Author Topic: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings  (Read 31448 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have just gained access to a scrapbook of newspaper clippings kept by my Great Grandfather which includes among many articles Notices of Marriages and Deaths of people that he knew or was related to. He came from King Edward and it has mentions of Turriff, Alvah, Fyvie, Monquhitter, New Deer and many other places, including some sons of Aberdeen who went to New Zealand. As it is rather large and delicate it would be a rather cumbersome job to transcribe it all for your inspection, however i shall try and list some of the personal notices.

Most of the contents date from 1894 to 1904, the majority being 1896-1899.
Anyone who wants more information may feel free to ask, but i can make no promises as to what is in there!

The first few transcripts will follow. I would like to give copywrite credit where due but unfortunately there is no hint given as to what publication they are from, although most are the result of a personal advertisement and therefore presumably authored by the families of those mentioned.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeenshire Newspaper Clippings
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I apologise for the rather haphazard nature of the information, but this is how they are presented in the scrapbook. i shall try and enter them here in roughly chronological order, although there are not always full dates written with them.

December 26th 1896
"At the Fife Arms Hotel, MacDuff, on the 26th Dec., by the Rev. R. Coupar, JOHN ANGUS, storekeeper, Waterloo Station, Aberdeen, to MARY, youngest daughter of ANDREW TULLOCH, Longmanhill."

"At Prospect Hill, Turriff, on the 9th inst., MARY BELLA, youngest daughter of WILLIAM and ANN MATHIESON. Aged 1 year and 7 months - dearly loved and deeply regretted."
"At 5 Rae Street, Turriff, on the 12th inst., infant son of BARBARA and DONALD CRANNA, aged 2 months."

June 18th 1898

"DUNCAN : NICOL. - At the Royal Hotel, Aberdeen, on the 18th instant, by the Rev. Dr Stark, JAMES DUNCAN, farmer, Upper Oldmill, to MAGGIE, youngest daughter of John Nicol, farmer, Netherbrae, Fishie."

July 2nd 1898
"At Chapel Street, Turriff, on the 2d July, MARY ANDERSON, widow of William Anderson, Hill of Ardmiddle, in her 89th year."

July 17th 1898
"DUNCAN - At Crossfields, Turriff, on Sunday, 17th July, MARGARET MURRAY, wife of Harry Duncan, Aged 61 years."

December 1st 1898
"ADAMSON-CHAMBERS. - At 96 Buccleugh Street, Edinburgh, on the 1st Inst., by the Rev. John Alison, D.D., DONALD ADAMSON, to JEANNIE, eldest daughter of the late ANDREW CHAMBERS, Alvah, Banffhire."

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 12:21 GMT (UK) »
March 22nd 1896
"On 22d March, JAMES STEVENSON, aged 71 years, Superintendent of Police, New Norfolk, Tasmania, eldest son of the late James Stevenson, Shoemaker, Old Aberdeen."

August 11th 1998
"At Limehills, Winton, Southland, New Zealand, after a short illness, on the 11th August, ALEXANDER COWIE, aged 52, eldest son of James Cowie, Easterbo , King Edward"

October 2nd 1898
"At Buffalo, New Zealand, on the 2d inst., of typhoid fever, GEORGE, youngest son of JAMES DUNCAN, Church Street, Turriff."

November 1898
"At Mill of Crichie, Fyvie, on the 1st inst., ALEXANDER HAY, miller, aged 77 years."

"At Slacadale, Turriff, the residence of her mother, on the 9th inst., AGNES ISABELLA CHAPMAN, wife of WILLIAM HOWLIE GORDON, Broomhills, Fraserburgh, and fourth daughter of the late John Chapman, Bonnytownhill, New Aberdour - deeply regretted. Funeral on Monday, the 14th inst., leaving Slacadale at 11A.M., to Pitsligo Churchyard. Friends accept this the only intimation and invitation."

"At No. 4 Reidhaven Street, Banff. on the 12th inst., ISABELLA MARGARET GLENNIE, widow of GEORGE SUTHERLAND, Mains of Blackton, King Edward, aged 82 years."

"At Broomhill, King Edward, on the 23d inst., ISABELLA ROY, the wife of GEORGE HENDERSON, aged 70 years."

December 1898
"COOKE- DAWSON.- At 14 Fountainhall Road, Edinburgh, on the 1st inst., by the Rev. J. S. Bowie, of West Port Free Church, ANDREW COOKE, to KATE, second daughter of the late James Dawson, Draper, Turiff."

"At Kerr's Hall, New Mand, on 10th Dec., by the Rev. W. Adams, New Deer, WILLIAM ELLIS, Hill of Cotburn, Monquhitter to JESSIE, youngest daughter of JOHN NORRIE, Montlettie, Methlick."

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 08 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty,

If you come across any Mutch or Crighton references, possibly from around New Deer, I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

I also see that you have Irvine in your list of names.  Where are they from?  My Irvine's are mostly from round Brechin / Montrose area, but some went to Australia.

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 08 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,
I'll have a look. I'm a bit busy this weekend so it might be a couple of days until i get back to you on this.
I haven't had much time to look at the Irvine line, i'm only just getting started!

Kirsty

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 08 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jim,

No sign of Mutch or Crighton that I can find.

Other than the entries I have already posted, much of the scrapbook is taken up with articles from ("The Aberdeenshire Journal" ? or) " The Banffshire Journal"? the articles being written by James Lawrence, a King Edward loon himself laterly residing in Newcastle upon Tyne, who writes about many places and characters he remembers from his youth and his visits home.

If anyone is researching families in this area there are lists of siblings that attended the school together in the 1860-70s (from the memories of those they attended with), reminicances of old characters from the area, and some information as to where people went as they grew older, and in some cases where they are buried.

Families include: LUMSDEN, SCORGIES, ELLIS, COWIE, LAWRENCE, SIM, MACDONALD, STEWART, KEITH, FORBES, SHACKLETON, PATTERSON, KIDD, FYVIE, DUFF, WILSON, SMART,  HENDERSON, HAY, KESSACK, CRUIKSHANK, RUNCIMAN, MILNE, CAMPBELL, DALY, MCRAE, DUNCAN (several families). There are many other names mentioned in passing, too many to list, mostly from Turriff or King Edward.

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking Kirsty.

Bit of a long shot in any case.

Cheers
Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for your kind offer. I noticed that you listed Henderson...I'd be interested in any Hendersons of King Edward and Fyvie that you might have come across...I have a few born there earlier than your time scale but who would still have been around later on in the area. If there are too many Hendersons to list then the ones that I would be most interested in would be James, Isabel, Peter, Euan and Frederick Henderson.
Thanks
Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

I do have mention of a few Hendersons of King Edward.
As posted above:

November 1898
"At Broomhill, King Edward, on the 23d inst., ISABELLA ROY, the wife of GEORGE HENDERSON, aged 70 years."

Also

"Silver Wedding
At Mains of Byth, King Edward, in November 1873, by the Rev, John Falconer, New Byth, WILLIAM WEBSTER, sawmiller, Meldrum House, to ANNIE, fourth daughter of ALEXANDER HENDERSON, farmer, Mains of Byth. Present address, 11 Young Street, Aberdeen."

An ANDREW HENDERSON is mentioned  in an Article on "The New Churchyard, King Edward" under a section on New Byth, but no dates are given, although I think it would be from around 1850 ( give or take a decade or two) given the context, the next article contains a correction which throws reference points into confusion!

"The Hendersons, Brownhill" are mentioned in a list of families well remembered by my great grandfather in a letter to the author of the article (James Lawrence). 

JOHN HENDERSON is given as the reciter of the "Broken Bowl" in a correction to a previous article which unfortunately I don't have.

That seems to be all I have on the Hendersons. Hope some of it is helpful.

Kirsty