Author Topic: Ayr MI's  (Read 34218 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ayr MI's
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 April 08 19:50 BST (UK) »
Ayr Cem:
(front) Sacred to the memory of David McJannet son of Hugh McJannet merchant Ayr d 22 Jan 1869 aged 20 yrs. "The Lord gave and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." (left side) Hugh McJannet merchant of Ayr d 24 Oct 1881 aged 62 "Blessed Jesus, there is no night if Thou art near." (right side) jane Lusk wid of Hugh McJannet d 1903

No Muirs or MacKays Newton on Ayr

Several Mackays in Ayr. Will post those later
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 April 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
Scully
There are loads of Youngs in Wallacetown Cem and Ayr. Can you narrow it down a bit with some rough dates and christian names?
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 April 08 20:04 BST (UK) »
Ayr Cem:
Er by William Howat, Ironmonger, Ayr, in memory of his chn Susan MACKAY d 14 Feb 1858 aged 9 and a half mth. William Douglas 13 Dec  1862 aged 8 yr 8 mth. Euphemia McIlwraith 15 Dec 1862 aged 3 yr 10 mth. Ann McBeth 3 Dec 1863 aged 2 yr. (base) Margaret Millar 8 Feb 1878 in her 26th yr. John d 23 Jul 1898 aged 48 yr. The above William Howat d 19 Feb 1894 in his 71 yr. Margaret MCKAY his wife d 18 May 1912 in her 90th yr. (scroll) Douglas Eusebe Howat d 5 Aug 1918 aged 22 yr. Rachel Bonpain or Howat d 17 Aug 1941

Er by John McKay in memory of his dau Elizabeth Agnes McIlwraith d 18 Oct 1871 aged 9 mth. In loving memory of the above John Mckay d 23 Apr 1882 aged 61 yr. also of his eldest son John d Brisbane Queensland 29 Aug 1890 and was int in Toowoong cemetery. Also of his third son Andrew McIlwraith d at Perth West Australia 22 Jan 1898. In loving memory of Euphemia McIlwraith wife of the above John Mackay d 12 July 1902 aged 71 yr (plinth) Also his dau Jessie Howat d 11 Apr 1945

In loving memory of Edward Meekin d 4 Nov 1917 also his wife Mary MACKAY d 18 June 1942 and their dau Jessie Annie d 10 Aug 1889, their younges dau Barbara d 28 Oct 1970

Offline McCann

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 April 08 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for searching the MacKays and McJannets.
None seem to match so far, but I will certainly keep the information in the event somewhere in the family I can make a match.  Your time is greatly appreciated.

I hate to beg you for further information after you have already done so much, but did you happen to notice if there were any Muirs in Ayr?  I have Gabriel Muir who died Sept. 11, 1790, Ayr Parish.  His wife, Euphemia (Baird) Muir died between 1841 - 1851, should also be Ayr Parish.

Thank you.
All the best!

Offline scully

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 April 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Julieann,
Heres a couple, Margaret Young married to John Douglas Hendrie after 1882 and a Andrew Young married to Sarah or Agnes Smith. What years do the MI,s cover.

Scully

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 April 08 09:52 BST (UK) »
McCann
The Ayr Cemetary in Holmston Rd didn't open until 1862.  There are quite a few Muirs in Ayr Auld Kirk, Newton-on-Ayr and St Quivox, but no sign of Gabriel and Euphemia. 

I found another MACKAY in Ayr Auld Kirk:

Erected by William McKay...his dau Elizabeth d in Oct 18(32). And of Elizabeth Murrow his wife d3 Jul 1837 aged 49. And his son David d 5 Dec 1840 aged 16. Elizabeth Murrow his mother-in-law d 18 Apr 1835 aged 99. also of said William McKay, Barrack Serjeant, Ayr d 23 Feb 1850 aged 71. and of his youngest dau Charlotte d at Irvine 11 Feb (1850) aged.......

also Ayr Auld Kirk, these McJannets:

In loving memory of James and Agnes McJanet.... (This appears to be the top of the stone belonging to the base remaining in position 99- ed)

(The entry for no 99 is:"Erected by their niece M J D Andrew. (All that remains of this stone is the plinth and on cross referencing with the early 20th cent. transcription it would appear that the main part of the stone is now to be found on the small granite cross at inscription no 13 - McJanet - ed)")

In memory of Henry Cowan d at Bombay 22 Nov 1819 aged 50. also Margaret McJannet his wife d 18 Oct 1840 aged 67. also of their dau Elizabeth d 20 Jun 1854 aged 48.

In memory of Andrew Hunter Wood Captain 15th reg H.E.I.C.S who d at Cawnpore 31 May 1834 aet 44. Isabella McJannet his widow who d at Ayr 23 DEc 1960 aet 70. Their children Isabella Hutchinson who d at Calcutta Nov 1824. Andrew Hunter who d at Hansi Aug 1828. William who d at London Oct 1852 aet 25. David Peebles Mackenzie eldest son born at Barrackpore India 1 Dec 1823 d at South Lilli(muir) Australia 8 Apr 1893

(On top '3 Graves') Erected in memory of Robert McJannet Innkeeper in Ayr d 10 Oct 1847 aged 59 and Mary McMurtie his wife.........77 yr.

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 April 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Scully
I have looked up Hendrie - re a Young/Hendrie grave- in Newton on Ayr, Ayr Auld Kirk, Ayr Cem, and Wallacetown with no sign of your Margaret and John.

I will go through the Youngs and Smiths later - there are rather a lot of them.

Ayr Cemetary opended in 1862.  The other places are churchyards, so a lot earlier.  I think the church at Wallacetown was built around 1835.   I don't know when they stopped being used for burials. Ayr Auld Kirk was built in the 1650's

Offline scully

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 April 08 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Julieann,
 Thanks for taking the time to look.

Scully

Offline McCann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 April 08 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Julieann.  I will check my family for matches.  All the best.