Author Topic: James Hickman  (Read 15571 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Hickman
« Reply #36 on: Friday 24 July 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
James Hickman who was involved with Jane Piper and it was alledged involved with her sister Sarah French nee Piper leading to Sarah poisioning her husband with arsenic in onion pie on Christmas day 1851 although he didnt die until 7th Jan 1852
This James Hickman was the great nephew of George gander whom he lived and worked with in Hellingly - across the border of Chiddingly and i think was in his 20's at the time of the murder therefore he cant be James Hickman b. circa 1779 who m. Sarah Gander 

or am i wrong?
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline DeeB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
How is everyone going with the link of James Hickman/Hickmer to parents and spouse?
Kerry and I are looking for the same Hickman line.
A "Who do you think you are?" expert, Stephen Thomas, suggested a link.
The James christened 11 July 1779 is the son of Richard Hickmer and Ann Thomas.
His siblings are Mary chr 1769, Abigail chr 1772, Eliza Chr 1773, Ann Chr 1774, Sarah chr 1776, Philly chr 1777, James and then Jane chr 1782.
I don't have sources for Richard and Ann's marriage or their birth/christening dates only their children
The suggestion is that Philly and Sarah both had illigitemate children named John.
Sarah's was chr 1792 and Philly's in 1798. One of these may have changed their name to Richard to avoid confusion with their 1st cousin. I am yet to determine which one, if any. Sarah's John from Stephen's research is not found on the 1841 or 1851 census at the time our Richard emigrated to Australia.

Offline jjh030

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 24 September 15 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello - I have come across this chat after a random search of my surname. The James Hickman referred to in the onion pie story was my great-great grandfather.
I probably don't have much information to offer but I am interested in the research that has been done on the family, and will look forward to any developments.

Offline DeeB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 25 September 15 05:08 BST (UK) »
The information I have is
Richard Hickmore (1690)=Elizabeth Mills
son
Richard Hickmore (1718/1720)=Elizabeth Lassender
son
Richard Hickmore (1742)=Ann Thomas     brother      William Hickmore (1747)=???Mary Baker
son James Hickmer (chr 11 July 1779)                    son James Hickmer (1787)=??Sarah Gander
                                                                          son Richard Hickmer (chr 2 July 1815) chiddingly
If you have any evidence of names and dates
of William Hickmore and wife
James (1787) and wife
and Richard (1815) and wife that would be marvellous?????

I'm descended hopefully from Richard Hickmore and Ann Thomas so our common ancestor
would be Elizabeth Lassender and Richard Hickmore (1718/1720)
Our family's issue is we can't verify whether any of the John Hickmer's changed their name to Richard Hickmore (Hickman) which was the name of my great-great-great grandfather who emigrated to Australia in 1841.