Author Topic: Sybilla Sabyna Lane (nee Houseal)  (Read 22124 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
Sybilla Sabyna Lane (nee Houseal)
« on: Monday 03 March 08 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Oh how I wish there was a needle in a haystack message icon!

I'm trying to track down a death date and location for Sybilla. In a book by Brantz Mayer published in 1878 it says that she went to live in Stonehouse, Plymouth - presumably with her mother Sybilla Houseal (nee Mayer) who died in 1824 and who was buried at churchyard of Saint George's, Stonehouse, Plymouth. 

He says in the book that Sybilla Lane moved to Jersey where she stayed with her married sisters and their families, the Bluetts and the Dawkins.  He says that she died there, but not when or where she was buried.

Her children were John Edward Thomas Lane, b. 1790, John Lane b. 1791, Thomas Lane, b. 1792 and George Dawkins Lane b. 1794.  They would all have been born in Nova Scotia as the family did not leave there until Sybilla Lane's father died in 1799.

Anything sound familiar?  Any help would be great!

:)

Cheers
 :D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sybilla Sabyna Lane (nee Houseal)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 March 08 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

So if I was to search the death index would it be safe to say somewhere between 1824 and 1878 - or could it be narrowed down further?

Stewart

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 March 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thanks for that, sadly I don't have any more information to go on,  She was born on 8 January 1763 in Pennsylvania, USA.  She married Thomas Lane in Nova Scotia on 24 November 1789 in Nova Scotia. 

When her father, Bernard Michael Hausihl (he changed his name to Houseal at some point in his travel) died in 1799 she and some of her siblings accompanied her mother to England.  They were Royal / loyalists during the American revoloution and the Duke of Kent paid their way to England.  Both her parents were born in Germany.

Her sister Amelia married George Dawkins in Nova Scotia in 1793, but died in Jersey in 1833. Her son John Edward Lane married  Lauretta M Bluett on 16 May 1832 at St Brelades. Her niece Anna Anstruther married a Bluett too.

Does any of that help?

???

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me

Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

The needle has been found!!

Sybella Sabina Lane, wife of Thomas, died 7th Jan 1837 aged 75 years in St Helier.

It was one of those lucky finds. It took me 2 minutes of search time!!!

Stewart

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
 :o

Hi Stewart,

You are a miracle worker!  I can't wait to let my Cousins and Aunts know.  It was thanks to a wonderful Cousin in York that I got a birth date for her,  and now you have completed the other end of the jigsaw - I'm very grateful  :D

I don't suppose the records have where she is buried? or should I do a new post for that? Having only recently noticed that her son was married on Jersey too I will have to do a post for him too - very exciting!

Thank you so much!

Riwia
New Zealand

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Riwia

Burial records are rather sketchy but I'll see what I can find.

Whilst I'm in the Archive Centre I can do the marriage as well if you give me the details.

Stewart

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your time & effort!  I am still buzzing over having a date for her.  There is a certain air of mystery over her later years.  She returned to England and then Jersey without her husband, but we don't know if she was widowed or if he left, Thomas just seems to have vanished (there is a rumour that he went back to South Carolina and remarried... I'd love to know for sure).

John Edward Lane married  a Miss Lauretta M Bluett on 16 May 1832 at St Brelades.  I've found a lovely site with pictures of a church called St Brelades, is it also the name of an area too?  In which case they might not have been married at that church - I hope they did though, it's beautiful.

I don't know if they had any children because that's as far as I can go on that line.

Any more light you can shed would be most welcome.

Thanks again for all your help!

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 21:07 GMT (UK) »
The island is divided up into 12 Parishes and each one has their own Church. If the marriage was a Church of England marriage then this is where it would have taken place.

St Brelades Church is right by the sea and is also known as the fishermans chapel. It got this name because when the fishermen went off to Canada to fish for cod, this was the last church that they could take Communion.

I live about a mile from the Archive Centre and pass it most days although it is only open Tues to Thurs. I'll see what information I can find for you but it may not be until next week as I'm already doing something Weds and Thurs.

Stewart

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - again! - so much!

I'm glad it's that church.  It would be Church of England as Sybilla Sabyna Houseal's father was a Rev in the Church.  He was originally a Lutheran but retrained and converted while he was in Nova Scotia.