Author Topic: LAWRENCE - Wooton Basset  (Read 12850 times)

Offline McDaffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LAWRENCE - Wooton Basset
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 February 13 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Youngtug - hadn't noticed the little symbols (trained observer that I am)!  Your guidance to us newbies is most welcome.
Honeyman - Fife,Brand - Fife,Cassels - Dundee,Smith - Glasgow,McConville - Glasgow,McKenna - Glasgow,Lawrence - Wiltshire, Little - Hampshire/Wiltshire

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 February 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Here is a link to the Swindon Library Flickr site, including some poll book pages as shown. Also I must say that I have enjoyed the odd pint in the pubs mentioned.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/5181240353/in/set-72157622099851117/
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline McDaffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 February 13 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks youngtug - I bet you didn't pay tuppence a pint or 3p (old pence I hasten to add) for Best Bitter but I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Thanks for the link to Swindon Library - I maybe should offer see if I can get a copy of the photo Dad has of the pub and see if they want to add it to their collection.

I'm now in touch with Jacqui privately thanks to your advice so hopefully we can help each other fill in the gaps.

Once again, thanks for your guidance......& patience!

Regards
McDaffy
Honeyman - Fife,Brand - Fife,Cassels - Dundee,Smith - Glasgow,McConville - Glasgow,McKenna - Glasgow,Lawrence - Wiltshire, Little - Hampshire/Wiltshire

Offline Local Studies, Swindon Libraries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Studies at Swindon Central Library
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 February 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
We are always happy to receive any contributions to our Flickr gallery - you can contact us here: localstudies[at]swindon.gov.uk
(by the way we always like to know as much about the back of a photos the front - esp. photographer/copyright details if known).
Bishopstone, Blunsdon St. Andrew, Broad Blunsdon, Chiseldon, Cricklade, Hannington, Highworth, Inglesham, Kingsdown, Liddington, Lydiard Tregoze and Lydiard Millicent, Purton, Rodbourne Cheney, South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren, Stratton St. Margaret, Swindon (Old & New), Wanborough, Wootton Bassett, Wroughton,

Offline LeanneC

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 July 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
New to this site but thought I would post details of what I'm starting to research as I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

I am researching the Lawrence Family, primarily innkeepers in Wooton Basset.  GGrandma left a diary which is a great insight into life in an Inn at the turn of the 20th Century.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to trace someone serving in the Army in the 1890's.  I know he was stationed in Ireland at the time as that's when/where GGrandma was born but have no idea what regiment/corps etc he was serving in and don't know where to start.

Cheers
McDaffy

Hi Henry is also my great great grandad, I have a pic of him on his cart :), any how, he went on to marry Annie & have 10 children with her, only 8 survived, one being my great gran, Gladys.
I'm struggling finding info on Annie, does anyone know anything about her?

What a huge family this is turning out to be!!!

Offline putthekettleon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 August 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
My family comes from Wootton Basset My father James Lawrence was born in 1899 Mount Pleasant Wootton Basset his father James was a railway engine driver his mothers name was Annie Louisa Lawrence formally Roberts.
 Iam new here so any information or pointers will be appreciated thank you

Offline rushworth19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 September 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jacqui

It’s been a while since I visited this site – got distracted by my mothers Scottish side!

I’m intrigued about the Cross Keys – that is the pub that GGG Grandpa Henry Lawrence (b. Abt 1851, Swindon)had at one point.  He and his wife were originally Inn Keepers – he was also a Blacksmith & shoeing smith) at the Curriers Inn (“in the High Street, opposite the Church”).

Anyway, they had 3 children, the eldest of which was Henry Samuel (b. 1871/3).  It was Henry Samuels eldest daughter, Mary (b.1895, Co. Antrim, Ireland), who left the diary.

It seems that GGG Grandpa Henry was married 3 times and had 17 children from these 3 marriages.  According to the diary, 3 girls are in New Zealand.

