Author Topic: Middlesbrough shops  (Read 4509 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesbrough shops
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 March 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I went to school with Harrisons and Woods in Lazenby. Don't remember any Hansoms or Seatons though.

At the risk of sounding churlish - it is always cold in Redcar! I have a dreadful memory having to play of hockey in the biting wind, in the days long before kids were allowed to wear tracksuits for outdoor activities.

Jen
( in Kendal, where it is snowing)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline kayelouise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi l know this is an old post of yours and this is a long shot that you even see this but Jane Knight nee White is my 3rd great grandmother. I am descended from her daughter Roseanna Knight who married Robert Rumins. Anyway I was wondering if you have found her birth? I know she was born in Staffordshire and her father is Joseph White but I've never found her birth record or her mothers name. TBH she hasn't made it easy for us as I'm sure she just picks a number when asked her age, it fluctuates so much. But she is definitely one of my ancestors that I am most proud of 😊😊 Thanks in advance Kaye

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 July 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Kaye,

Welcome to Rootschat! Long shot … not at all, I get really excited when new family members appear, especially when there's a chance that we might be able to help each other with our research.

Jane Knight is an enigma. Yes, she seems to have no clue as to when she was born, which does make any searches difficult. But there is more to it than that. I have another contact who has done lots of research into this line and who is currently waiting for some further information to arrive which will hopefully make things a little clearer.

There is a really interesting discussion going in the Middlesbrough Family History group on Facebook - it might be worth your while joining that, if you have an account. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post this link but am sure one of the moderators will remove it if I'm getting it wrong ( sorry mods if that is the case!!) It just seems the simplest way to tell you what we know, or think we know. Jane is one of my favourite ancestors too but boy, is she a complex character!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Middlesbroughfamilyhistory/search/?query=julie%20felgate

How are you descended from Roseanna? Would you mind telling me a bit more about that line? I believe they had four children but that only two, Bessie and Robert, survived into adult life. Is that right?

Regards,

Jen

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline kayelouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 July 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Jen I have sent a request to join the Middlesbrough th page. Also I am already linked to Julie Felgate via Anxxxxy so am familiar with the confusion over Jane White/Jones/Lavender.

So now a bit of background. Roseanne Knight married Robert Rumins in 1887 and had Bessie 1888 Robert 1891 Douglas 1893 and Ann Maria 1896. Douglas and Ann both died 1915. She also had John Edward Rumins in 1901. ROBERT died in 1900. She remarried in 1904 to John Edward Mitchell and Herbert was born in 1907. Not 100% if she was pregnant when Robert died but she hadn't married Mitchell yet so baby was given her previous name. Her son Robert William is my paternal grandmother's father so he is my great grandfather. His  daughter is Edith Annie Rumins who married George William Gibson and they are my grandparents. My dad can remember being sent to check on 'Granny Mitchell (Roseanna) when he was 5 years old and finding her dead!!!!

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 July 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
I think Julie's latest bit of research is one of our best leads so far! I've just been in touch with her to see if the latest certificate has arrived yet but she is still waiting. Fingers crossed for something helpful!

I already have Edith's marriage to George Gibson on my tree but it's good to know a bit more on that line.

I don't suppose you have any photographs of Roseanna and Robert - or any of that line?  :)

Offline kayelouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 July 18 06:51 BST (UK) »
Morning Jen. My dad has some old photos. I'll dig them out and have a look.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 July 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Ooooh! I shall look forward to that! I have some old photographs of that side of the family but the people on them are unidentified. Yours might help to clarify who they are. :)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info about the Middlesbrough page Genjen - my father's family lived in Middlesbrough and I spent many happy hours roaming the area around Sidney Street  with my cousins when I was a kid.  Also, very happy memories of caravan holidays in Redcar and Whitby.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info about the Middlesbrough page Genjen - my father's family lived in Middlesbrough and I spent many happy hours roaming the area around Sidney Street  with my cousins when I was a kid.  Also, very happy memories of caravan holidays in Redcar and Whitby.

My pleasure. There are other Middlesbrough based Facebook groups which might be worth looking at. There's one specifically for the Cannon Street area, which includes Sidney Street, I think.  :)