Author Topic: Poulton-cum-Seacombe living conditions in 1851  (Read 8231 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Poulton-cum-Seacombe living conditions in 1851
« on: Thursday 06 March 08 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Did your ancestors live here during this time?

Rowlinsons Report on the district of Poulton-cum-Seacombe 1851

I found among many other reports, the council held a meeting in Parry’s Seacombe Hotel along with solicitors, surveyors’ property owners and the likes. To discuss I presume complaints from the public on the conditions in which they had to live. Which was absolutely awful?
This is just a small part of the report

In the company of Mr * I inspected some parts of the district and found many instances of defective drainage, as of overcrowding. Some of the courts & cottages are in the most wretched state possible. In no town in England is there more actual filth and all that may produce is decease than in certain portions of the comparatively rural village of seacombe; the ravages of fever & cholera bear the truth of the statement. There are also Terraces of houses pleasantly situated, and yet for the want of sewers and drains they are in bad condition
Oakdale Terrace & Bidstone Terrace- The whole refuse from the houses in these terraces’ is passed by surface drains and a sewer out into an open ditch, the course of which is passed the end of Oakdale terrace. This ditch is comparatively stagnant, and is very foul
Victoria court, behind houses fronting Demesne Street. This court is entered by a narrow covered passage; the court forming a square, without proper means of ventilation. In the centre are privies, and a large cesspool (which receives the refuse from the houses) and remains for months at a time. Generating poisonous gases, according to the best medical testimony most prejudicial to health. I have never inspected a court in a worst condition. Fever is common amongst the inhabitants, & cholera had prevailed. There is a slaughter house & and a pig meat boiling establishment, not far distance which is a great nuisance
Little street & neighborhood.There no drainage to the cottages.
Mersey Street.- the cottages in this street have stables underneath them. There is also a row of privies in the foulest possible condition
Hawthorn Cottages-privies are crowded upon the inhabited rooms.(Back King street was even worse)

No wonder so many people emigrated

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poulton-cum-Seacombe living conditions in 1851
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 08 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I think my ancestors from Durham arrived there about ten years later.  It always had a bad reputation and to be honest still does in parts. Very handy for work on the docks, railways or the potteries of the time I suppose? My lot were iron workers.

If you look at some of the old adverts in the Wallasey papers of the time and people are looking to rent accommodation, it often says "not Seacombe".  No wonder really.

My great grandmother had shops in Desmesne street but seemed to have moved a number of times.  Only moved within Desmesne street but moved none the less.  :) It's rather a strange name for a street when you think of it.  Any idea where it comes from or what it means? Pronounced de main!

We think of cholera as something that you might catch in India or somewhere like that but it was a very real problem in the UK many years ago due to fouling of the drinking water supply by sewerage. Nice!  :-X
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 March 08 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I took a photo of Demesne street last year for Maureen?think her grandmother lived there? I never realized it was such a long street originally.
We think of cholera as something that you might catch in India or somewhere like that but it was a very real problem in the UK many years ago due to fouling of the drinking water supply by sewerage. Nice! 

The seafarers where also blamed at one time,because seacombe was full of them.They were in foreign countries and maybe brought back all sorts of infections. Thank you for the proper pronunciation ;D I had forgotten it.When i was there last year i asked a lady when the houses in Dem-es-ne
street where demolished,she said we pronounce it demain ??? where did they get the spelling for that?
The people that lived there during those horrid years i would say were the pioneers of Seacombe.
Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 March 08 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Re The demesne street (plus other)mentioned above, i found there is an early photo of it in one of books by Ian & Marilyn Boumphrey.Haven't seen it before its got medical in the title ::)
It was for sale though,i don't know if they have them to borrow.Just thought i would let you know.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 March 08 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I think I know the one you mean and will look it up next time I am at Earlston road.  I can remember Demesne (I still have to check the spelling each time  :) ) street being quite full of big old houses and some shops. On the odd occasion after going to the baths we would walk down to the ferry to get the bus home instead of getting it on Brighton street. Seemed quite a dark miserable street on one side at the time, probably due to the fact that the sun was blocked by the same big houses.

If you get the chance look up Millington in the street and you will see they lived at various numbers. Some kind of dealers, carters or shop keepers.  Part of a well known Wallasey boot and shoe maker family and my paternal ancestors.
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 March 08 22:07 GMT (UK) »
That book also mentions the Rawlinson report above,How strange :)I only had a quick look through it.I had thought it was a long row of houses,it seems it had hotels,pubs and there was even a hospital in the street.I would never have associated seacombe having one.The photo of Demesne street was taken in 1800 i think.It is exactly as Rawlinson described it.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 March 08 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Just found this on another site Celia. Very strange the way these things appear as if by magic once you mention them.

Demesne is a really olde English word, from before 1066 and all that. Only law students read about it these days.

It refers to land that is owned free and clear of all strings - and there was a time when such was rare even though today it is almost entirely the usual arrangement. Once commonplace were leasehold (term for years) and Copyhold - an obligation to do annual services (typically harvesting) for the Manor as a condition of ownership.
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 March 08 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Very strange the way these things appear as if by magic once you mention them.
Yes i know :) when i was doing streets around seacombe re various records.I would be on different research and i would see the name of the street i had found done a bit of history on and taken photo's.Then on to the next one,thats how i found Demesne street when i was looking Rowlinson's report.I cant even remember why i was looking in it now ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline jpebbles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 November 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have just discovered some of my Millington ancestors lived in Poulton-cum-Seacombe. My ancestral uncle David was a bootmaker in Wallasey, his father James was a shoemaker in Tranmere. Davids brother John was my 3 x great grandfather, and their youngest brother Thomas lived in Demesne Street in 1861 census. Thomas was a dock labourer. Johns daughter migrated to Australia, so I'm trying to find out more on my ancestors in Cheshire and how they lived.