Author Topic: Ancestors in India  (Read 5362 times)

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors in India
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 October 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
Thank you for your welcome.  I have indeed moved on after my last posting.  Illness has prevented me from doing much research but, although still bed bound most of the time, I have a new laptop which enables me to do some research wherever I am if I am well enough.

Progress has been:
1.  I now have a marriage for Mary Ann Whelan to William Francis Hawkins in 1884 in Dublin, Ireland. Probably on return from India and before they settled down back in Stinchcombe.
2.  Like wise, the marriage of John  Whelan to Frances Beeby was registered in 1858 in Naas, Co. Kildare, Ireland.  This is a town close to the regiment's barracks at the Curragh.
3.  I now have a third child for their marriage, Frederick William Whelan born 21 Aug 1863 born at sea as the regiment and families were en-route to India. I have contact with relatives of this child, he went on to spend 25 years in the army himself and on leaving the army settled in Australia with his wife and some of their younger children. The 1901 census shows him at barracks in Suffolk and shows him as being born on HMS Euphrates.
4.  I have seen a record that shows John Whelan died of disease (unspecified) on 27 Jun 1868 at Lucknow, India.
5.  I have also seen a record for his widow (Frances, nee Beeby) marrying Joseph Donald 26 Oct 1868 at Lucknow, India. They had five children, the last two being born in Wrexham, Wales, where they settled from about 1880 onwards.  I now have records of many descendants from these children, my wife's half cousins!!

I have still to find any parentage for John Whelan, born 1827 in Rathvilla, Co. Offally, Ireland.

I have not researched the parents of Joseph Donald, as they are not direct ancestry to my wife.  He was born in 1839 in Hulme, Manchester.  He died in 1892 at St Asaph, military camp.

I would like to find a death record for Frances, would be Frances DONALD, to complete her picture.  Last seen in 1901 census as a widow at the home of her son Arthur Clement DONALD in St Helens, where he was a glass bottle maker.

If anyone wants to know more about the above, please private message me and I can send files with more details to you.

Thanks again to all who replied to this thread whilst I was absent, and apologies that I was not able to reply earlier.

Garry
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze