Author Topic: Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown  (Read 28625 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown
« on: Sunday 09 March 08 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have the above on their Tree.  I have both families married to Peppard/Pepper ancestors.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline RufyGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi RoryT,

I'm descended from the Jones of Woodside, Hacketstown and being based in England, I'm struggling to get further back than Great-Grands, so your post is really intriguing and I hope you might be able to help me.  Here's what I know so far - does it link to any of your finds?

My great-grandfather was William Empson Jones of Woodside, Hacketstown who married Agnes Eva Allan in Greenock in 1883 (I've got much further back on her line.) 

William's father was Robert P Jones, farmer (deceased at the time of the wedding) - "P" possibly Patton or Patten, sadly doesn't look like Peppard on the marriage entry.  William's mother was an Empson. 

Robert P Jones is listed as the landowner of Woodside in 1876. 

Griffiths Valuations 1848-1864 lists a Sheppard Jones as the landowner of Woodside - Robert's father / uncle / older brother perhaps? 

IGI has a record of a Shepherd Jones born (abt. 1780) marrying a Dorothea Smith born (abt. 1784) in 1805, all in Kildare, but I can't corroborate this anywhere else.

Do you recognise any of these names?

Thanks

RufyGH
Kayes & Hopkins (Wicklow), Jones & Empson (Carlow & Kilkenny), Riddell, Turnbull (Scotland)

Offline cumminswr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hello RufyGH
I have been researching William Empson Jones and Agnes Eva Allan from whom my wife descends. I understand his (WEJ) parents were Robert Patton Jones and Eliza Empson. His (WEJ) daughter, Eva Janes Jones (6 Nov 1884-27 Mar 1923) married Richard Fitzgerald Jones (same surname but no other known relationship) of Dublin who was a son of Dublin City Councillor, Richard Jones, and Illinois-born Margaret Fitzgerald. Eva Jane Jones had 10 siblings and I have some information on each. At least 4 of her siblings had children but only 3 were survived by children.  I look forward to correspondence.  WEJ (Popop) and his wife (Grangran) were buried at the church cemetery at Clonmore. I would love to correspond. I live near Toronto Canada.

Offline RufyGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi cumminswr,

How interesting to hear from someone new after posting this message nearly 3 years ago! 
I have done quite a bit more research since then and if your wife is a grand-daughter of Eva Jane Jones, I have at least 5 candidates for whom she could be courtesy of a hand written family tree from the 1950's probably via my grandmother Dorothy Grant Jones, Eva's sister!   My Aunt Millicent is still alive and remembers so much - perhaps your wife knows her or met her?
Thank you for the information regarding the burial place of (the original) PopPop and GranGran, I did not know this.  Did your wife know that Agnes Eva Allen was Scottish?  I have traced her line back to the end of the 18th century in Scotland.  The Jones line in Ireland is proving much more difficult of course.  Do you know anything more about the Jones' of Woodside?  Did Robert Patton Jones have siblings and I wonder where his middle name comes from?  The Empsons were from Kilkenny.
Would love to correspond further, but unfortunately we cannot use the personal message facility yet (sorry RoryT!)
Kayes & Hopkins (Wicklow), Jones & Empson (Carlow & Kilkenny), Riddell, Turnbull (Scotland)

Offline cumminswr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
Dear RufyGH  I believe I have identified you on the family tree. I believe your father was known as Billy. I do not know the names of your siblings. I was told that your family holds the family bible of the Woodside Jones.   We have indeed visited your most hospitable aunt and uncle when they lived in Belfast.   

Yes the 1901 and 1911 census data for Agnes Eva Allan-Jones show that she had been born in Scotland.

I know little about Robert Patton Jones. I have a list of his 9 children: 1 William Empson Jones; 2 Richard Jones; 3 Henry Jones; 4 Frederick Jones; 5 Joseph Jones; 6 Thomas Jones; 7 John Jones; 8 Dorothy Jones; 9 Elizabeth Jones.  I have no data for any of these except WEJ.  I cannot send personal messages but I can receive them.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
The PM systems becomes fully available to you when you have three posts, which you have now. RufyGH needs one more...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline RufyGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
Ok - hopefully this counts as my 3rd post and I can now send messages!

Offline Gsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 December 12 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Rory,

A real shot in the dark here. I've recently been putting our family tree together of Joneses from Baltinglass and have become stuck in or about 1838. It appears that it is about this time that a John Jones shows up. While I have yet to find the evidence to support my contention, I believe that this John is a brother of your Shepherd from wood side. My John had a son born in 1814 and called him Shepherd. This Shepherd I believe also shows up on Griffith valuation of 1852 .

The reason I believe these Shepherds to be different is that your shepherd shows up in tithe record of 1823. Too young for my shepherd.

I have my shepherd married to a dorethea with a daughter and son.

Hope this raises your interest.

Glen

Offline RufyGH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glen,

As you can see from my earlier posts I am also interested in Sheppard Jones of Woodside, Co. Carlow and I've done a bit more research & would be interested to see this fits in with your research.

According to my ancestor Robert Patton Jones' 1852 wedding record his father was Sheppard Jones of Woodside.  Robert's death record in 1878 has him born about 1819 but I have not found a baptism yet.  Therefore I concluded that the Sheppard Jones listed in the 1823/26 tithe records for 3 Hacketstown townlands and the S. Jones, Esq. of Woodside listed in Samuel Lewis's 1837 Topographical Index was his father.  As stated in my earlier post there used to be an uncorroborated record on the old IGI for a Sheppard Jones marrying a Dorothea Smith in 1805 but this has since been removed in the new version of the site.

However, I did find a death announcement in the Freeman's Journal in 1873 for a Dora Jones, widow of a Sheppard Jones of Newtown-Saunders, Baltinglass aged 95 so ba1778?  This also suggests husband Sheppard died sometime before 1873.  I think he is still listed in Griffiths' Valuation for both Woodside and Newtown-Saunders townlands in 1852 and then his son Robert is listed as the principal farmer at Woodside in 1876 landowwners records, so I think this all fits but I would have to find a death record for Sheppard to be sure.  Who is the Sheppard Jones you find born to John in 1814 that you have as a candidate for the Griffiths records?

Mind you it's not as uncommon a name as you might have thought - I also found a Shephard Jones married to a Dorothea Anne whose daughter Mary Ellen birth is registered in Baltinglass in January 1865 and a Shepherd Jones, widower, marrying a Matilda Nicholson in Monkstown, Dublin in August 1865?  Same man?!  No death record for a Dorothea Jones but this is just at the start of civil registration so might not have been recorded?  These Sheppard Jones's would have to have been born sometime in the 1840's or before?

I too also found a record of a John Jones of Woodside for Hacketstown Graveyard that seemed to suggest he died in his 99th(!) year in 1830 making him born about 1731?  Sheppard's grandfather perhaps?

Can you tell me a bit more about your Sheppard Jones=Dorothea marriage and their children please to see if it fits with any of my research ideas?

Thanks