Author Topic: Boswell Help Please!!  (Read 42499 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Help Please!!
« Reply #72 on: Friday 03 June 16 19:35 BST (UK) »
i remember someone mentioning snowdrop smith born 1908 who is related to lucutia born 1776.snowdrops mother was alma smith and alma smiths dad was william smith born about 1861.i am having trouble finding william smith??he was married to a sophia smith born about 1863.william in bradford sophia in leicestshire.any help please??
trying to join the tree from snowdrop to Lucrutia and matilda.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline leslieannsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell Help Please!! Richarde1979
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 21 January 18 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Richarde1979 and cathyb,  this last year I finally put two and two together of who my Caroline Smith nee Boswell was, was a big disconnect. knew her father was Edward and mother Phylis, but now know they were Gypsies, which made soo much sense, was delightful finding this. Was wondering if you have any info on Edward Boswell and Phylis Lee , my Carolines grandparents. And I cannot find where her mother and father Edward and Phylis died in USA. And was Josiah Boswell in census in Almedia CA Edward #1s son or brother. From what I've gleamed,  he was the son of Edward the "King of the Gypsies".  My 4th great grandfather Edward #2 came with his family to USA in the 1850s a few years after his father died. Any info on my two Edwards and my two Phylis's would be great, confusing having two sets of 4-5 g grandparents with same names. I do know from reading, sounded like Edward#1 his father was Robert his mother Mary, and Robert had several wives, and that Henry Boswell may have been Roberts father. exciting as this would take me back to 6th and 7th generation Boswell grandfathers of Romanichal heritage. Am I on right track here. Thanks

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 25 January 18 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Leslie

Congratulations on the progress you are making with your tree. I have recently published all the research I have undertaken on the Boswell family over the past few years:

The Early Romany Boswells: A Family History 1650-1810 Part 1:The Early Boswells and Famous Boswells.

That is available from the Romany and Traveller Family History Society on their website or at Genfair. The second part should be published in the next few weeks. Both contain info on Edward Boswell and Phylis Lee and their line.

The information you have seems right to me in regards Edward's father Robert and possible grandfather Henry.

Best Regards

Richard

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 23 February 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Leslie

Congratulations on the progress you are making with your tree. I have recently published all the research I have undertaken on the Boswell family over the past few years:

The Early Romany Boswells: A Family History 1650-1810 Part 1:The Early Boswells and Famous Boswells.

That is available from the Romany and Traveller Family History Society on their website or at Genfair. The second part should be published in the next few weeks. Both contain info on Edward Boswell and Phylis Lee and their line.

The information you have seems right to me in regards Edward's father Robert and possible grandfather Henry.

Best Regards

Richard

You might like to know that the second part that Richard mentions above is now available - see http://rtfhs.org.uk/publications/gypsy-families/

Surnames included in the book: Allen, Armstrong, Ayres/Eyres, Bannister, Barnes, Bailey, Bates, Beard, Beldham/Beldom, Berry, Blewitt/Blewett/Bluitt/Bluett, Bocking, Boiling/Boyling, Cooper, Costello, Curtis, Davis/Davies, Deago, Dicks/Dix, Dodo, Doe, Donea, Draper, Evans, Farnando, Faw/Faa, Fawtree, Finch, Fingo, Foster, Fowler, Gray/Grey, Gregory, Green, Hall, Harrison, Hearn[e]/Hern[e]/Ern/Heron/Herrin[g]/Herren, Henley, Hercoat, Hilton, Holt, Hughes, Husbands, Ingram, James, Jones, King, Knight, Lee/Leigh, Linyan/Linian, Lock/Locke/Locks, Lovell, Loveridge, Mason, Morrell, Nelson, Newcomb, Newberry/Newbury/Rewbrey, Parker, Pearse, Phillips, Price, Revill/Revell, Scamp/Skamp/Skemp/Kemp, Shandley, Sherriff, Smith, Stanley, Stevens/Stephens, Swales, Taylor, Volantine/Volantyne, Wainright, Watts, Waylan, White, Wilkinson, Williams, Wilshaw, Wood/Woods, Woodall, Young

Hope this is helpful.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline quaker20004

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 28 May 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
Cathayb - did you ever find a link from Snowdrop to Lucretia Smith? I'm a descendent of William and Sophia Smith.