Author Topic: Old newspapers.  (Read 21947 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Old newspapers.
« on: Saturday 15 March 08 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone else become totally engrossed in this web site?

<<link removed this is not a legitimate access for the generalpublic>>

I have just spent most of the day searching through old newspapers and finding all sorts of wonderful stuff.
The Northern Echo reports on the misdemeanours of my great great grandmother, whom I knew to have spent a substantial amount of time in prison. But it also tells of her attempted suicide whilst in custody ( she tried to cut her throat with a penknife!) - something which isn't mentioned in the quarter sessions reports. It has made me feel quite differently about her - I have always thought she was a bit of a hard character, given to stealing and hard drinking but maybe there was more to it than that.

I also now know what happened to my great grandfather's ship. Or at least I know that it went aground near Berwick and that there was to be an attempt to refloat her.

I know when he gained his second mate's certificate, when he became a master mariner and who qualified at the same time.

This is a wonderful site and I'm not sure I will ever find time to do housework again.

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: Old newspapers.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 March 08 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen
I don't have great stories like that but have managed to pin down a couple of deaths, and a birth that I'll have to look into

Oh yes ..and there was of course a John Newton who won prizes 4 years in a row for his gooseberries...don't know if he's mine though  ;D
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
How do you get access to the site? It keeps asking me for a username.

Andrew

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 08 03:01 GMT (UK) »

Me too, I can't get past the 'username' log on!!

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 March 08 11:24 GMT (UK) »
It's fascinating, I knew a relative (distant, I hasten to add!) had been in prison for stealing a few things, but when I did a search for her name, up came a court case and inquest for her father, who died after she pushed him onto the floor after threatening him with a knife   :o
Think I'll be on this site all day, don't know how long the access is limited to.

Barbara    :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Me too, I can't get past the 'username' log on!!

I tried just putting in my name, which it rejected, but then it took me to a site which suggested that if I was a library member I should put in my bar code number and password of my library.  I did that and guess what - it rejected it!

I belong to Hampshire CC Libraries and also Manchester Libraries so I'm going to see if by going to their sites I can get in.

Otherwise - HELP Jen.

Lizzie

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:16 GMT (UK) »
They have shut the door to everyone except members of Higher Education Establishments which are registered with them.  It is your University Library Number that they are asking for.

I was extremely annoyed because I was half way through a major track through Jackson's Oxford Journal and I had formed a list of references to go back to in order to transcribe the details.  It looks like a trip to Collingdale now.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Try just clicking on the link in Jen's post, I have just done do with no problem.

I have also been using the same link for the past two days.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 March 08 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Jebber

That's what we have been doing and this is what comes up:

Check to be sure your User Group ID or other authentication credentials are correct.
   Enter UserGroup Identification:    

Lizzie