Author Topic: Illegible record help please  (Read 7410 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Illegible record help please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 June 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much TunjiLees.  No wonder there's so many Lawsons in the area!

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 June 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi TunjiLees  :)

That would be a perfect connection for these lines. So William, the tailor, was staying with cousin Robert, the farmer, in 1841?

Monica
Yes, except the cousin's name is David.

Seems like the families were living quite close. I just checked the 1841 census and the household of the above David Lawson (son of James Lawson) and his cousin William is two households before that of William's brother, also called David Lawson (son of Robert Lawson) and his family . This is the one who died 1878.
A further two households on there's a Margaret Lawson (Margaret Low, wife of John Lawson) as head of the household with her children. Husband is not there.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 June 16 17:53 BST (UK) »

Yes, except the cousin's name is David.

For sure....sorry  ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 May 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the parents of William Lawson and his sister Margaret Hay nee Lawson.  In the 1871 census they are living at Northmuir, Kirriemuir and both are annuitants.   William's birthplace is recorded as Linthrathen and Margaret's is recorded as Kirriemuir (she stated that fairly consisently from census to census).

Margaret and William both died at Northmuir in 1872, and his occupation is given as retired tailor.  Margaret's son-in-law, James Thornton, was the informant recorded for both of them and states that their father was John Lawson, a crofter, but their mother's name is unknown. Margaret was born in approx 1796 and William in approx 1801.

I think the William who died in 1872 is likely to be the same William Lawson in this 1841 census, as his occupation is a tailor.

Edit to add as I think out loud - I see on FamilySearch there are several children baptised in Kirriemuir and Linthrathen whose parents are Robert Lawson and May Ogilvie.  They include a Margaret who was baptised in Kirriemuir on 28 Apr 1795 and a William in Linthrathen on 1 Mar 1800.  Also a David in Kirriemuir on 18 June 1793.

I'm thinking our Margaret's father wasn't John but was Robert.  One Margaret's daughters was named May/Marjory.

Good news.  The Alyth parish record of Margaret Lawson's marriage to John Hay in 1820 says she is the daughter of Robert Lawson in Stronreach, Parish of Lintrathen. 

Does any of Lintrathen still exist, or was it submerged when the dam was built to make the loch/reservoir?

I've also found the death of Margaret Lawson's sister Barbara Lawson who died in November 1867 in Forfar.  She was the widow of David Strachan, flesher.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 May 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
Does any of Lintrathen still exist, or was it submerged when the dam was built to make the loch/reservoir?
Go to http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=13&lat=56.7050&lon=-3.1716&layers=5&b=1 and you will see a map of the parish in the middle of the 19th century. In the menu box on the left there is a round blue button. Slide the button to the left and you will see the extent of the lochs - both the Loch of Lintrathen itself, and also Blackwater Reservoir, which is also in the parish of Lintrathen.

You can move the map around, and zoom in and out.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 12 May 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
I use NLS maps quite a bit, but was not familiar with the overlay transparency button. I'm sure that will come in very useful - thank you Forfarian.  :)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 May 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian - what an interesting site.  It looks like most of the village was on higher ground.  Perhaps the area that was flooded was marshy anyway.

Offline arleneo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 April 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
Dear TunjiLees, Regarding 11 June 2016 post,
Thank you for all your work on the Lawsons in this area in the 1700 & 1800s. Could you tell me what information & sources you have found for Alexander Lawson (1735-1831) & wife, father of John Lawson who married Isobel Grewar. Alexander is mentioned in his grandson Alexander Lawson's (1794-1868) will as being the original purchaser of some property in Kirriemuir still at that time in the family. I would be interested in any information on Alexander Lawson's (1735-1831) children. I have not found a birth or death for son John Lawson born ~ 1771, died >= 1839.

Regards from western Canada