Author Topic: O'Hagan, McCarroll Eskra Tyrone  (Read 32259 times)

Offline Mary Agnes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Hagan, McCarroll Eskra Tyrone
« on: Sunday 16 March 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Mary Agnes O'Hagan, daughter of Henry and Mary Ann (McCarroll) O'Hagan.  She was born in Eskra about 1895 and died 11-30-1942.  Her married name was McCallen.
She is buried in Eskra.
I would like to know when and where Mary Agnes was married, her husbands full name and did she have children.  If so what are their names.
I do know that Mary Agnes had 4 brothers, Arthur, John, Harry and Dennis and 2 sisters, Catherine (Cassie) and Margaret (Peg). 
Thanks, Mary

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: O'Hagan, McCarroll Eskra Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 08 00:29 GMT (UK) »
helllo mary,welcome to rootschat, i could'nt find anything on mary. but i did find her parents marriage.

HENRY HAGAN TO MARY ANN MCCARROLL 8-1-1888. @CLOGHER RC CHURCH, CLOGHER, TYRONE.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline bernardhagan

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 April 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
Mary - I think we have corresponded before.

From the notes I took when in Eskragh in 1991, Mary Agnes O'HAGAN [McCALLEN] died at Eskragh  on 30 November 1942 aged 47 and had no children.  As this information is second-hand I cannot vouch for its accuracy.  It was given to me by Maureen GORMLEY, the daughter of Margaret [Maggie] McCARROLL and James HAGAN.  She then lived at Augher, County Tyrone though has since died. 

I may be going to Ireland in a few weeks and could do some research if I knew where the church/chapel records for Eskra were deposited.  I did hear that they were in Monaghan but all correspondence with the Clogher History Society based there has gone unanswered.

Does anyone know?
Semt message on Fb
Tyrone:  HAGAN, O'HAGAN, McWILLIAMS, CAMPBELL, GILMORE, McCRACKEN, REID
Armagh:  McIVOR, McKEEVER, KANE
Fermanagh:  ELLIOTT
Monmouthshire:  BROWN[E], BOXEL, WATKINS, PRI[T]CHARD
Herefordshire:  BROWN, GRIFFITHS, JONES, COOK[E]
Gloucestershire:  BOXEL, BOXWELL, COLE, WEBB, BROWN
Cornwall:  MOYLE, KENDALL, TREWEEK, TREGONNING, WILLIAMS, MAY, VISICK

Offline Tyrone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Millennium Shrimp. "Tied by Me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 08 21:08 BST (UK) »
Mary
I'm going to Eskra Thursday next to have a search around the graveyard for another researcher. Would you like me to do the same for you. Eskra Chapel and the adjoining graveyard is only 6 miles from me.

Regards
tyrone
Briggs - Pontefract
Pennington - Wigan
Martin - Hartley Wintey
Silver - Hartley Wintey - Hampshire

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 08 17:50 BST (UK) »
When I first located the documents I was looking for they were at the Clogher church for my family.  That was probably because they were part of that parish in those days, circa 1860 plus. 

As you may know the Eskra chapel became a parish long after that period and where those records may rest at this time may be at the Priest's House or even the chapel itself. Eskra chapel and the graveyard were part of the Clogher parish for quite some time and then it was given its own status as a parish.  The Priest's House is not contiguous with the chapel, but most everyone in the parish could tell you where it is.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline Mary Agnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 June 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
Bernard, I am sorry I did not get back to you until now.  Did you go to Ireland and did you find any information about Mary Agnes?  No one in the family seems to know anything about her and everyone who did know has died. 
I was going to go to Ireland this summer and visit my sister but unfortunately I will not be able to make it.  Maybe next year and then I could look up all of my relatives.
Mary

Offline Roh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 August 08 17:05 BST (UK) »
Very excited to read of searches made for Mary McCarroll and family. I am Roisin, daughter of Henry O'Hagan (son of Maggie McCarroll and James Hagan) and Rose O'Hagan (nee Gallagher) from Eskra Co.Tyrone. Can dig up as much info as I can on the family tree. Unfortunately Maureen Gormley was the last of her family to die but her children would  be more than keen to supply you with info. Let me know if you are going to visit Northern Ireland next summer - I, my sister Kay and brother Paul would certainly make an effort to meet.

Regards,

Roisin

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: O'Hagan, McCarroll - Eskra, Tyrone
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 08 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Roisin.

Like you I am one of the McCarroll's from the Eskragh parish, specifically Corkhill.  But my family ties are not directly related to yours - although in the distance there had to be some connection.

I was interested in your comments about Maggie McCarroll.  I assume that she was the one who married James Hagan.  Was she a McGarrity from Agharonan?  That assumption is  made because I heard from Maggie Tighe (before she passed away - she was over 90 in 1982 when I first visited) that Maggie was a cousin - somehow related not only through the McCarrolls but also the McCuskers  But then, aren’t all of those McCarroll's, Devine's, Donnely's, and McGarrity's “friends” as Maggie called the cousins?

My great grandmother was a McCosker, although she spelt her name as McCusker.  She was from Agharonan, daughter of Patrick.  She married Owen McCarroll of Corkhill and they lived in a place that was torn down by the Devines in 1982 (that was No. 2). 

They had a number of children: Ellen who married Andrew Bogan; Pat who was single and made his way to San Francisco with his brother Tom, who married Catherine from Newtonsaville; Michael who went to California and returned to Fintona where he married my grandmother Agnes Gaffigan; Hugh and Jane who stayed in the Corkhill residence where my great grandmother died, and then there was Little Owen who was father to a number of children who stayed around the Omagh and Beragh areas.

Michael returned to Omagh and married Agnes, then went into business in Fintona.  Mickey and Agnes, my grandparents, owned the pub in Fintona on Main Street where my father and his siblings were raised.  They sold it to Francis McAtee when Michael became ill and was soon to die, in 1924.  My father left for San Francisco shortly after and that was where I was raised.

Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline Mary Agnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 08 18:26 BST (UK) »
Roisin, I am the daughter of Arthur O'Hagan who is the son of Henry Hagan and Mary Ann McCarroll.  My father moved back to Fintona with my mother about 39 years ago.  I visited them once about 32 years ago and was overwhelmed by the number of people that were related to my father.
I have a hard time keeping track of how I am related to everyone. A cousin of mine, Kathleen Hagan daughter of Harry Hagan tries to explain who everyone is.  She has been to Ireland a number of times.
Are you related to my Hagan/O'Hagan family?  Even though my sister lives in Omagh I am still having a hard time getting information for my family tree.
I am trying to find out all I can about Mary Ann McCarroll and her family.
Mary Agnes