Author Topic: Trying to trace my g-g-grandfather (I think!)  (Read 9087 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace my g-g-grandfather (I think!)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 August 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Mains of Pilgweny? St Andrews, Lhanbryd, Moray.

Probably Mains of Pitgaveny.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ2465
You can check this by looking at the original census at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Inchbroom is about a mile away as the crow files, but maybe a little further on foot
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ2566
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 29 August 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Yes, agree with Mains of Pitgaveny. (Pilgweny is an Ancestry transcription)
     Wester Calcots, Donald Finlayson's address on DCB Snr's Birth Certificate, is about the same distance to the South of Pitgaveny House.

Could this be DCB Snr. in 1891? (Ancestry)
          Donald Finlayson 20 Footman born Elgin, Morayshire.
          One of several Servants to McGillvray Family, Kailzie House, Traquair, Peebleshire.
     If it is Donald, wonder why and when he changed his name to Balfour. Hope we are not chasing the wrong Donald.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 August 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, agree with Mains of Pitgaveny. (Pilgweny is an Ancestry transcription)

Excellent example of why one should never trust an Ancestry transcription  ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 August 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Angua,
     1901 Scotland Census. Dennistoun, Glasgow.
          Donald Finlayson 28 Commercial Traveller born Elgin, Morayshire.
          Jessie H     "         29 Wife                           born Dallas,       "
          Francis D    "          4 Son                            born Glasgow, Lanarkshire.
          Leslie G      "          5 mons. Son                 born       "                "
     (There is a marriage of a Donald Findlayson & Jessie Hepburn at Forres, Morayshire in 1893. No proof it's the above couple but it's the only marriage for a Donald Findlayson & Janet/Jessie between 1891 & 1901 on SP)

I have no doubt that the Donald Findlayson found at Rafford in 1881, Peebleshire in 1891 & Glasgow in 1901 is the Donald Findlayson born 1872 in Elgin. (The BC you found & the only Donald Findlayson [or Balfour] born at Elgin 1865-1880) I also think his parents are the William Findlayson & Jane Balfour found in different places in the Lhanbryd area on the 1871 Census.
     If the 1893 Forres marriage to Jessie Hepburn is the right Donald Findlayson, then he was certainly in the Elgin/Morayshire area aout the time DCB Jr. was born.
     However, I can't find any link to your DCB Jr. Can't find a birth for him at Elgin in 1894 under Balfour, Creighton/Crichton or Fin[d]layson. If he too is illegitimate he might be registered under his mother's maiden name and there are 9 Donalds born in Elgin in 1894. 13 in 1893-1895.
     No further forward because no proof that the Donald we've tracked is 'DCB Snr.' from 'Jnr's' Marriage in Canada.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 September 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
I happened to be in Elgin yesterday, and as it was raining I betook myself to the heritage centre.

I looked at one of the references in the Poor Law records - the applications to Elgin Parochial Board.

1874, 3d February. Jane Balfour, presently at Main, born Forres, protestant, single, 29, dairy maid, partially disabled (i.e unable to earn a living); pregnant and has a child to support. Dependants Donald Finlayson, 1year 4 months. Dismissed from her situation for being a second time with child. Father of the child already born as also of that wh is to be born thereafter Donald Finlayson farm servant who has deliberately left this part of the country. Settlement Forres, having gained no other settlement. Has £4 of wages she says still to get. February 2: refused being certified able bodied and acknowledged to be possessed of means. [Grampian Archives, ZPEl A5/6 No 155/74]

The other references in LIBINDX refer to a book that is currently away being digitised so I was unable to look at them.

I note that Angua, the person who posted the original query, has not responded to any of the numerous replies in this thread.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 September 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Perhaps, a better approach might be to find the birth of your great grandfather before seeking further information.  There would appear to be only one Donald Balfour born between 1890 and 1900 in Scotland and that's a James Donald Balfour born (or at least registered) in Fife in 1895. That wee boy can be seen with his parents on the 1901 census living Dunfermline. What I can't figure out is who is the six year old Donald Balfour age 6 living in Tottenham on the 1901 census - birth place listed as Scotland.

In 1910 a Donald Balfour leaves Liverpool for British Columbia age 16 - on the Canadian census of 1911 his birth is given as November 1894 the same month and year as given on your great grandfather's attestation papers. I take it that they are one in the same person.

You mention your great grandfather had a brother John - do you know where and when he was born?
Jen

EDIT:The Donald Balfour in Canada is with Margaret George (same Tottenham family of 1901) along with her daughter Marion now married to a Mr Sparks (might be Reginald?).
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir