Author Topic: vad hospital stockport  (Read 20152 times)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: vad hospital stockport
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 April 08 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all  (from a Stockport lass) ;D

There was also Stockport Infirmary

Here's some info on St Thomas' when it closed.  It used to be a workhouse - and I know later it was used for psychiatric patients but what it was in the war I don't know

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03bc/

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 April 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
Looks like St Thomas was still a workhouse in 1914-18.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Stockport/Stockport.shtml

But here's another possibility. There's a ref here to Pendlebury Hall in Stockport being used as a Red Cross Hospital in WW1.

http://www.andybarson.co.uk/Stockport2006.htm

Stockport is/was quite big - there could well be a few other possibilities.

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester

Offline Trilobite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 21:43 BST (UK) »
Ray,

If you can upload the picture and I will have a look to see if I recognise the background. I have lived in Stockport all my life so you never know.

Regards
Trilobite
Durkin - County Mayo & Bradford, Yorkshire
Linskey - County Mayo & Bradford, Yorkshire
Cannon - County Sligo & Bradford, Yorkshire
O'Hara - County Sligo & Bradford, Yorkshire
Hilditch - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wilcock - Preston & Burnley
Horsfield - Bury
Howard - Liverpool
Wilson - Scarborough
Gibson - Scarborough
Normandale - Scarborough

Offline rayharris185

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 May 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
Photo attached although it is an internal view only

Ray
Larkham, Angel, Harris, Stockley
Hand, Adams, Welch, Lillington, Samways

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 May 08 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

I have a book called THE DARK CLOUD Stockport Life in the Great War by David Kelsall which has a section on wounded and the hospitals and  a couple of interesting pages about the hospitals and the VAD.  For anyone interested in that time in Stockport it is a great read.  It's one of the booklet type books from Lancashire Family History Society and looks to be well researched (although as it doesn't give individual sources for the facts and figures you can't really check.  But it looks like it might have come from old news reports of the time)

It mentions the wounded being treated at base hospitals well behind the front line and then the worst cases brought back by hospital ship for treatment in Britain.

It says that Stockport - with ultimately 12 hospitals played a major role in the care of the wounded. Patients arrived by hospital train to Stockport and also Manchester stations.

It gives a run-down of what was happening with some photos of some of the buildings - but here are  the main bits of info.

Stockport VAD HQ was at Bucknau House on Wyatt Street in Heaton Norris.  St John's Ambulance also helped in the running of the VADs and their HQ was at Rechabite Hall, Higher Hillgate, Stockport.

Stockport Infirmary reserved beds within a week of the start of the war and then within a few days received wounded who were cared for by regular nurses and also the VAD. By July 1916 there were 48 beds for the wounded. After the Battle of the Somme, they gave over a new extension wing with 100 beds to the injured...and for the remainder of the war there were between 30 and 50 being cared for at any one time.

But there were also other places converted to care for the wounded.

Within three days of declaration of war Pendlebury Hall, orphanage (Lancashire Hill) was converted into a hospital run by the Red Cross Society's VAD (50 women and 5 men). It had a max of 75 beds and cared for 1811 men during the war.

A second Red Cross hospital was opened in nov 1914 at the Wesleyan School in Heaton Mersey (with 25 -30 beds)

In May 1915 Stepping Hill Hospital had nine wards reserved for the wounded - it's first were vitims of the first gas attacks at 2nd Battle of Ypres.

At end March 1915 - four council schools were converted into Military hospitals... Hollywood Park, St George's, Vernon Park and Alexandra Park. (The children had to go part time to make room). 29th Sep 1915 - the schools received 300 wounded from the Battle of Loos. By Dec 1915 they provided enough beds for 750 patients

End September 1916 and wounded were arriving at North Reddish Council School.

By Sep 1918 Stockport had two shell shock hospitals - both in Brinnington.  300 victims distributed between these and Vernon park Hospital.

Towards the end of the war the Town Hall was being used to house the wounded.  Also Cale Green School.

Other hospitals in the area supplied wounded soldier's rest huts... Highfield Hall in Bredbury, Brabyns Hall in Marple Bridge. Plus two in Reddish - in Gorton Road and Station Approach. (There is a pic and it looks rather like a bus shelter)

There appear to have been so many hospitals involved with so many soldiers that it would be hard to pin down the specific one in the photo unfortunately - but perhaps some of the info may give more clues.   Do you have a date of when and where he was wounded?   Do you have his service records from Kew?   If you knew when he was wounded maybe some of the info above would at least give you a picture of where he may possibly have been cared for.   

Hope that helps - if you post your chap's name or any details I can have another look for you and see if there is anything else ...

Milly ;D ;D

Offline rayharris185

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 May 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Milly

Thanks for the information - my grandfathers service record was one of those destroyed during WW2. I believe he was wounded 1915-16 during one of the engagements around Ypres.
I was wondering if it might be any use in putting the photo on a local (Stockport) family history site as although it might be a long shot someone might recognise one of the staff.

Thanks again
Ray

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 04 May 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
By 1916 - it could have been either Stockport Infirmary or Stepping Hill, or Pendlebury Hall, or any of the six schools mentioned (or another place that isn't mentioned ::)) -

Posting a picture is a very long shot (but I like long shots - you never know).

In the original post you said you were trying to find any records... it might be worth posting on the WW1  board to see if anyone there has ever heard of any hospital records being kept, or anything on movement of wounded soldiers.   

Other than that maybe the local records office my have some info - now you can ask a more specific question giving names of the hospitals and schools.  Or you could try old newspaper reports from the local papers of the time (try Stockport library).....again all very very long shots to try to find mention of a specific name.

Good Luck

Milly ;D

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 May 08 23:55 BST (UK) »
The booklet sounds like a brilliant read, can’t wait to get my hands on a copy.
I had thought that the local Stockport newspapers would be a likely source of information and have intended to look at them but been a bit busy with other things lately and not had much time to spend at the library.
I have shown a copy of the photograph to various people of some senior years without much success. General consensus was The Infirmary or Stepping Hill.
Ray, just a thought, if you wanted to go “public” with this how about contacting The Stockport Express newspaper at www.stockportexpress.co.uk I feel sure they would find it interesting enough to print your photograph and run the story.

Pat.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rayharris185

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 May 08 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

Thanks for the info re Sockport Express - have sent them an email with the photo and will wait for their response.

Regards
Ray