Author Topic: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings  (Read 31549 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 May 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara, welcome to rootschat :)

It's so nice to find someone who has a real connection to the people in this scrapbook. I know it has really helped me to get a better picture of what my family were like from the brief descriptions made by James Lawrence. I would be very glad to get the chance to chat to you sometime. When you have made 3 posts you will be able to use the PM service and we could exchange emails if you wish, or just post on the boards. Maybe other people with links would find the posts like you did?

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 June 09 01:08 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you!  I think I would prefer to email rather than post.  Like you I would like to get a clearer picture of life for my greats.  Not always easy when you live in Canada... Does this count as a second post?
Cumming: Woodside Aberdeen
Lawrence: Banffshire, Aberdeenshire, Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 June 09 14:41 BST (UK) »
Yes it does!

Offline fifer56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 June 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
kirsty

just came across your post and wondered if you have any mention of lochiels in your book.

i know family lived at 95 chapel st turriff at one point

this is just a long shot,but if you have any any info would be appreciated

norrie
lochiel aberdeenshire,cunninghams edinburgh/lanarkshire

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 June 09 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie

I'll have a wee look when I get time and let you know. It can take a while to get through all the articles.

Kirsty

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 June 09 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I've been through all the book now and nothing found I'm afraid.

Kirsty

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 June 09 10:32 BST (UK) »
There are also a couple of articles on the Rev. George Rainy Kennedy of Dornoch, written as obituaries (1899). If anyone is interested in them I could transcribe them. There is also a sketch of the reverend whcih could be scanned.

Offline bmwgem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 July 09 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

You mentioned thr name Milne in your list of names. Can you tell me more as I am researching Milne.

Regards

Gemma

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 01 August 09 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gemma, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I have come across a couple of mentions of Milne's but they can be somewhat vague. I will put them in context where I can.

From an article entitled "At New Byth"

James Lawrence states that Stackhill o' Byth was the place of his nativity and goes on

"Several Years ago I called at the cottage door, and was well received by the then tenants, a Mrs Milne frae the Howe o' Byth. She gave me a "curly cake" (but with no "carveys" in it like the promised Leith ones) with butter well laid on. I then photographed the auld place. Puir Sowl, she garred the tears rin fan she took frae a boxie a number o' my ain letters an' verses she had cuttit frae some papers"

From "The Ace of Spades"
"My own memories of faces and names are limited, but have been supplemented by "refreshers" from my mother, who goes back eighty years. "Jamie Meldrum and his wife Katie Wildgoose are made to live anew, through anecdote and "ploy," while the little shop of "Jamie" Milne "pronounced "Mull"), is again the venue of many a pleasant moment."

"Centenarians are not sand thick even in Buchan, but they are not altogether novelties, and I have a notion that Auld Betty Milne of Byth reached the goal. Given the sanitation of cities, together with the fresh air from Pisgah and the Auchry Woods, a couple of hundred would soon become teh recognised "reaching." "Carrier" Mackie looms up chatty and Jocund as ever. Some of the "greyheads" who read these lines may recall "Geordie" Milne, popularly, and maybe affectionately, known as the "Professor." He was a "crack," at once entertaining and helpful, although not always a stickler for veracity. Then there was another Milne, one who did carting jobs, using, at one period, a Stallion."

"There was the Walker family and more "Mulls" towards the Stackhull, and a "rickle" of stones and dry clay mark where once dwelt Weedow Murdoch, an old lady dear to me."

From "The New Churchyard  King Edward"

From a list of children remembered from Schooldays by my Great grandfather
"Then at the schoolhouse itself were Nellie, John, and Tom Milne."

"As a closing word to-day let me set on record my deep regret at the absence somewhere near by the scene of his labours, of a visible appreciation of the altogether incalculable services rendered by that doyen of dominies, Dr John Milne. I know not where he is buried, but do know that he lives in  hundreds of minds to-day in all parts of the world. Surely if ever teacher deserved posthumous honouring it was this great patient scholar."

This article was answered by a letter "From Chicago", written by Charles Meldrum which was duly published. The relevant section I have transribed.

"You enquire regarding the burial place of Dr John Milne. I can give you information on that point. Last year while in Scotland I had occasion to visit Springbank Cemetery, Aberdeen, and almost the first tombstone I saw was one erected to "the memory of Dr John Milne, late schoolmaster of King-Edward," &c. "

The letter also  entions a visit during the summer of 1921 (which we gather to have been over a year previously), which should give an indication of the era in which these articles were written.

From "Selections from Correspondance"
"In my postscript last week I mentioned receipt of a few photographs. They came from Mr Duncan, of the Temperance Hotel, Crieff....
...Half-a-dozen smaller photos show his family and friends, including Miss Mary Milne of King Edward whos mother I knew well."

I will read further when I have time and see if there are any other mentions of Milnes and let you know if I find anything of interest.

Hope this helps

Kirsty