Author Topic: PICKARD, Warwickshire  (Read 11004 times)

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
PICKARD, Warwickshire
« on: Saturday 15 March 08 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Researching Pickard family in Coventry and surrounding area 1700-late 1900s. Some occupations, Coal Merchant, Staymaker, perhaps weaver.  Could or most likely be a Huguenot family.  Any help much appreciated.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline greenrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PICKARD, Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 July 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have Pickards from Coventry in my tree.  A William Pickard born 12th March, 1800 who married a Mary Eaves.  His father was a John Pickard circa 1770 and I believe the family may have been Huegenots who originally came to Warwickshire from France but have been unable to prove this as I live in Australia and it is very hard to find information from over here.  The family were Silk Weavers I believe.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
I have Pickards from Coventry in my tree.  A William Pickard born 12th March, 1800 who married a Mary Eaves.  His father was a John Pickard circa 1770 and I believe the family may have been Huegenots who originally came to Warwickshire from France but have been unable to prove this as I live in Australia and it is very hard to find information from over here.  The family were Silk Weavers I believe.
  Hello Greenrose,
If as you say in the 1841 Census reply you are descended from William Pickard, staymaker (apprenticed in Coventry) = Lucy Perkins, then we are connected.   However, The date of Wm b 12 Mar 1800 does seem too late for the father of Wm staymaker, as I know from the Apprenticeship Registers that his father was Wm, coal merchant.  Though I have not found the name of his wife.   The grandparents of Wm staymaker seem to be John Pickard= Elizabeth Walker at Holy Trinity, Coventry 16 Oct 1769 although I do not have the link between the two generations. Their son should be Wm the coalmerchant. There are many Pickards in nearby Foleshill and it could be they settled there prior to being in Coventry.  It is hard to sort them out.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Leics. Vincent

Offline greenrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Just wondering ... which of William's sons or daughters are you descended from.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 July 10 14:42 BST (UK) »
Sarah Pickard, b.St John, Coventry, 1 Feb 1811 daughter of William = Lucy (Perkins) is my great-great-grandmother. Her daughter Mary Agnes Brooks = William Whitehead my greatgrandfather at St Michael, Coventry 9 Feb 1880.
Sarah= John Brooks (came from Dublin) in St Osburg RC Church, Coventry 25 March 1851.  His first wife died in Coventry of Asiatic cholera.  Wonder whether you descend from this line too. Best wishes.
Leics. Vincent

Offline greenrose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 July 10 06:01 BST (UK) »
Yes,  I do come from this line.  William Pickard married Lucy Perkins in Coventry St Michael on 30th April, 1799.  My Ancestor, William Pickard was born on 12th March, 1800 and was Sarah's older brother.  Sarah was baptised on 4th February, 1811 at Coventry St Michael and married John Brookes.  William and Lucy had many other children.  I have traced my ancestry down from William to the present day and have discovered at least two cousins in the UK along the way also related through this direct line.  When I started my research over 10 years ago, I knew almost nothing about the Pickards.  There have been quite a few "surprises" along the way on my direct line which makes for an interesting Family Tree.  By the way, William Pickard was born in 1777 and was baptised on 7th April, 1777 at Holy Trinity, Coventry, Warwickshire.  His father was John Pickard, born in 1749 and died in 1826 at Holy Trinity Church, Coventry, Warwickshire.  He married an Elizabeth Walker on 16th October, 1769 in Holy Trinity, Coventry.  Elizabeth was  born on 15th November, 1747  in Coventry,Warwickshire and died in 1825.  Her father was Thomas Walker born about 1720.  I don't know when John Pickard arrived in the UK, but it is thought that he may have been a Huegonot from France.  The first of the Pickards on my line to arrive in Australia in 1884 was Henry Eaves Pickard, along with many family members.  For some reason the name "Eaves" seems to have carried on through the generations since William Pickard married Mary Eaves.  It appears to have only been given to the Henrys and Marys ... with the exception of one Matilda.  I don't know why.  I have often wondered why the name carried through for so long ... right up to the 1920s.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 February 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Greenrose.  Most interested to know we are linked through Sarah's brother William.
On first glance it seems you have the generations sorted going back with the elder Pickards, but I need to look at this more closely.   What do you think about the coal merchant, who apprenticed his son to Staymaker?  This must be right as it appears in the Apprenticeship Register for Coventry.   Do we have any idea where in France they came from?   Of course they were Protestants fleeing from the Edict of Nantes which persecuted French Protestants.  Some of them were even welcomed in Berlin by Fredrick the Great!   They even had their own French Cathedral in the City.  I am Coventry born myself.  But did not know of the Pickard connection for years.
Leics. Vincent

Offline StevePickard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 October 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all.  Greenrose - I'm heading back through my tree and have arrived at John Pickard, b1806, silk weaver from Bedworth, married Elizabeth Hartell , 7 children.  Have several possibilities for his father, 3 of which are Williams!  Was wondering if you had John anywhere in your tree