Author Topic: William Stewart Orr & Annie Craig - Kilbirnie, Ayrshire  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Kin-getter

• RootsChat Senior
  • "I grow old ever learning new things"
    • View Profile
William Stewart Orr & Annie Craig - Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
« on: Sunday 16 March 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
William Stewart Orr and Annie Craig from Kilbirnie families and settled in Mt Sterling, North Carolina.

Williams dob is given as 1857 dod as 1889. (He died young - 32 - through a logging accident.)
Conflicting information I've received gives his mother's name as Janet Orr, another Mary Orr.

I'm struggling to get both father and mother for William.

Is there anyone 'doing' Orrs?

Thanks for any assistance.

James.
Ayrshire: Craig, Orr.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Stewart Orr & Annie Craig - Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 March 08 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi James,

This is William's birth;

William Stewart Orr, born 15th November 1857 Kilbirnie - parents Mary Orr

Mary possibly had another children in 1860?

Janet Agnes Orr, born 3rd March 1860 Kilbirnie - parents Mary Orr

Quite often with illegitimate births, the father's surname would be given as the child's middle name. In this case, you possibly have Stewart as William's father's name. Did William marry? If so, did he name his father then?

hume24 :)

Offline Kin-getter

• RootsChat Senior
  • "I grow old ever learning new things"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 March 08 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hume, thanks.

My understanding is that William and Annie did marry, probably in Ayrshire and went to North Carolina in the 1880's.  That comes from a poster on Rootsweb's McEwing Message Board.

James.

Hi James,

This is William's birth;

William Stewart Orr, born 15th November 1857 Kilbirnie - parents Mary Orr

Mary possibly had another children in 1860?

Janet Agnes Orr, born 3rd March 1860 Kilbirnie - parents Mary Orr

Quite often with illegitimate births, the father's surname would be given as the child's middle name. In this case, you possibly have Stewart as William's father's name. Did William marry? If so, did he name his father then?

hume24 :)
Ayrshire: Craig, Orr.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 March 08 22:33 GMT (UK) »
No marriage showing in Scotland between those two names. Possibly they married in America? :-\

hume24

Offline Rita.st3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Im new to the site, ive also been search for the Stewart family from Kilbirnie, I managed to find them on the 1891 census as living at lochend crescent, Alexander and Mary i believe was my great great grand parents who came over from Ireland but i dont know when, the had 4 daughter, Mary the oldest, who i believe was my great great grandmother who lived at the same address with her parent along with my grandfather Robert Arthur who is stated as being 4months old at the time of census, Mary and Alexander's other children where Sarah, alice, Jane and Samuel,,,,, the reason for my post is, my own father never knew his( Robert Arthur) fathers past other than that he was adopted. My grandfather's death certificate states that his parents where Margaret and James Stewart,,, so I am now thinking that my grandfather was brought up by family members on his fathers side and his name was later changed to Stewart,,, i would really love to get any information that anyone may have.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:12 BST (UK) »
hi Rita welcome to Roots chat
have you looked at your grandfathers birth as this will give you his parents names I noticed there is a birth of a Robert Arthur registered in Kilbrine in 1890 If as you say he was informally adopted the informant of his death may not have known who his parents were or have you located his marriage as this will also tell you his parents names as given by Robert himself

Offline Rita.st3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy! Thankyou, Ive been unable to find my grandfather's marriage certificate to my grandmother Jean Mushet, My grandfather had been previously married to someone else before he married my grandmother and my own father passed away in 1990 and did not speak about where his father and mother where married, but i do remember my dad mentioning that his mother Jean (Mushet) Stewart came from Kilmarnock,,, but again i couldnt find anything..

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita I'm not finding them either as your father is deceased can you give us his name and his birth and death details

Offline Rita.st3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

My father's name was Alexander Mcleod Stewart, is d.o.b was 3rd July 1926, born in Camlachie Glasgow,  died on the 5th May 1990 Glasgow, his death was registered at Martha St Glasgow