apothecary at 5 Kings Street. 1819 has him as Apothecary and chemist at 32 Westgate Street.
His son, John junior, born 1820, was also an Apothecary in Bath in 1840's / 1850's but then disappears.
Any information on either of these would be be much appreciated.
Regards - Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My next definite trip to the society is on 5 June. I can go to the library in the lunch break and look up these people in the registers.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cynfran

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 March 08 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jane
Cynfran
Bath
Liverpool
Antrim
Latheron
Merionethshire
Denbighshire

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I worked for a vet back the days of yore!  We inherited a lovely old book, which was full of old recipes for medicines ointments and liniments. 

It was great fun making up huge quantities of udder cream and horse embrocation.  They always worked too!  The sceptical youngsters that came into the practice, used to laugh at it all, but used them themselves when all else had failed

Of course none of them are allowed to be used now, but then they were in fairly common usage.  I spent many happy hours mixing potions like that.

Rabbit B  ;D
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Those RootsChatters with Irish ancestors should have a look at Apothecaries in Ireland on the Irish Resources board. Sorry there's only a link for Co. Cork at the moment ... I'll have a hunt for others.  http://tiny.cc/mD2d4

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I would be very grateful if you have a chance to look up my 3rd Great Grandfather too.  His is listed in the 1841 census as a druggist, Long Street, Wotton Under Edge, Gloucester.

Many thanks,

Elin
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 May 08 17:30 BST (UK) »
Quite a few of my GUEST relatives were pharmacists and druggists according to the censuses and various certificates.

A distant relative who contacted me via ancestry's web site, had asked the Royal Pharmaceutical Society about one of them, and they had replied to say that he's in the Register of Pharmaceutical Chemists and Chemists & Druggists and for £20 they will be able to dig out the following info:
• Date of registration with the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.
• Type of examination taken, examination number and qualification obtained.
• All registered addresses and the dates they changed.
• Date of removal from the Register and sometimes the reason why (e.g. death).

Seems fairly good value, though neither of us have yet got round to sending off a cheque.  There are a few more I'd like to check too, so this could get a bit expensive!

The one I know is on the Register is Frederick William Guest (b. 1809, a chemist in Tonbridge, then Hawkhurst, then Folkestone, before retiring to London by the time of the 1871 census), but some of his brothers were also in the profession, and most of his sisters married pharmacists:

John Henry Guest (1818-1891, who was a Chemist & Druggist on London's Ratcliffe Highway on the 1841 census (but by 1846 was working on the railway, so I'm not sure whether he would have been registered).

Edward Guest (1821 -), described as a Chemist on his marriage certificate to Margaret Lemon at Clifton, Bristol 17 Feb 1858.

Jane Clarissa Guest (1824-1912) who married Frederick Biggs (1829-) a Chemist & Druggist in Swansea on the 1851, 1861, 1871 censuses, becoming a colliery agent on the 1881 and 1891, though on the 1901 he calls himself a retired chemist, and on his wife's death certificate, he's a Chemist & Druggist.

Charles Guest (1826-1863), a Chemist in Clifton, Bristol in 1849, 1850; a Chemist & Druggist on the 1851 census; a Homeopathic Chemist in the 1851 Mathews Bristol & Clifton Directory; Homeopathic Chemist in Clifton in the 1856 Post Office Directory; a Chemist in 1858, homeopathic chemist on the 1861 census and a Master Chemist on his death certificate.  His shop/residence was at 31 The Triangle, Clifton, Bristol, most of that time.

Ellen Sophia Guest (1827-) married Edwin Wheeler (1831-) in January 1856 in Bristol.  Edwin became a Homeopathic Chemist in Cheltenham (employing an apprentice and a boy on the 1861 census) until Charles Guest (above) died, when he seems to have taken over 31 The Triangle in Clifton.  Though by the 1901 census he's moved to Queen's Rd, Bristol and is described as a Homeopathic Chemist, working at home.

It certainly looks as though there was a distinct marriage network in the pharmaceutical profession in the early to mid 19th century!
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I seem to have kicked off a definite response for those of you with chemists, druggists and pharmacists in your families. I have got the list and will look up as much as I can on 5 June. I have 4 meetings per year at the society so those I cannot look up in June I will look up at the next meeting.

Keep sending in requests and I will endeavour to find out more for you. If you are interested in what they did there are information sheets on the old arts of pill making etc on the Societies website and further information on tracing relatives etc. (but this will be looking up in the registers which is what I have offered to do, though they may do it quicker, but at a cost).

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/informationresources/museum/faqs.html

http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/informationresources/museum/resources/informationsheets.html

These are really interesting and worth a look. I never made pills but made suppositories and ointments etc.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonyUK

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 August 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,

You have definately kicked off something here! I too have an ancestor (my 3x great grandfather) who was listed as a Chemist. He has been a total mystery to me for many years so I would appreciate any help you can give when you get the time to visit the Society.

He is Robert Hammond, who is shown in various records as a Chemist in Westminster, London, between 1835-1840. I beleive he died in 1843.

Many thanks for helping us all with this.

Tony.