Author Topic: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings  (Read 31445 times)

Offline BruceIrvine145

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings
« Reply #36 on: Monday 11 January 10 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have recently started doing my family tree and have come across two of my ancestors (HUSBAND and WIFE) Dieing on the same day. The date of there deaths was the 9th DEC 1898 but is unclear where there death took place. I know that they were born in Aberdeenshire and don't have any evidence to say that they left Aberdeen. There Names are Alexander Garioch and Anne Garioch, Maiden Name ( Towns). If anyone knows of any newspaper articles dating around the day of there death to do with them it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 11 January 10 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce, welcome to rootschat :)

I'm afraid I don't seem to have anything on your Gariochs in my newspaper cuttings.
Have you seen their death certificates?  If you are having trouble and would like help it might be worth starting your own thread.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline woiiftm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 19 February 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »

Hello Kirsty,

Any chance you have come across the surname KEMP in your material ?

Regards

Gordon

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry, I haven't noticed that name in the Aberdeenshire articles.

Kirsty

Offline wwhaley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

I have been trying to gather information on the Scrogie side.  With some search I have found the conversation you had in July 2008 and hope you are able to still help. Please see your conversation below.

The information I currently have is Helen Jean Scrogie (1878) Aberdeen, Scotland.  Helen Immigrated to Canada in the 1900’s (do not have exact year) and settled in Winnipeg, Manitoba (I am sill looking for her immigration papers).  Through stories I was told Helen had a sister that also immigrated to Canada, settling in to Alberta, Canada. I was able to find an Elizabeth Scrogie’s Immigration papers into Canada.

Elisabeth Scrogie arrived on 17 Nov 1924. I was able to confirm this to be a sister as she used Helen Jean Scrogie’s married name and home address on arrival.  The immigration papers also reference a sister Alice Scrogie.

Through Census I was able to narrow the family down to:
Father: Alexander Scogie (abt 1847) Believed to be born in Turriff, Aberdeen.
Mother: Ann Scrogie (abt 1847), Believed to be born in Kirkden, Forfar
Elizabeth Scrogie
Isabella Scrogie
Marianne Scrogie
Helen Scrogie (1878)
Alice Scrogie

Any information you have to confirm and add to my research would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
W

Thanks very much Kirsty. According to my records James Scorgie and Isobel Sangster (who died Hill of Cotburn in 1873) had at least one son called Alexander (b Gamrie 1820) who married Isabella Kelman in 1843. They had
quite a few kids - one of whom was called George (b 1863 - also one born 1869) and another called Jane (b 1866). These might be the ones you mention. Isa might be either the Isabella Kelman (or even Isobel Sangster) mentioned above or her daughter Isabella (b 1854). Geordie I suppose is George. I don't have any mention of a Sally.

Another of their sons was Alexander Scorgie (b 1848 in Easter Bonnyton) - he moved down to St Vigeans, married Anne Smith and had my paternal grandmother!

Anyway - thanks for your help - I know what it's like to come across these old clippings and things. Two of my great grandfather's brothers (Raitt) emigrated to the USA in the mid-1850s and I recently came across my American cousins and they sent me some newspaper clippings and a journal one of them wrote about the arrival in the new land!

Regards

David

Offline MoreGubbins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 14 April 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
Charlotte married James Donald, also a schoolmaster, who eventually went to St Andrews, Elgin (Moray). James and Charlotte were my ggggrandparents and this is as far back as I go on them.

Hi Barbara,

I have a Rev. James Donald who seems very similar to your Rev. James Donald, but the dates don't match up. I do wonder if he could be related, though.

Rev. James Donald was baptised 07 06 1801 at [Mill of] Whitehaugh, Chapel of Garioch, son of William Donald and Agnes Norval. He graduated with a Master of Arts from Marischal College, Aberdeen, in 1819. William Donald is present in Chapel of Garioch in the 1841 census, while James Donald is listed in Cluny as a "preacher". James may have died in 1864 in Fintray.

Furthermore, there is a James Donald listed in the 1799 tax returns in Mill of Whitehaugh, who is presumably some relation to him.

Entering the priesthood is relatively rare - out of 100-or-so Donald families I'm following in the area, only four contain members of the clergy. It was also not uncommon for their male relations to follow in their footsteps. I can offer no proof at this stage, but I would not be at all surprised if this family turns out to be connected to your own.

- Iain.

Offline gealachmor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 03 June 12 00:39 BST (UK) »
Stumbled across this old post and wondered if Kirsty was still active on here.

I'm very interested in learning if there any mentions of the Duncans in your clippings.

My family worked at the Hatton Estates, Turriff for many, many years, as Gamekeeper, general labourers and domestic servants.
They were all from King Edward(early gens) or born on the Estate.

Alexander (4 generations of), Isabella, George, John.

thanks

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 15:22 BST (UK) »
I am still around, albeit intermittently!

There are lots of mentions of Duncans in the clippings, more than one family. The Duncans of Balchers feature notably as they were hosts for various local events. The newpaper clippings were taken by a member of one of the Duncan families of King Edward/Turriff.

Much of the info I have has already been posted in this thread but I will try and see if there is anything else of interest in the scrapbook. I have been attempting to scan the pages as the original is in a somewhat frail condition now but with mixed results.

Kirsty

Offline joannes

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 10 June 12 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirsty - I was wondering if you have any information on the Sim and Hay families in the newspaper articles.  I am looking for a George Sim (born around 1877 and married Margaret Hay.  George's parents were Charles Sim and Mary Chrighton, they were married at New Deer on December 15, 1866.
Thank you!
Joanne