Again, according to the diary, by 1897, GGG Grandpa Henry was getting itchy feet and wanted  to move up the High Street to the Cross Keys Hotel which had a wine & spirit licence.  He bought William Samuel out of the Army and, in May 1897, he took over the Curriers Arms whilst his father, Henry, moved up to the Cross Keys.

Most of the rest of the diary sheds light on life in the Curriers Arms (eg the blacksmithing & shoeing, the price of beer, the brewery agent, the Gambling Den) and also what happened to Mary when she left home, returned and met G Grandpa Albert(Little).

I don't know if any of that was of any interest to you but I'd love to hear a bit more about who your G Grandparents were and see where I can fit them in.  I'm not sure how to message privately but am happy to give you my personal email address if that is permitted.

Hope to hear from you again
Regards
McDaffy

Offline rushworth19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 September 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jacqui

It’s been a while since I visited this site – got distracted by my mothers Scottish side!

I’m intrigued about the Cross Keys – that is the pub that GGG Grandpa Henry Lawrence (b. Abt 1851, Swindon)had at one point.  He and his wife were originally Inn Keepers – he was also a Blacksmith & shoeing smith) at the Curriers Inn (“in the High Street, opposite the Church”).

Anyway, they had 3 children, the eldest of which was Henry Samuel (b. 1871/3).  It was Henry Samuels eldest daughter, Mary (b.1895, Co. Antrim, Ireland), who left the diary.

It seems that GGG Grandpa Henry was married 3 times and had 17 children from these 3 marriages.  According to the diary, 3 girls are in New Zealand.

Again, according to the diary, by 1897, GGG Grandpa Henry was getting itchy feet and wanted  to move up the High Street to the Cross Keys Hotel which had a wine & spirit licence.  He bought William Samuel out of the Army and, in May 1897, he took over the Curriers Arms whilst his father, Henry, moved up to the Cross Keys.

Most of the rest of the diary sheds light on life in the Curriers Arms (eg the blacksmithing & shoeing, the price of beer, the brewery agent, the Gambling Den) and also what happened to Mary when she left home, returned and met G Grandpa Albert(Little).

I don't know if any of that was of any interest to you but I'd love to hear a bit more about who your G Grandparents were and see where I can fit them in.  I'm not sure how to message privately but am happy to give you my personal email address if that is permitted.

Hope to hear from you again
Regards
McDaffy
Hi there, I have just discovered this site and am very interested in the Lawrence family as my mother Emily Rose Harris, nee Lawrence, was born in the Curriers Arms at Wotton Bassett.
There were seven children from the marriage of Sam & Clara, Annie later Little, my mother, Ivy later Boyce, Albert, Fred who died on active service in the first world war,Vera later Wallis and finally Amy later Tuck. So you wil gather from this that Albert & Annie Little were my Aunt & Uncle and lived in Ford St Swindon. They had three children, Fred Ted and Mary who were my cousins. My eldest sister Margaret Ivy James nee Harris was also born in the Curriers Arms on July 1st 1923. She is still alive aged 90 yrs. My other sister Mari Rose died a few years ago aged 76. I am the youngest of the Harris family, John Edward, aged 80 and now live in Cheltenham. several of my cousins from the Lawrence family are still alive and living in and around Swindon. I know that Grampy Sam was also a blacksmith and his forge was behind the Curriers where he also bred a few hounds for the Duke of Beaufort. Hope we can exchange more family info as time goes by.
Regards  John E Harris

Offline Wesley100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 September 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately the Cross Keys has recently had a substantial fire and now awaits, hopefully, a full rebuild.
Royal Wootton Bassett has a Community magazine and the latest edition has a short article on the pub on page 5 along with a B&W photograph of Bert Lawrence, blacksmith, shoeing a pony in the pub yard. No date, but apparently the smithy at the pub finished in the 1950s. Article also mentions a Dr Brinkworth who apparently lived next door.
It may be of interest to you and you can contact the editor, Stella Taylor on stella.taylor@tesco.net