Author Topic: Internet Explorer Users Have You been bothered by Monadonarona?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Internet Explorer Users Have You been bothered by Monadonarona?
« on: Saturday 01 March 08 13:49 GMT (UK) »
The "virus" puts a message on the screen. Aside from that, the task manager is disabled, the header of Internet Explorer is modified and when trying to open programs, those programs are shut down immediately.

It appears on the blue bar at the top of IE with the text "Windows live - MonaRonaDona".   When you turn on the computer, half a black page appears and in the corner it announces itself as Mona. It said it was a VIRUS associated with the Human Rights Assn of Tthe world and was taken over you computer, and that as you go along, it will eventually destroy all software savings and hard drive.

The "virus" installs an executable SRVSPOOL.EXE in the startup folder of the all users account. Click Start/Programs/Startup, right click the SRVSPOOL.EXE entry and delete it.

To modify the header of Internet explorer, you can manually type "Microsoft Internet Explorer" to replace the string "MonaRonaDona".

After that, reboot your machine.

Whatever you do, do NOT download and install the virus scanner named UniGray. That "scanner" is a scam, a non-working piece of software. The website tries to get you to register and pay for something that does nothing.

I haven't a clue whether this information is helpful, perhaps one of the computer whizkids on here - Downside are you there? can help out.

Fortunately, I use Mozilla which doesn't seem to be affected and ZoneAlarm knows about this so called virus.

Lizzie

ps.  Somewhere along the line you also need to re-enable Task Manager