Author Topic: William Costello  (Read 52814 times)

Offline John-NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Scots Irish English Cornish Welsh to New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: William Costello
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 March 10 03:51 GMT (UK) »
 :'(  If anybody is having trouble posting personal messages, it appears that you need to have contributed to discussions at least three times, might explain why Frank and Pete were having trouble making contact!
Hanlon, O'Hanlon (Cork), O'Halloran (Clare), Nolan (Kerry), Costello (Kerry), McKenzie (Perth), Thin (Melrose), Crankshaw (Lancashire), Forbes (Berwickshire), South (Hampshire), and more.

Offline John-NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 April 10 03:20 BST (UK) »
 :-* My cousins have provided the clues to verify that my Great-great-grandfather John Nolan came from Knocknamalough, near Abbeydorney, O'Dorney, County Kerry, Ireland.
John was born about 11 May 1839, and his parents were Edward Nolan and Elizabeth McMahon (apparently conversion of names into English from Abbeydorney Latin parish records introduces variations, so Edward is also shown as Edmond, and McMahon as Mahony).
Name searches should test all possible variations and mis-spellings.

John's wife was Catherine Costello, also from Knocknamalough, O'Dorney, County Kerry, Ireland.
Catherine was born about 26 March 1842, and her parents were Maurice Costello from Knocknamalough, County Kerry, and Jane Day from Ballygarrett in County Kerry, and Maurice and Jane were married on 15 February 1825 in the Kilgobbin Church of Ireland church, near Camp, County Kerry.

There was considerable intermarriage between the various families living around Knocknamalough, and this practice continued when several family members of two generations all ended up living in New Zealand, so that many are related through several family members.
No doubt there will be more to be discovered.
Hanlon, O'Hanlon (Cork), O'Halloran (Clare), Nolan (Kerry), Costello (Kerry), McKenzie (Perth), Thin (Melrose), Crankshaw (Lancashire), Forbes (Berwickshire), South (Hampshire), and more.

Offline TessaR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 May 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
hi pete, i think we might be cousins of sorts. :D . i also have a Costello in my family line. his name was Charles Costello Ferguson. Son of Jane costello. Janes parents were called Maurice Costello and Jane Day. Charles is my great great grandfather.i have a few photos and some more info on family members if you would be keen.
tess

Offline FMN17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
Tess

Yes you are correct that Charles Costello Ferguson is the son of Jane Costello and Hubert Ferguson, and Jane Costello is the sister of my great grand mother Catherine Nolan (nee Costello) and also of William Costello (and Edmond Costello of Gore). When John Nolan married Catherine Costello in Dunedin February 1865, one of the witnesses was Jane Costello of Dunstan.

Jane Costello married Hubert Ferguson in August 1865. Hubert was a goaler in Dunedin, starting in September 1862, later moving to Lyttelton and Wellington. He then became one of the first Factory Inspectors, first in Canterbury, then moving to Auckland in 1892. There are a lot of reports of him in Auckland papers, and he certainly seems to be something of a character.  He has an entry in the Cyclopaedia of Auckland, noting he arrived in New Zealand in 1862 on the Black Swan.
Hubert and Jane had a family of eight, two of whom died young - Matilda Jane born 1866 died 1870, Elizabeth Mabel born 1868 died 1935 married Ernest Alfred Le Cren lived in Auckland and Wellington - two sons, Kate Ferguson born 1862 died 1926 married Louis Sanderson lived in Wellington - one son, Ellen Leslie born 1871 died 1943 married John Galbraith lived in Christchurch and Dunedin - two sons and a daughter, Jane born 1872 died 1894, Charles Costello born 1874 died 1960 married Mary Sinclair - 3 daughters and a son? - lived in Auckland, Hubert born 1875 died at sea 1892, Maurice William born 1877 died 1953 married Christina Paton - lived in Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargil.
Jane's parents were Maurice Costello and Jane Day and she was born about 1845 - there are no records of baptisms from 1844 - 1852. There is no record of her moving to New Zealand that I can find. And I have been having trouble finding when she died.

