Author Topic: TREASE/TRAIES continued...  (Read 97886 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trease/Traies continued...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb

Found the 1891
RG12 25 111 41
again at 14 Rillington Place, Kensington
Samuel Sanders, 51, Carpenter, born Uffcolme, Devon - that one was readable and I think I've heard of it
Jane Sanders, 49, born Shoreditch

Not found Jane before so quite pleased to have found her!  They do seem to stick in the same trades.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I won't be posting any further messages until after Easter.  My son and family are expected to arrive this evening and will be here until next Tuesday.  So speak to you next week some time.

Daniel is four and Maria is two - so I'll be kept busy for the next few days!

Have a good Easter

Best wishes

Bernice
Have a lovely Easter yourself Bernice and enjoy the running around, there will be plenty of it  :) :)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernice ...

Have a great Easter ... enjoy the children  ;D 8)

Kerry ...yes there is def. an Uffcombe maybe Ulfcombe , which is what I thought of first. But the 1871 , didn't look anything like having a 'combe' on the end ...LOL

hey ..glad you found her ! No children though  :-\

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I can't find either the 1901 or deaths for either of them and A******y has started misbehaving!!

Kerry

Offline oldmanriver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Still waiting for the family to arrive - takes about 5 hours travelling.  So having finished making beds, tidying up etc. I looked to see if there were further messages about TRAIES.

I saw the one  from Kerry about the people at 14 Rillington Place, Notting Hill, Kensington.  Wondered if Kerry knew the significance of Rillington Place.  I can still remember the name from the 1950's.  Did you know that just two doors away at 10 Rillington Place lived Reginald John CHRISTIE?  No, thank God, Christie was unconnected to the TRAIES family - he was one of the most notorious murderers of all time!!

Living in a flat in the same house was Timothy EVANS.  EVANS wife and child were found strangled, EVANS confessed to the murder of his wife and was executed in 1950.  In 1952 the wife of CHRISTIE seemd to suddenly disapear and about a year later CHRISTIE moved from the flat.  New tenants couldn't understand the smell in the flat!!  CHRISTIE's wife was found buried underneath the floorboards - strangled!  Further searching of the house and garden revealed three further bodies of prostitutes who had vanished in 1951/2.   ChRISTIE was hanged in 1953.  The name of Rillington Place was changed to Ruston Close as Rillington Place became a most 'undesirable' place to live.

No-one knows why EVANS confessed and if he did in fact kill his wife.  In the circumstances it seems unlikely that two murderers lived in the same house at the same time.  EVANS had been hanged, many people thought there had been a miscarriage of justice.  It was mainly as a result of this case that the death penalty was abolished!

Hope you don't mind this being 'off the point' - just shows you never know what will turn up next!!

I really am signing off until after Easter now,

Hope you enjoyed your bedtime story!!

Bernice

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 March 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernice

Thanks for the bedtime story ...WOW how absolutely interesting ...I must say I am one of those people who loves a murder or two.

My people come from Devon and Cornwall ..I was brought up on the 'Moors Murders' .....

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TREASE/TRAIES continued...
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 March 08 07:08 GMT (UK) »
How interesting and explains why I couldn't find Rillington Place on a modern map!

I vaguely remember hearing the name Christie, must have read about it somewhere. 

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 March 08 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Right certificates have arrived this morning!

Firstly death certificate for James Traies

Registration district St George Hanover Square, sub district Belgrave

24th October 1855
St Georges Hospital
James Traies
Maile
40 years
Tin Plate Worker (Master)
Old stricture of Urethrea Extravasation? of Urine (1 week) Diseased Kidney
Lucy Traies present at the death
2 Bond Street, Chelsea
26th October 1855

These certificates don't get any easier to read do they?? ::) ::)

I think that must be our James, son of James.

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 March 08 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate for daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth

12867 at parish Church of St James marland??  Kensington
10 March 1867
John Saunders Hinton 20  Bachelor, Carpenter, 5? Sussex Terrace, Kensington Bank Road, North ??  father - James Hington unreadable rank that looks like Farmer with a 6 in the middle??
Annie Hannah Traies 20 Spinster, 5 Johnson Street, father Samuel Traies Tin Plate Worker

Witnesses Samuel Traies and Elizabeth Traies.

Kerry

Bernice and Bob - would you like copies??  I can scan and email if you pm email address