Author Topic: William Costello  (Read 52818 times)

Offline Pete Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Costello
« on: Friday 07 March 08 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out details of my great grandfather William Costello born in 1844.

He married my great grandmother in New Zealand in 1877 after emigrating from Ireland (possibly via Australia).

His marriage and death records show that he was born in Knocknamalough, O'Dorney, County Kerry.

I visited the County in 1994 and visited the Costello family. I met his great nephew Eugene who was in his nineties at the time and told me that william was one of three brothers who left the area.

I am not sure of the date he left.

If anybody could provide me with information or could point me towards a resource where I could undertake further searches, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Costello
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 08 09:09 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already done so the church records would probably give more details on the family. You can check LDS catalogue (www.familysearch.org) to see if they have copies of the church records. If so, you can order the microfilm from your local LDS library for a small fee to view there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FMN17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Peter,
I have just come across your message today. My great grandmother was Catherine Costello, who married John Nolan, both of whom came from Knocknamalough - in fact they lived only about a quarter of a mile apart - married in New Zealand in 1865.

My name is Frank Nolan and I currently live in London. I have been following this Nolan Costello family for about 25 years. I do not think that I have any photographs of Costellos, apart from my great grandmother. One of my father's cousins is still alive aged 92 and I have got a lot of information from her, but I do not think that she knew your grandparents family. However she knew Annie Stack and the family of Edmond Costello - see below.

Catherine was daughter of Maurice Costello and Jane Day and was baptised at Abbeydorney Parish on March 26 1842. I visited the church last Easter and saw a copy of the baptism. There were also baptisms for a sister Mary - March 18 1836, Thomas March 12 1838, and Maurice November 3 1839. I did not find any further baptisms, but it was very difficult to read some of the old writing.

There was also a brother of Maurice Costello (husband of Jane Day) - Edmond married to Mary Devine, and I found two daughters baptised Honora 1836 and Mary 1843.

I was aware of several of Catherine Costello's siblings migrating to New Zealand. Jane Costello, married Hubert Ferguson on August 5 1865 - he was a prison warden and later an Inspector of Factories - lived in many places in new Zealand - Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland; Edmond Costello, married Kate Fahey March 24 1888 - first lived around Hampden, but mainly around Gore and died in Dunedin - Edmond  - listed generally as a contractor. There may also be two nieces in New Zealand - one definitely - Annie Stack, who was the daughter of Elizabeth Costello - sister of Catherine, Maurice, Edmond and Jane - and Jerold Stack. Annie married Robert Gibb who farmed on the Taieri - she later lived in Dunedin. There was also another Catherine Costello daughter of Thomas Costello - perhaps another brother of the above - and Nora Cavanagh - who married Alexander Hoffman of Gore.

And then there is your great grandfather William Costello who married Bridget Flynn (or Glynn) at St Mary's Invercargil on November 1 1877. I have first found William on the electoral rolls in 1879 with a free hold section in East Gore, then in 1882 as a hotel keeper in Gore, 1883/84 at the Commercial Hotel in Gore, then 1885/86 at the Universal Hotel in Gore. By 1896 he is a farmer in Cheviot - it is a little confusing here as there are other Costellos in Cheviot as well. By 1908 they are settled in Rotorua, with William dying at Te Pu on July 8 1918 and Bridget on November 12 1914.

I have had some difficulty tracing their children, but what I have is something like: Jane Costello born Gore March 22 1879, Patrick John Costello born Gore December 25 1880 died France May 11 1917, Bridget Ann Costello born Gore August 1 1884, Maurice Costello born Gore October 8 1885 died Wairoa March 16 1936 - a horse trainer - married Annie? 1908, William Andrew Costello born Gore April 11 1889 died Gore December 9 1889, Thomas Stephen Costello born Gore December 26 1890, Mary Ann Costello born Gore June 6 1892, Margaret Catherine Ellen Costello born Gore October 12 1893 [I have baptism records for all of these except Patrick - Edward Costello is godfather for Jane, Annie Stack is godmother for Bridget, and Catherine Nolan likewise for the last - so links are there]. I think that there may have been two other children born in Cheviot, but with other Costellos, I have not looked further - perhaps Elizabeth May and William Joseph?? - this matches up with the number of children on William's death certificate. I was also aware that Jane may have married Thomas Dunn - which is where Peter Dunn must come from??

When I visited Kilgulbin last year I visited both the Nolan and Costello families - Eugene had died in 2002, but his youngest some Maurice is now on the farm. They were about to demolish the old house and build a new one next to it.

I have the Census records from Kilgulbin in 1901 and 1911. Eugene's grandfather was Denis Costello who was born about 1836 - again could not find the baptism for a Denis, BUT I am presuming that he is another brother of Catherine, Jane, Maurice, William who all migrated to New Zealand. They had children Daniel, Kate, Annie,... Eugene's father was Daniel, married to Kate, with children Kate, Denis, Madge, Jane, Christina, and Eugene (in 1911). The grandfather Denis was still alive in 1911.

There is still quite a bit on the land that the Costello's had from the Valuation rolls. The County Kerry Archive has a 1835 Tithe Appointment Book with Knocknamallough: tenants Maurice and Edmond Costello: acreage 81 acres, 2 roods and 24 perches. In the Griffith Valuation in 1853 Maurice Costello had land in Kilgulbin East - section 5A and B 42 acres, plus section 6B - house of 1 acre, while Edmond had section 6A - 38 acres - these add to about the 81 acres above.

