Author Topic: Nevill - Brider  (Read 1675 times)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nevill - Brider
« on: Tuesday 11 March 08 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I have a Christopher William Nevill born in Lambeth in 1850 son of John Nevill and Mary Brider. John was born in Abberton in Essex. Mary was born in Portsmouth in about 1819. I can find them on the census records but I can't find their marriage. The eldest child was born in abt 1838.

I have been going aound the houses with this but can't find the wedding. Can anybody see something I can't see?

Best wishes

Brigitte

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nevill - Brider
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 16:09 GMT (UK) »
the only one i can see is in 1837
mary brider/1837/oct qtr/lambeth/vol 4/page 250.
there are 4 females on the page but only three males
so your john could be the missing male.
will have a quick look for him but have to pack up very shortly
so could SKShave a look.
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
sorry its john nevill not christopher will have another look
will modify.
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks wozzle, it is John I'm looking for. Bet he just got missed off the page.

I am looking for Christopher's marriage to a Martha in about 1880. I've found a William on the same page as a Martha so I'm wondering if he was put down with his middle name by mistake.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Brig

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
I think the marriage you're looking for is the one between John Nevill and Mary Brider Kennington St. Mark in 1837.  She was the daughter, bapt. 12.7.1818 Portsea St. Mary, of Joseph Brider/Brida and Fortune Cooper nee Wyatt.
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 February 18 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tabbicat.

On this wet Sat. I am sat playing with family history. I have just noticed that I didn’t see the info that you sent me on my Neville family back last summer. Thank you for your reply. I am pretty sure that’s the marriage I want.

Best wishes Brigitte

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 February 18 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brigitte, Glad to have been of help!
Joseph and Fortune were my greatx3 grandparents.  I've only followed the Brida/Brider/Bryder line so I can't offer any further information about John and Mary or their descendants
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 February 18 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Fortune is a very unusual name. Had she been married before? Do you have the Brider line further back than them? Strangely enough I studied in Portsmouth and passed St. Mary’s regularly.

Best wishes

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 February 18 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I, too, thought Fortune was an unusual name but when I dug around a bit I found quite a few of them being born at much the same time.  Had I known in 1962 what I know now my daughter would have had Fortune as one of her names! The details of Fortune's baptism in Exton parish church are:

May 2nd 1784 Fortune Cooper daughter of Thomas and Mary Wyatt baptised.  The priest used the baptim register to keep track of his flock and has made a note "Fortune Cooper Wyatt m. Joseph Brida  13 May 1803 Meonstoke  5 children".  He lost track of them when they moved to Portsea St. Mary sometime  before the baptism of their 6th child, Thomas, in 1815.  I haven't researched the Wyatt family but have some Exton register transcrpitions concerning them.  Fortune had a brother William Cooper baptised July 1788 and buried in November of the same year and a sister Mary Cooper baptised September 1788 and buried October 1790.  I haven't found the marriage of Thomas Wyatt and Mary (presumably Cooper) but a Mary Wyatt died February 1795 and a Thomas Wyatt married Sarah Warner May 1795.  The Wyatt name appears frequently in the Exton registers, as early as 1584.  I can tell you plenty about the Brider familybutit easier to do it if you send me your e/mail address and I've got a picture (names not legible) of a row of Wyatt tombstones in the churchyard.
Goodnight!