Author Topic: Boswell Help Please!!  (Read 42641 times)

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
Boswell Help Please!!
« on: Wednesday 12 March 08 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

I am looking into the family of a friend of my mother's who lives in France and is not very computer literate!

Her family name is Boswell, of the Gypsy/Romany Boswells. Her father was Algar Boswell, born 1915 in Ilkeston. She had always assumed a link back to Trafalgar Boswell, son of Sylvester Boswell. I did a bit of research on the Boswells and have sketched out a tree of the descendants of Shadrach Boswell.

This morning Algar's birth certificate arrived showing his parents were Edward MacKenzie Boswell and Emily Edith Moore formerly Yeomans, which is great. However, I can't seem to find much more on Edward MacKenzie!

I found a marriage for him in 1906 in the Basford District, but neither of the women on the page listed are Emily Edith!

Can anybody help with placing Edward MacKenzie Boswell into the grand scheme of the many branches of the Boswell family, please???

Many thanks!!

Dominic
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Help Please!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 13:56 GMT (UK) »
There are the following birth reg's
Edward MacKenzie Boswell
Jun qtr 1873
Derby
7b 472

and

Emily Edith yeomans
Mar qtr 1885
Derby
7b 620

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,

I am such an idiot. Thanks for those!! I'll have a look to see if they appear in any of the census returns!

I think I may have them in 1881 at 77 Napier St, Burton Upon Trent, Stafford, England 

Josaiah BOSWELL   Lodger (Head)   M   M  35   Derby, Derby, England   Cutler & Grinder     
Eldry BOSWELL          Wife                M   F   30   Longton, Stafford, England   Dressmaker     
Edward BOSWELL      Son                      M   8    Derby, Derby, England   Scholar     
Deonah BOSWELL     Daur                      F   3    Derby, Derby, England   Scholar 

I think that it might be the correct family as Algar had a sister called Diona and a brother called Isaiah.

Can't seem to find anything else on the family though, although I do have a birth reg entry in the March Qtr of 1846 in the Chesterfield District in Derbyshire for Josiah Boswell.

Dominic

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I thought that may be the family (lodging with the Sheriff family)-especially with the Dionah as

There are these birth reg's
all mother's maiden name Yeomans
Mar qtr 1921
Derby
Isiah Boswell
7b 1175

Diona Boswell
Jun qtr 1924
Derby
7b 1037

William M Boswell
Mar qtr 1926
Derby
7b 954

maybe Edward and Edith Emily didn't marry until later - if Edward attended the reg he could have his name on birth certs

I have found 2 more Alga Boswells-one died age 1 yr -will give details in a mo - there may be some kind of connection -maye a family name?

Did a little digging on Emily Edith
she and another sibling were b Derby and then they moved to Sheffield with family
There is a marriage FreeBMD
Emily Edith yeomans
Jun qtr 1907 Sheffield
9c 868
there are 3 females and 2 males on page-neither of the males are Moores
but
Marriage
Jun qtr 1907
Sheffield Arthur Moore
9c 858

then there is a death
Arthur moore
age 20
Dec qr 1908
Sheffield
9c 630

of course this is all speculation -but could it be that Emily married and was widowed in a very short time -came back to Derby and that's how Algar came to be??

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dominic

It looks like your friend's "Algar Boswell" belongs to a different branch of the Boswell tree than the one you thought (Shadrack Line) – ie, he isn't the Trafalgar Boswell of Essex and Blackpool who was the ancestor of Gordon Boswell of the museum at Spalding.

According to a reference in Bob Dawson's "The Genealogy of the Romany Boswells" (published by the RTFHS but now out of print), Edward Mackenzie is the son of Isaiah Boswell and Eldorai Sheriff - which seems to tally with your census find, if you accept Isaiah as a close match with Josaiah. This Boswell line was associated mainly with Derbyshire, Staffs, Warwickshire, Cheshire, Lancs etc.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
On the 1881 image (very difficult t read) I read (what is transcribed as Josaiah as "Asuiah" and what is transcribed as Eldry as "Elsin" or "Eldin"

So with Sharon's information it looks like the 1881 family is the correct one

Suz

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »
 :D Well you know what they say about assume ........

Thank you both very much, Suz and Sharon! It is nice to actually get things right, isn't it?

Sharon, would you know how far back the Trafalgar line and the Isaiah line bifurcates? And is there any further information on the Isaiah line?

Many thanks once again!

Dominic

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:25 GMT (UK) »
9 Bleach yard
Derby
Isiah boswell Head m 63 Gen lab mickleover Derbys
Elderi wife 50 Hobbis? Staffs
Phoebe Debwell?(Deverwell?) no relationshi given 5 Chilwell Notts
RG13 322 135 22

Suz

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
maybe Edward and Edith Emily didn't marry until later - if Edward attended the reg he could have his name on birth certs

Actually, on Algar's birth certificate under Description of Informant it does give Edward M Boswell Father and E E Moore Mother. So, no, they weren't married at that point, and they obviously did go both together to register the birth.

Didn't twig on to that until just a moment ago!  ::)