Hope that this is helpful and you can fill in some of the gaps.

Regards,

Frank Nolan

Offline Pete Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,

Wow that is fantastic and fills in so many gaps.

It is indeed the same family.

My Grandmother (who died in 1957 - before I was born) was Jane (or Jennie). She married Thomas Dunn from Tanfield in Durham at Waiouru, New Zealand on 1 July 1908.

They had three children - including my father who was born in 1921 in Te Pu in Rotorua.

I have access to records on the other Costello siblings but will need to pull them out. On Monday this week my father's 2nd cousin (who was Bridget Costello's daughter) had her 80th birthday so I was able to share this with her.

My wife and I visited Ireland in 1994 and went to County Kerry. We met Eugene and the rest of the family. He was able to remember stories of the three brothers going to NZ. His recollection was that they went to Australia first gold prospecting.

I have some photographs of Jane Costello which I can send through.

My email address *** If you would send through an email I can scan some photos for you plus attach a copy of the records I have.

Thanks enormously.

Pete

Email addy removed to prevent spamming and other abuses.  Please use RootsChat's safe and secure Personal Messaging system to exchange personal data - keep safe!

Offline FMN17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 April 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
Peter,
Thank you for the response the other week. Unfortunately this web site will not allow you to enter email addresses, so I can not get to you directly. I think there is a work around with Personal Messages, which I tried to send to you last week, but it may not have worked. If you can give me the town you live in I can look up the telephone book and give you a call perhaps?

Regards
Frank

Offline Kay Marie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 09 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pete/Frank.  I have read your notes re the NZ Costello's.  I am a great grand-daughter of Elizabeth Costello, and while some of your names are not in my tree (yet!), some may be.  What I find interesting is that many of your ancestors come from Gore & Cheviot, as do mine.  My grandfather was Michael Costello (father also Michael Costello) and he had a threshing business in the area.  I would like to hear from you if you have any information to share.  Thank you!  (I have many, many NZ Costello's in my tree).  Mine arrived in 1876/1877, but I have no mention yet of any siblings.
Kay

Offline Piata Costello

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 August 09 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi ..this information may not be what you want, but any way.  Maybe even they are different William Costello's as someone said there are many in Cheviot. They sound similar apart from date of birth and wife.  They are from the same place in Ireland though.

I have been researching about the Costello's.  William Costello, born 1840 is my great -great Grandfather. He emigrated from Ireland to Cheviot, North Canterbury, NZ.  He married Eliza Jane Dalzell, born 1858, Northern Ireland, who moved to NZ.  Him getting married to someone else is likely, but Eliza and him had 9 children together. His son Thomas had a son Thomas (my grandad), who had a son Thomas (my uncle) :) for a change.  The Costello's are still farming around North Canterbury, NZ in Hawarden (close to Cheviot).  My grandfather will know a lot more about William. I have a very large family tree though.

Offline Pikonini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ..this information may not be what you want, but any way.  Maybe even they are different William Costello's as someone said there are many in Cheviot. They sound similar apart from date of birth and wife.  They are from the same place in Ireland though.

I have been researching about the Costello's.  William Costello, born 1840 is my great -great Grandfather. He emigrated from Ireland to Cheviot, North Canterbury, NZ.  He married Eliza Jane Dalzell, born 1858, Northern Ireland, who moved to NZ.  Him getting married to someone else is likely, but Eliza and him had 9 children together. His son Thomas had a son Thomas (my grandad), who had a son Thomas (my uncle) :) for a change.  The Costello's are still farming around North Canterbury, NZ in Hawarden (close to Cheviot).  My grandfather will know a lot more about William. I have a very large family tree though.
Eliza Jane Dalzell was my great great grandmother and I have a wonderful picture of her.  If so it may be a picture of William Costello's mother.

Offline John-NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scots Irish English Cornish Welsh to New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 10 00:35 GMT (UK) »
 ;D My name is John McKenzie.  I share my Costello, Nolan, Hanlon/O'Hanlon and O'Halloran maternal Irish connections with my cousin Frank Nolan's paternal connections.
Denis Costello is definitely a brother of Catherine, Jane, Edmond, Thomas, William, Mary, Maurice, and Elizabeth Costello. 
Abbeydorney parish records show the marriage of Denis Costello to Catherine Carroll of Fortwilliam on 9 February 1864.  Groom's parents are shown as Maurice Costello and Jane Day.  Bride's parents recorded as Daniel Carroll and Mary Fenaughty, presumeably of Fortwilliam, O'Dorney, Kerry.
Of the children of William Costello and Bridget Glinn/Flynn (married 1 November 1877), the last three born were Michael (1896), Elizabeth May (1897), William Joseph (1898), and I assume from the dates that all three were born in Cheviot.
Although the Kerry Catholic Parish Records are now available online, it would seem from the Abbeydorney compilation that they are incomplete and fragmented.
There are a total of 20 baptisms and one marriage recorded with Knocknamalough as an address, fortunate that the marriage was that of Denis and Catherine Carroll.
I think that I may have gone about as far as the available records will allow, with my Costello and Nolan connections, still Hanlon from Cork and O'Halloran from Clare to be sorted out.  I would like to have a discussion with Frank Nolan about searching for our Cork and Clare records.  Happy hunting!
Hanlon, O'Hanlon (Cork), O'Halloran (Clare), Nolan (Kerry), Costello (Kerry), McKenzie (Perth), Thin (Melrose), Crankshaw (Lancashire), Forbes (Berwickshire), South (Hampshire), and more.