Author Topic: james jones  (Read 7438 times)

Offline genefinder

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james jones
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 May 08 02:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Rosemary joan
I am searching for the death cert.of james jones which i have amongst my hundreds of research papers i am doing lots of lines and i have mislaid it when i find it i will look at the time and work out his parents ages then i can go on from there.
thank you for your help if i can find when his parents arrived in Australia that also would be a help to the rootschatters i just havent got much yet .Will get back to you .
Yes it would be lovely to find just where in Ireland the family came from. Have just found i have quiet a lot of irish blood running through my veins.Thought I was all English and scotch but once a lady told me all green eyes have irish blood
pennington /huddersfield pennington/australia goddard/ uk may/uk bevitt /uk harvey/ uk/devlin/ ireland  murrell uk faux /tasmania jones /ireland nordstedt/sweden  hughes/uk  henry/uk mccarthy /australia quinn/australia

Offline genefinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 May 08 11:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters
I have the right information now from death Cert
James jones was killed falling from a horse 1879 aged 41yrs time in colony 17yrs
makes him born 1838 IGI right  came in 1862 makes him 24yrs when he arrived.any help on that info woud be great
 sorry the message was mixed up i lost the death cert .
     thanks  :-[                                Liz
pennington /huddersfield pennington/australia goddard/ uk may/uk bevitt /uk harvey/ uk/devlin/ ireland  murrell uk faux /tasmania jones /ireland nordstedt/sweden  hughes/uk  henry/uk mccarthy /australia quinn/australia

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 May 08 11:46 BST (UK) »
Liz, Can you access the Shipping Records for 1862?  You often find clues on the Ship's Manifest and even see who was travelling with James.  In the meantime,  I will find out if the records for Newtownhamilton First Presbyterian Church exist.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 May 08 12:07 BST (UK) »
Liz -  Newtownhamilton First Presbyterian amalgamated with Clarkesbridge Presbyterian Church in 1888.  I have just phoned the Minister and he tells me that the Church records were are copied a while ago.  So, hopefully you could have them searched for £13+ .  The reference number is T/2523.
www.proni.gov.uk
send them an email if you like.
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline genefinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 May 08 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you rosemary joan
When i get financial i will I have been paying for lots of certificates here.Pensions dont go far.13 pounds is $30 i am not sure yet if its my family.
                   Liz

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 May 08 12:27 BST (UK) »
Here is a strange entry in LDS
James Jones, birth 1838, Armagh, Ireland
father George Jones, mother Margaret McConnell
death 7 Oct. 1879, Bright, Victoria
another child of George and Margaret is
Jane Ingram Jones, born 1832, Armagh Ireland
Death 1911 (no place given)
The dates don't fit your enquiry.
RosemaryJoan

Hello RosemaryJoan, as is now known, the dates do fit - the original enquiry being in error.
The death entry for James from the Victoria Australia BDM index gives:
JONES James, age 41, birthplace Armagh, father George, mother Margaret MCCONNELL, died 1879

However, Liz, death certificates are notoriously unreliable - James's age and the names of his parents might be correct but, on the other hand, they might not.
It would seem to be a good idea (if you haven't done this already) to get James's 1866 Victorian marriage certificate to confirm the names of his parents (it should also state his father's occupation) and to find out the religion of James, his wife and the minister; it may also be more specific about his birthplace.

If it isn't, then the certificates of births of his children (there are 8 births recorded in the Victorian BDM to James JONES & Jane HUGHES) could possibly be worth getting - one of them might be more specific about James's birthplace.

The other IGI entry which you mentioned, RosemaryJoan, about a possible sister of James - "Jane Ingram JONES" - is interesting; but its content doesn't quite gel with the official Victorian BDM index.

Her death entry is as follows:
Jane WESTON (no middle name of Ingram) died aged 78 at Bright, Victoria in 1911; parents listed as Jno JONES & Margt MCCONNELL.  Hmm...

There are birth entries for 11 children of Albert Durer WESTON & Jane JONES between 1855 and 1875.  But none of these has Jane indexed as Jane Ingram JONES.

However, the only likely marriage listed is:
Albert WESTON m Jane INGRAM, 1854 (unfortunately there are no birthplaces listed in this entry for either bride or groom; I guess they might be on the certificate ...).
I suspect this is the correct marriage as an Albert Durer WESTON had a child with another lady in Collingwood in 1854 (reg # is 16 so it was early in the year); the baby died at the age of 6 weeks and his mother also died in 1854 (reg # also quite low - 745).  The first child of Albert Durer WESTON & Jane JONES was born in Collingwood in 1855.

Confirmation of the names of the parents' of Jane (JONES) WESTON might be able to be found in the marriage cert (if that's the correct Jane); also it should state the religion of the parties.  Also her birthplace might be on the actual marriage certificate; it might be precise there and perhaps on the birth certs of the WESTON children.

Regards,

JAP
PS: Incidentally, James & family are also being discussed on the following thread (re his wife Jane):
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,303481
Getting the 1866 marriage certificate could help in tracing both James and Jane!

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 May 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
Liz,

A further thought.

Have you checked Victorian newspapers?  News items, death notices and funeral notices.

I bought the death cert of a relative who died after a fall from a horse in 1868.  This gave me the exact date of death so I searched the newspapers of the time.  As it happened, there was a news item about the incident.  There was no death notice but there was a funeral notice and it mentioned the Irish townland (though not the county!) from which he came - a great stroke of luck which enabled me to locate the birthplace of his brother (my ancestor - I'd known he came from Co Mayo but not where).

Also, was there an Inquest?  The death cert stated that there had been for the poor chap mentioned above - I got the inquest report and it mentioned his sister and brother-in-law (both of whom I'd known nothing about.)

JAP

Offline genefinder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 May 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jap
how do i get the inquest report is in the town it happened in
I did pay a researcher to get as much as they could from the town i got nothing only a paper from that time talking of a george Jones who had accidently shot himself while bird hunting.I think it may have been a relative.Bright is a very small town so you would think it would be easier .Records may not be kept there.
Also where would i be able to sight vic papers?I live in the country.                Liz

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 May 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
First of all, check the death certificate to see whether it mentions an inquest ...

There is a CD of the Victorian Inquest Index; the index can also be found in many libraries and at family history societies. 
There are helpful RootsChatter who are willing to do lookups.  You could start a new thread on the  Emigrants to Australia board.  With a subject something like 'Inquest Lookup please', and with a link to this thread.  However, I believe (I could be wrong) that to read an actual inquest report it is necessary to go in person to the North Melbourne reading room of the Pulbic Records Office of Victoria.

Victorian newspapers (including country newspapers) are probably held in the Public Library of Victoria.  And there would be holdings in other libraries and genealogical/family history societies, etc.

A Google seems to find mention of an Alpine Family History Group in Bright - whether the information is current I do not know.

JAP