Author Topic: John Stuart Scarth and Napoleonic wars  (Read 9605 times)

Offline azurewood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stuart Scarth and Napoleonic wars
« on: Friday 07 March 08 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I am looking for any information on John Stuart Scarth (b. about 1809), husband of May Linklater and father of William Baikie Scarth (b. 1834). I have the data from the 1841 and '51 censuses, when the family lived at Stromness and Kirkwall, respectively. I am especially seeking the names of his parents.

Some things we know about him are that he was born 'on the line of march' in Portugal about 1809, when the British army was fighting Napoleon in the Peninsula; he was at some time part of the Kirkwall Volunteers; and he was at some time precentor of St. Magnus Cathedral. He later, perhaps in the '70s, moved with his wife to Liverpool, where they lived with William Baikie Scarth.

I see James Irvine Robertson mentions a John Scarth in his journal of 1851, but it's not clear it's John Stuart Scarth, and probably isn't; but I'm wondering. Also there was a John Scarth, born Kirkwall, Orkney, aged 43, discharged from the 71st Foot Regiment of the Northumberland Fencibles sometime between 1795 and 1819. John Stuart Scarth's father? Is there a list of precentors of St. Magnus Cathedral?

Any leads would be awesome.

Thanks much!

Azurewood

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Stuart Scarth and Napoleonic wars
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 January 09 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I dont know if you are interested but I am admin to the SCARTH surname LIST:-

To join SCARTH-L, send mail to SCARTH-L-request@rootsweb.com with the single word subscribe in the message subject and body

I do know that at least one subscriber has intgerest in Orkney

Kevin

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 January 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the cursiter.com website? John Stuart Scarth is mentioned, also his children.

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 January 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Found John Stuart Scarth married Mary Linklatter( spelt with a double tt ?) on 22/4/1830 in Kirkwall by Rev William Logie witnesses were james Laughton and James Bankier.

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 January 09 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi just me again, also found a John Scarth died 1881 aged 60 in Kirkwall and St Ola. Its possible if he died in the Kirkwall area that he is likely buried in St Olaf Cemetery just outside Kirkwall.

akc

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 January 09 19:25 GMT (UK) »
William B  (Bakie? ) Scarth b 1834 Kirkwall was living in London in the 1851

The a William B Scarth b 1834 is living at West Derby Liverpool in 1891

Thare are marriages shown at Liverpool 1882, and 1890 for a William Baikie Scarth

See my prevouse message about the Scarth List I am sure that it will be able to help you

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I see from the census data in 1841 he lived in  Stromness, 1851 Victoria St, Kirkwall, 1871 Ayre, Kirkwall, not found the 1861 yet, and then in 1881 he was in Liverpool. I was trying to see if there were any familiar names connected to him on the Orcadian censuses, as I live in Orkney and I am familiar with the name of Scarth but nothing yet.

akc

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 January 09 21:17 GMT (UK) »
You could try the Orkney Family History Society, they might be able to help you, they are in the Orkney Library,44 Junction Road, Kirkwall 01856 875260

akc

Offline HevsiH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:42 BST (UK) »

I see James Irvine Robertson mentions a John Scarth in his journal of 1851, but it's not clear it's John Stuart Scarth, and probably isn't; but I'm wondering.

Hi, I know I'm late coming in on this but I can confirm that the John Scarth referred to in James Robertson's journal of 1851 is not the one you are looking for. 

"Tuesday 18 March 1851
...Dined with R and John Scarth at Mrs Patersons. Home at half past 7."

The R Scarth is my GG Grandfather, Robert Scarth of Binscarth (1799-1879) and John is his brother, the Reverend John Riddoch Scarth (1806-1871) minister at Sandwick in Shetland. 

James Robertson would later, in 1859, marry Robert and John Scarth's niece, Harriet Logie, the daughter of the Reverend William Logie and his wife Elizabeth Scarth (Robert and John's elder sister).

Later still, Robert Scarth's grandson Colonel Henry William Scarth would marry Mary Beatrix Robertson, the granddaughter of James and Harriet Robertson through their son Duncan John so the families continued to be closely related.