Author Topic: The wrong Llantrisant  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
The wrong Llantrisant
« on: Wednesday 12 January 05 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone had any embarrassing tales about barking up the wrong tree, or indeed stumbling around the wrong churchyard looking for ancestors.  Just to prove that it always pays to do your homework properly, last year while staying in Cheltenham I glanced at the map of Wales and spotted Llantrisant, where my MARTIN family were associated in the 18th/19th Century, and persuaded the family to go for a day trip there (including Usk, thank goodness - which rather saved the day); but I was most perplexed to find so little there, no statue of Dr Price, etc.
Only when we got back and I had a really proper look at the map did I realise that the Llantrisant I wanted in Rhondda was miles away, beyond Cardiff: the one I had visited (only allowed an hour to wander there, but that was enough, as it turned out) is of course in Monmouthshire.
Hope this is pertinent enough to remain on this part of Rootschat, tho' possibly I might get shifted to the Lighter (Light-headed) Side.
Keith

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The wrong Llantrisant
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 23:24 GMT (UK) »
There is to be a Rootschat meet at the Glamorgan Family History Fair in
Llantrisant, RCT (Rhondda Cynon Taf).

17th April 2005.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=22608.msg93959#msg93959

Perhaps you can pursuade your family to venture into Wales for a second time...

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: The wrong Llantrisant
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 January 05 08:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm actually a great fan of Wales, sparked off by my days as a Primary School teacher and residential trips to Devil's Bridge, Llandrindod Wells and the Beddgelert and Tremadog areas of Snowdonia.  A few excellent family stays have since ensued.
Later this year, however, I'm going to make the journey with one or both of my Martin cousins to the Bridgend area - Coity, Ewenny and Merthyr Mawr are all described in the "AA Book of British Villages", pub. in 1980. and sound very attractive still.
I have been fascinated by details of the wool-tucking "cottage" industry in those parts in the 18th Century.  Just a shame that because of the Welsh naming patterns prior to that, it becomes difficult to trace back earlier...
Keith