Author Topic: Harkin/McCallion marriage please  (Read 62328 times)

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harkin/McCallion marriage please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 18:10 BST (UK) »
Me Again
             Here is the address

The Civil Registration Office
            Tirconaill  House
            Letterkenny
            County Donegal
            Ireland.

Phone Number 074 9124576.

You will need to check out the phone number as it will be slightly different from where you are.

I see Rosee has sent you some more info so that should be of further help.

All the best to everyone searching in this area.

Patrick  :)

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thank You Bald Eagle  & Rossee you are both Fantastic for going out your way to help.
  I am pretty sure they are the ones i am looking for yours gratefully
            Patrick O'Connor
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 September 08 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Agnes
             I may have sent you a similar message to your e.mail address ???. I made some kind of mistake so I will try and do what I intended.

Could you perhaps do me a favour. The next time you are in Carn Library could you have a look at the death records. When I was in I was in a bit of a rush and never got round to it. I am trying to find out what became of the Ruddy's (Reddy's, Roddy's) of Glentogher. I Know where most of the Ruddy's of Kellystown went but can find nothing about The Glentogher except for one.

I have copies of the marriage and birth info and as I will not be back in Ireland this year it would be great if you could find anything in those printouts  :)

Many Thanks
                                                        Patrick Ruddy

Offline rossee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Ruddys/Glentogher
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 September 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
 Hi Patrick

Found info on Ruddys of Glentogher on Ancestry for you. I don't know if they are your family but they may be of use to someone.

Sailing from Derry on 15 June 1909
MGT Ruddy age 19, Father Bernard  Glentogher, going to Boston cousin John Harold 22 Church ST Dorchester.

From Derry on 13 Oct 1929
Brigid Roddy, age 37 Ladys maid, Single, Father Bernard Glentogher, Returning to 86 Bumper Hill St,Charlestown.

June 1913,  Cassie Ruddy, 18 yrs Glentogher,Next of kin Wm Callaghan,Glentogher, going to her Aunt Mrs Kate Doherty 201 Benifit St ,Pendlaton,Oregon.

OCT 1906, Susan Ruddy ,17 yrs Glentogher, going to Mother Mrs Mary Hirl, Pendleton, Vernon,Oregon.

14 Oct 1914  Annie Ruddy 24 yrs, William 25 yrs Bro&Sis Next of Kin Uncle Bernard Ruddy, Glentogher, going to Mother Mary Hirl Heppner,Morrow Co,  Oregon.

20 Feb 1926  Brigid Roddy 34 yrs, Father B Roddy, Kellystown,Glentogher. Going to Cousin, Mrs M Harrad ,the Powley Mill Village N.H.

1920 Census for Heppner,Oregon.

Philip Hirl 51 Head  Farm Manager Born Ire
Mary A 51 Wife Born Ire
Charles Son 11 Born Ore
Edwin J Son 12 "     "
William Ruddy 31 Stepson Born Ire
Charles Hirl 52 Bro Born Ire.

I will look up the Death Records in a few days.

Agnes

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 September 08 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again Agnes

Thank you for the information you have posted. I have most of this except for the Oregon censes but I had not noticed something. As far as I know the Ruddy's who went to Oregon were the Ruddy's of Kellystown. They were the children of Mary Ann Doherty and William Ruddy who had 3 children, Cassie, William and Susan. William Ruddy sen died about 1893 and his wife went to America (Boston)c 1900 and left the children with their grandparent. She later met and married a Phil Hirl (also from Glentogher) in Oregon c1910 and brought the children after this but this leaves the question "Who is Ann?" but at this point it is not important.

There were 2 groups of Ruddy's in the same area. 1 in Kellystown and the other in Carrowmore which I believe both come under Glentogher and it is the group in Carrowmore I am interested in as I believe my ggrandmother was one of this group and I can find little of them so I am hoping that the death records may hold even a little.

Anyway Agnes many thanks again for your information and the effort you have put into it. :) :)
                                                                                                           Patrick

Offline rossee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 September 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
What was your G/mothers name in Carramore. Have you got the  1901 & 1911 Census for them.

Agnes

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 September 08 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello
       This is where life can get complex. My ggrandmothers name was Mary Ruddy who married a Denis McCallion Iskaheen parish. We were told she was from Glentogher and the fact that she married in Carn goes a way to prove that. I have other information that add to that but it is trying to find which group of Ruddy's she fits into.
 I believe I know now that she fits into the Carrowmore (Glentogher) group but they in turn are related in some way to the Kellystown group but how we will never know now but little proof I have for this is long and difficult to explain. I think I have the 1901 censes for 2 of what I believe to be Mary's brothers.

My surname is Ruddy because my mother married a Ruddy of Muff parish who are not related to the Ruddy's of Carndonagh parish so far as we can tell. these Ruddys are difficult to research also as there would seem to be no siblings for my grandfather or indead his father so very little information there either.
Anyway Agnes I will cut this short but if you want to know how I reached my conclusion I will send it ot your private contact address but it is rather long and will take some time to put together so I will say goodnight for now
                                                                                           Patrick ::) ::) ::)

Offline rossee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 September 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Patrick
7 Aug 1926,Sailing from Derry. Anne Roddy 30 yrs, next of kin Bro Wm Roddy,Tromaty,Quigleys Pt,going to cousin Ms Annie O'Donnell,5 Jackson St,Newton Centre,Boston.

Border Crossing from Canada, Sailing from Greenock Scotland 30 Oct 1926. Edward Roddy 30 yrs Single ,Last Address Kilmacola Scotland. Next of kin Bro Wm Roddy Tromaty Quigleys PT,going to cousin James Feeney 4743 Maxwell Ave,Detroit Michigan

1911 Census for Three trees
Denis McCallion 78  married 46 yrs 7 children
Mary Ruddy Wife  73 yrs
Mgt dau  40 Single
Sarah " 35   "
Annie "  33  "
Bridget  " 31  "

1901 Census Tromaty Muff

William Ruddy 60 yrs
Frances  30  Wife
Patrick son 6
Edward  " 4
Anne dau 4
Bernard son 2
Bridget Lafferty 50  Sister in law

I checked the Death Records in the Library. There are no Ruddy or Hirrell deaths listed.

Agnes

Offline Bald Eagle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 September 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Agnes
             Thank you so much for the superb information you have sent. I really can't thank you enough for this. Like all things in genealogy as soon as you find a piece anothe appears which is what I suppose makes it all the more interesting so with that in mind I will now try and find the connection  to James Feeney as this surname has not croped up before.
 I know how the O'Donnell's fit in so no concerns with that I just hope in some way I may be able to find another Ruddy/Roddy through this Feeney link.

The 1901 and 1911 censes I have for both these familys I have but well done for looking this up none the less you went an extra mile with that and once again thank you so much
                                                                                                      Patrick