Author Topic: Buddo Family History  (Read 41221 times)

Offline beansgram

• RootsChat Veteran
  • peter drylie christina mcpherson
    • View Profile
Re: Buddo Family History
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 March 08 17:47 GMT (UK) »
hi chatters the bivri discs shows david buddo born to david buddo and euphemia stevenson dorward on aug. 23 1853 and christ. april 8 1854 at edinburgh midlothian the disc collection is st. cuthbert.  beans
drylie,mcpherson,tod,burt,beveridge
fife dunfermline kincross iverness

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 March 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes beans, this lines up with other records.

Sancti, in the 1861 census, Sir David is living with his mother and stepfather (Robert Johnston) in Drumlithie, in the Glenbervie parish in Kincardinshire.  David does not show up in the search as a Buddo because he is recorded as David Buddo Johnston.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 March 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
On the 1861 census on SP there is only 1 record for a 60/61 yr old David Buddo and it is in Midlothian. He doesn't appear to be in Kinburn House at the time of the census. Perhaps he had sold it and the will was slightly outdated

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 March 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are correct.  I was thinking of DB jnr who was also Sir David Buddo in NZ later in life.  The 61 yr old is DB snr, showing as a lodger on the census form.  The reference to Kinburn house is not in the will but in the inventory, dated 12/8/1863, nearly a year after his death.  I can only assume that, if he did own Kinburn House, he sold it some time prior to 1861 and the proceeds went against debts.  However, I doubt if he ever owned it.  I don't know what a surgeon in the East Inda Company got paid, but it is unlikely to have been enough to build such a substantial home.  There would have been little or no family money either, given that he was 11th of 12 children of weaver Thomas Buddo (1755-1815) and Margaret Thomson.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 March 08 21:57 GMT (UK) »
When did he actually get his knighthood? He is in the records as having the house built in 1855.

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 March 08 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I don't know.  He is just referred to as Sir David Buddo in some of the internet descriptions of Kinburn House.  Are there lists of knighthoods awarded in the UK?  I guess it is likely that, if indeed he did have one, it would have been between 1840 and 1860.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 March 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps he accrued some wealth with the East India Company

This resident of Fife seemed to do well.

It was founded in terms of a bequest by Dr Bell, who was the first to introduce the monitorial or Madras system of school management. Dr Bell, who was the son of a hairdresser in St Andrews, and was educated at the University here, became, after various vicissitudes of fortune, superintendent of a male orphan asylum at Madras under the Honourable East India Company, and there originated his monitorial system. At his death he left a very large fortune, £120,000 of which was to be spent in the erection and maintenance of schools on his favourite system,

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 06:42 GMT (UK) »
David Buddo snr gets more and more interesting.  I had a reply from the Curator of the St Andrews Museum.  She advised that David Buddo spent a short time in Cupar gaol about 1856 for shooting at and wounding a young man who had been courting one of the housemaids!  Maybe that was the start of his decline in fortune.

Kinburn House was bought by John Paterson (later Provost of St Andrews) in 1872.  It passed to the Town Council in 1920.  The extensive garden grounds were turned over to public amenities eg tennis and a bowling green.  The house itself became home to the Hay Fleming Reference Library for many years.  During the Second World War it provided a telephone exchange/air raid warning system for the town.  It became St Andrews Museum in 1991.

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 04:43 BST (UK) »
I hope the following information is of interst to those tracking David Buddo snr.
In 1851 David Buddo senior is living at 5 Golf Place St Andrews and Euphemia Durward, house servant is also living at 5 Golf Place St Andrews. They are the only two individuals living at this address. Euphemia did not marry David Buddo senior but did have his illegitimate child, who was raised as David Buddo Johnston, but known as David Buddo in adulthood.
As to whether David Buddo senior received a knighthood there is no evidence I have seen to confirm that he did and he was never referred to as Sir in any public records.
According to the Parochial Register, George Gordon Esq. is living at Kinburn House in 1861 and in 1867 Major Boothby and family are living at Kinburn House.
In the 1861 Census Buddo snr is a lodger in Edinburgh at 2 Elm Row Edinburgh South. His occupation is listed as Surgeon (not practising).
The 1856 shooting that the curator of St Andrews Museum refers to, sounds like the one that took place in 1862. In a copy of the indictment against David Buddo snr he is described as residing at Kinburn House.
The crime attracted a lot of publicity and was written about in the Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh and other newspapers.
The newspapers reported that on July 29th 1862 John Cuthbert a young joiner from Crail had been sweet hearting a maid servant, and had called on her one evening when Dr Buddo came out in great fury and asked Cuthbert what he was doing there. Cuthbert answered him civilly stating that he was working on the adjoining property and had got acquainted with the servant. He at the same time gave his name and address but seeing that Buddo was still in a passion he turned to go away. Buddo then coolly raised his gun and shot the unsuspecting man in the back. Cuthbert was severely wounded and in a critical state with great loss of blood. 
Buddo was arrested the next morning and conveyed to Cupar jail.
Mr Cuthbert is described as a quiet decent lad and highly respected by all who knew him.
David Buddo snr was to have been tried in the High Court Perth on September 29 1862 for the crime of discharging loaded firearms to the effusion of blood and serious injury of John Cuthbert.
David Buddo snr was not able to be called as he had died around midnight on September 22 1862. There was a lot of rumour surrounding the timing and circumstances of his death.

Before David Buddo snr died a civil case had been raised against him by Cuthbert for personal injuries and loss of time incurred.
The civil case proceeded the following year on July 20 1863.
Cuthbert v Buddo before Lord Barcaple for damages by John Cuthbert, against David Buddo of Drumlithie Kincardineshire the natural son of the late Dr Buddo (who takes his moveables under a holograph will) and William Buddo the brother of the late Dr Buddo (who takes his heritage as heir-at-law). The defenders denied liability but tendered £55 damages and expenses which was declined, then £106 which was also declined. Mr Cuthbert was awarded £153, 3s in full for damages and expenses. 

I have a few other pieces of interesting information which I will post at a later date.