Author Topic: William Costello  (Read 53020 times)

Offline jack Irish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Costello
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 February 12 16:03 GMT (UK) »
  Hello again

My great grandfather Cornelius Carmody was i  the 2nd New York Cavalry Volunteers. He served from 1861 to 1864 before taking a minee ball to the knee and ending his service. In post war life he was a laborer in the Watevliet New York Arsenal, mostly working with munitions. He was killed in an explosion in 1877. As far as i know he never lived in Massachusetts.
       Ther may be more coisins out there, but unfortunatley I  cannot ties us together.

Jack

Offline John-NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scots Irish English Cornish Welsh to New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 February 12 21:47 GMT (UK) »
 ??? Hello, Jack.
Looks as though only the first posting that I quoted to you, from J Burns, refers to your family.  Regarding the aunt, Margaret Costello (born 1841) of Troy NY, that cared for the Carmody girls after their mother's death, would Costello have been her married name? I have only found 3 Abbeydorney baptisms for sisters of Honora Costello, no sign of any Costello brothers. Possibly Margaret's death certificate or Troy newspaper funeral notices might give a clue as to her family name and parents or relatives?
Have you seen Cornelius Carmody's civil war diaries and personal papers held in the New York State Library?
No luck so far tracking Cornelius Carmody's parents and family in the Kerry records (again the death certificate and Watervliet/Troy newspaper funeral notices might have clues).  You may find out more information from census and other local Troy NY records.  I don't know enough about searching for free USA records, you probably know more about that.  Good luck, John.
Hanlon, O'Hanlon (Cork), O'Halloran (Clare), Nolan (Kerry), Costello (Kerry), McKenzie (Perth), Thin (Melrose), Crankshaw (Lancashire), Forbes (Berwickshire), South (Hampshire), and more.

Offline jack Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 February 12 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom

Her married name was Carmody. she was born Honora Costello. She lived in Watervliet New York in a home that Cornelius Built. By the way, where are you located?

Offline jack Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 February 12 21:59 GMT (UK) »

I forgot to mention that I have a copy of his personal Diary that he wrote during the Civil War. Some of it is an interesting read.

Offline jack Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 February 12 23:11 GMT (UK) »
   Sorry about the Tom Thing. I was e-mailing a cousin in Norway that happens to be a Tom and forgot where I was for a second.

Offline John-NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scots Irish English Cornish Welsh to New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 February 12 03:09 GMT (UK) »
 ???Hello, Jack.
Your Carmody Irish connections are a puzzle. The Irish government has placed all the County Kerry parish records online, and almost all our Costello and Nolan relatives are in the Abbeydorney parish.  Nora/Honora Costello's family is there, but no sign of Cornelius Costello's baptism or marriage, or the baptism of James Francis Carmody.
Again I can find no trace of Margaret Costello in Kerry or Troy records, to prove that she is related directly or by marriage.  I found the record of James Frances Carmody's marriage to Maria Victoria Evans at Troy on 24 May 1892, and the birth and baptism of Frances Evans Carmody at Troy on 12 July 1894, and later census records for James' family at Oak Park in Cook, Illinois from 1910.  Nothing else to add, as I have tried whatever I can access online from New Zealand.  Good luck, John.
Hanlon, O'Hanlon (Cork), O'Halloran (Clare), Nolan (Kerry), Costello (Kerry), McKenzie (Perth), Thin (Melrose), Crankshaw (Lancashire), Forbes (Berwickshire), South (Hampshire), and more.

Offline jack Irish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 February 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
  If you look at the 1900 Federal Census for the city of Troy, you will find Margaret Costello and living with her you will find several nieces who are Carmody and Costello family members. You will also find in that household a Margaret C. Hartney at the age of 13. The middle intitial is for Costello, her mothers maiden name.( She was Johanna Costello.) Margaret was a distant cousin of my father and his mother was Margaret Carmody Burns, daughter of Honora Costello and  Cornelius Carmody. 

The only other thing I can add about Cornelius is that on his Naturalization papers he lists his place of birth as being Kerry. He emigrated from Limerick.

Offline wwolst12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 March 12 17:43 BST (UK) »
TO ANYONE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ABOUT WILLIAM COSTELLO FROM NEW ZEALAND.

WE ARE A FAMILY BUSINESS WHO SELLS ANTIQUES ON EBAY AND HAVE COME ACROSS WILLIAM COSTELLO'S ORIGINAL SKETCH BOOK. THERE ARE TONS OF AMAZING DRAWINGS AND EVEN HIS ORIGINAL CERTIFICATE OF NATURALIZATION FROM 1884 FROM WHEN HE IMMIGRATED TO AMERICA! WHAT AN AMAZING FIND!

THIS SKETCHBOOK WILL BE LISTED TONIGHT ON EBAY. OUR USERNAME IS WWOLST12. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE FINDING THE AUCTION.

LISA WOLSTENHOLME

Offline tgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa
I'm looking for a William Costello born in 1842 in Sydney (son of bounty immigrants from Cork, Ireland), who may have gone to New Zealand from Melbourne Australia. His brother Patrick (alias Matthew) went there in 1872 from Melbourne and died in 1885. I often wondered whether William went there too. The Costello family went to the California goldfields from Australia in 1850 when the brothers were children, but returned to Australia in 1855. Their father died in 1860. William is the only family member I can't locate in death records in Australia and New Zealand, so wondered if he went back to the USA. How amazing to find such a sketchbook, did it sell at auction?