Author Topic: Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown  (Read 28626 times)

Offline MBarryB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones and Sharp of Baltinglass/Hackettstown
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 September 14 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello. I am ver new to this site but reading below there appears some links my side. John Jones is my 3 x grandfather. This is the Johns Jones that died in 1836 and married Mary. My 2 x grandfather was William son of John and Mary.  I have struggled beyond Thus John to find anything else. I have some detail on the land John owned as there was a dispute over a will of a subsequent ancestor of John which I am happy to provide but may be known. Does anyone have information easy to share on Mary and John please?
Thanks

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 September 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi MBarryB

Nice to hear from you. Do you mind me asking the address or even just the nearest town for your John & Mary as there were a number of John and Marys around that time. If memory serves me right they were in Rathvilly and Tullow among others and so far we don't have a link. We have a  John(1) who died in 1830 and his son John(2) who died in the late 1850s. Neither we are aware had a son William but of coarse that isn't conclusive. We do have a John(3) born about 1812 but we have no records beyond his inclusion in a deed for 1822 which mentions his age as 10. It would be very interesting if this John(3) is your 3Xgrandfather.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline MBarryB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 September 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Charlie J
OK, so looks like we may be different John and Mary Jones possibly? My information is more on death dates I am afraid but here goes. My John Jones would have lived in Holdenstown Upper / Lower. As well as having land here he had land in in Man O'War (I think near Dunlavin), Clough and Baltinglass East (I think in the town).  He had two sons John and William and two daughters Elizabeth and Mary.  John Senior died in 1836 and his wife Mary died in 1860.  Mary (daughter) appears to have died in 145 August 1837.  Does any of this make sense?
Thanks

Offline MBarryB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 September 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
I have also the date of death of John Jones (Junior) as 26th July 1837.
Thanks

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 September 14 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi MBarryB
I'm not sure if this helps but I viewed a Grave at Kiltegan cemetery which might be some use.
It says
"Of Holdenstown
Erected by Robert Jones in memory of his son (Esall?) Jones who departed this life 15/2/1839 aged 11 years. Also a child who died young and also his son William Jones who departed this life 4/9/1847 aged 23 years and to the memory of the said Robert Jones. He departed this life March 22 1849 and also of William Carpender of Holdenstown 14/8/1855."
There is another line on the headstone but is under the soil so I didn't disturb it.
They may not be in your direct line but they may be cousins. Interestingly there are still Carpenders in that townland.
I should have reference to this line of Jones though I'm not aware of a link at the moment.
There is another grave stone for an Edward Jones here too.
I know it's no help to your initial question, I will look through my notes to see if there is anything of use.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline MBarryB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 15 September 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Charlie J. Will do some separate digging. So I guess you and I have different John Jones and Mary jones by the look of it.  Hard to get to the next level from here.
Have often seen Shep Jones separately and wondered about a link but nothing there I can find.
Take care

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
You are probably looking at heading to the Registry of Deeds at Henrietta Street in Dublin for more information on your John and Mary.

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thought this may be of interest?

Boston Times 1845

OF ROBERT JONES, from Holinstown, Baltinglas, (County Wicklow).
Landed New York 6 years last February, he was at Oak Mill 4 years since.
Information will be thankfully received by Hannah Jones of Rockville, Ct.

Hope it may help someone. I came across it while looking for my Wicklow Hawkins families.
Jill

Offline carhoglucan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 March 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am starting to research the Jones side of my family tree from Baltinglass. I was provided with this information .. My great great great grandfather was John Jones who married Eliza Susan from Blessington.  They had four children:  John Jones born 1837, Harriet Sophia Jones 1843, Dorcas 1843, Edward 1844 all born in Holdenstown in Baltinglass.  Also, Johns father was James Jones and his mother Alice Smith.

Charlie you mentioned you were looking for a Dora Jones around 1842 and wondered if it could be the Dorcas above?

If anyone can throw some light on the above it would be strongly appreciated.