I would be interested if this fits with anything that you have, and am especially interested in any photographs. I am not aware of any contacts between the Ferguson family and the Nolan's from the second generation, although with Jane and Hubert in Dunedin and the John Nolan's in Central Otago, I might have thought that they may have met. And perhaps with John's  brother and 2 sisters also in Dunedin, perhaps they met up with Jane - after all they lived close together in Ireland?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Frank Nolan

Offline TessaR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
 ;D wow thats even more info than what i had pete.haha. what i can tell you is about charles costello ferguson.
Charles married mary sinclaire in 1897.
mary Sinclaire B1874 auckland. D24 jan 1956.
cremated at Waikumete Cemetery Auckland.Charles also buried there.
They had kids
Kathleen Nora Ferguson B1900
Mona Sinclaire Ferguson B1902 D18 Jul 1938 Purewa Cemetery Auckland
Roy Ferguson                  B1904
Ellen Ferguson                B1907
Mona died early. my nana has always called it Grites or Gripes disease. A type of cancer i think. She died on her daughters 12th birthday(patricia)
Mona married Adam Russell Walters in 1926 They had kids
Ellen ferguson married Foster Jobling Clark in 1929 and they had (*)
i do have a few photos that you might be interested in of charles and mary and of mona and ellen and foster but not sure how to get around not being able to put your email on here? i will try adding one to this post n see if it comes out. if it works the picture is of charles and mary.

(*) Moderator's Comment: RootsChat policy prohibits publishing details of living people. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, email addresses, etc.

Offline Jo-AnneP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 June 10 02:22 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,  My mother was a Costello.  My family originated in Tipperary and ended up in Canada.  Reading your posts and very interesting.  I know of a Costello family in Canada (think they would be nephews of my g g grandfather.

A John Costello married a Catherine Nolan here in Canada.  They of course had a son named William.  All of their kids have the middle name Nolan (William Nolan Costello etc). 

I would really be interested in EARLY generations if anyone has them from back in Ireland.

My g g grandfather was John Costello born 1811 he married Catherine Gleeson in Ireland but do not have much info. for this generation.  Heard it was in Puckane Tipperary at St. Patrick's church but have not been able to verify.  Would really be interested in anything.  His son William Costello is my great grandfather but ended up in Canada as well.  I have next generations or at least some of the info. and these are in Canada.

I think the Costellos and Nolans in Canada are related to my family but distantly again, think the g g grandfathers may have been brothers.

However wondering if your Costellos and Nolans are related to the Canada Costellos and Nolans.  I bet they are.  Which would mean we could be distantly related as well.

Offline idyia14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 05:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching my partner's family tree and came across your previous comments. He is also a descendant of William Joseph Costello so would be related to Peter. I'm interested in any photographs people might be willing to share and also in finding out if anyone knows anything more of Bridget Glynn, Joseph's wife - I can find nothing except the date of the marriage in NZ.

Offline Dermot Nolan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My name is Dermot Nolan. I live in Canada. I am not very good at navigating this kind of thing. I stumbled upon this dialogue while researching "Kilgulbin" on Google. My father was Edward Nolan of Kilgulbin. I well remember Eugene Costello. I met him several times and was enchanted by his stories. i also remember his wife and his many children, many of whom i also met. i have seen the wonderful research by Frank Nolan who revealled to my family the existence of our many New Zealand relatives. We were in the dark about the New Zealand branch of the two families and are fascinated to find you all. If I can figure out how to engage in the conversation on a regular basis, I will be glad to join you. If I have any information that will be of interest, I will be pleased to share it.
Some years ago (before the advent of the internet), I tried to find out more of the history of the Nolans on the present farm. Family lore was that it had been in the family for 300 years. The question I have is, if that's true, were we tenants at one time and how did we first become owners - and is it true at all that we have been on the land that long? I came up dry because I was going about it the wrong way - i even retained a lawyer in Dublin to "search the title" as we would do in Canada but that went nowhere. Do any of you have any idea about that or where I could get those questions answered or researched further. i am sure the Costellos would be just as interested in the land ownership (occupation) history because it appears that the Costello- Nolan history is intertwined from way back - and they remain good neighbors to this day!. My dear Aunt Nora still lives in the county schoolhouse she bought years ago (where they all went to school) - and my cousin John still owns the farm. It appears that I just missed Frank when he visited in 2008.
Nice to meet you all!

Offline John-NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Costello and Nolan family
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Greetings, Dermot. Good to hear from the Canadian Nolan family. I have wondered about tracing land ownership and tenant farming history, but it could be a tedious task. I am puzzled as to how some families remained on the same land for centuries, while others were evicted or died during the great famine years.
I have just purchased Ian Maxwell's book "How To Trace Your Irish Ancestors" (publisher www.howtobooks.co.uk), and he lists in great details the various archives and books and records that may be available for personal searching (not much help if you live in Canada or New Zealand). Seems that you need to work backwards to identify the landlord or land owners for Kilgulbin, then locate records for those landed estates, which may reveal the names of tenant farmers and long-term leases.  Records can be in a number of locations in Ireland or England, or in private hands.  It will be a log and frustrating search, unless you get lucky.
I hope that you can receive a personal message on this forum, though you will not be able to reply.  Regards, John McKenzie, Timaru, New Zealand.