Author Topic: Seeking the Scally's Kilbeggan  (Read 31924 times)

Offline rhio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking the Scally's Kilbeggan
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 November 08 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kate,
 I was amazed to see my mums name,Jo Holmes on this site.and other familiar names Ruby and Winnie.

My grandmother was Ethel Lucas,sister to Ruby and Winnie.Ethel married Joseph Scally but he was killed at Paschendale in OCTOBER 1917 and my mother Josephine Francis Scally was born 4/1/1918. Winnie lived at Golden Island house in Athlone and I remeber auntie Ruby was a nanny to many wealthy families.Ethel Lucas remarried and had 3 further children John, Mary and Margaret.I have some photos I think of the two Scally brothers Joseph and George? but will have to scan them

Offline Frank H

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 December 08 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Anthony.  A Mary Scally was married to an ancestor of mine named James Handibode about 1833.  Both were from Westmeath in Kilbeggan area. Mary died in New York city in 1866. Can't find her husband James in the States but their children were there and I have info on them. Catherine Handibode, Mary's daughter died 9 days after her and is interred in same cemetery. Contact me for more info.

Offline cscal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 June 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Anthony,
I am the grand daughter of Patrick Scally, Georges older brother, so I guess my grand father was your grand mothers older brother.  I know my grand dads 2 brothers, Joseph and George married the 2 Lucas sisters and that Joseph died in Belgium in WW1.  I do remember that my father had Daly cousins, (Winnie??).  Dads name was Joseph too, he passed away in 1979, he was son of Patrick, son of Joseph.... son of Patrick .... Please PM me if you want more info about my branch.

Regards,
Clare

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Clare. New members usually need to make 3 posts to use PM system.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cscal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 June 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
After finding this, I went threw some old boxes of stuff that were hoarded over the years....
Anthony, I found the death notice of your grandad (I think) in the early 1930s, when he was in his 50s, when he got pneumonia. The notice mentions his wife Kate and that he worked for many years for the Dublin Tram Company.
Georges death notice is also there, he died in Golden Island in the care of his sister in law Winnie, in 1966.  My older brother and sister vaguely remember being at his funeral.
I have a birth cert for a Margaret, who must have been another Scally sister, she was born in 17 Meath St, Dublin in 1893 to Joseph  and Magaret (nee Mohan) (Georges, Kates etc parents).  Margaret Mohan was also from the Kilbeggan area (she had a maternal ancestor from Hamburg), and she ran a drapery shop at that address in Meath St.  Looking at the 1901 and 1911 census, some of the kids (George in particular)  seems to be always with Grandad Patrick in Cornagher (the homestead near Kilbeggan), and the younger girls with their parents in Dublin.  You'll find Joseph and Margaret with the youngest girls (Elizabeth  & Mary (b.1899, d.1980) the formidable Aunt May)) in Usher key in 1911 census.
In the boxes I found letters and wedding invites to Aunt May from Georges children in London area, South end on Sea.
I know that ultimately the family is descended from Peter Scalley (yes with an e) who was a hedge school teacher and I get the impression very well educated for a man of his time.  I've seen his signature on a book - with the e spelling and dated 1838.
Thats all folks... I do have a more info, but this is turning into an epic... so unless requested here, I'll bow out...

C

Offline rhio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Clare,
I am the grandaughter of Joseph and Ethel Scally.Joseph was killed on 9/10/1917 at Paschendale and my Mum Josephine was born in January 1918.We too lived in Southend on sea until 1979.
I remember as a child Winnie and also Ruby who often came to visit. I also have pictures of Golden Island House in Athlone with my mum,dad and elder brother  and other members of the lucas family.

In 2008 my younger brother David went to Belgium and found the memorial to Joseph Scally- something my mother always wanted to do

Judy Byrne ( nee Holmes)

Offline cscal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 May 11 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Sorry I've been slow to come back to you, I've just felt sad that we dont actually know each other or of each other  ::)
PM me if you want to exchange emails.

Clare

Offline rhio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Ethel and Joseph Scally 1917

Offline Jim256

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 09 March 12 09:54 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother, Annie White, married John Francis Scally from Kilbeggan in 1906.  They married in Dublin.  She was widowed very shortly afterwards.  She subsequently married my grandfather. 

There is death of a John F. Scally in Tullamore in Jul-Sept 1907. aged 29.  He is reported to have dies in an accident.  I also have details of a birth of a John Scally in Kilbeggan 1877 son of James.

According to the 1901 Census, a James Scally had a shop in Main street Kilbeggan.  His wife's name is recorded as Clara. 

Is this the same family, and does anybody have any details of John and Annie?