Author Topic: Smith/Glendinning/Douglas  (Read 2612 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Smith/Glendinning/Douglas
« on: Monday 10 March 08 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
is anyone out there with a connection to this family from 1841 try as I might I can find no connection with the two Douglas sisters to the family they are living with

1841 census Roucan Village

James Smith age 69 farmer
Jean Glendinning age 66
Elizabeth Douglas age 13
Mary Douglas age 6 [is this my g grandmother?]

thanks

Audrey

Offline WilliamD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith/Glendinning/Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 09 22:58 BST (UK) »
Looks to me like a missing generation.

I guess a daughter married a Douglas.  They maybe died leaving two Douglas granchildren???

The  Glendinnings are a sept of the Douglases, so there are close ties.

See:  http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/Septs/septs.htm

Offline Pattersontribe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, my g.g grandmother was Elizabeth Douglas, daughter of Ann Smith and James Douglas who both died in 1848 from cholera. Elizabeth douglas married James Ker Paterson in 1854. I am researching the Smith family at the moment.James Smith married Jean Glendinning in 1797. James father was called James and his father was named Robert. Jeans father was called John Glendinning and thats as far as i have got. I haven't seen documentary evidence as to the parents of James Douglas. Some ancestry members put his parents as David Douglas and Jane Walker but I haven't seen a source. Its a family mystery I'm trying to solve. Cheers, Victoria

Offline Pattersontribe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 April 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, Forgot to mention the 1841 census. James was sent to Prison in 1840. The two girls were with the Smiths on census night while Ann Douglas and the rest of the children were in Lockerbie. (Another mystery is what happened to David Douglas, 5, listed on the 1841 census but not on the 1851 ) All the children, by now orphans are living with eldest brother John Douglas, a confectioner in Dumfries. There were a herd of Smith siblings and I'm still trying to track them all. John Smith was an auctioneer and Sheriff's Officer in Annan, James Douglas became Sheriff's Officer in Lockerbie. Hope this helps, Victoria