Author Topic: LAWRENCE - Wooton Basset  (Read 12851 times)

Offline McDaffy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LAWRENCE - Wooton Basset
« on: Thursday 20 March 08 13:59 GMT (UK) »
New to this site but thought I would post details of what I'm starting to research as I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

I am researching the Lawrence Family, primarily innkeepers in Wooton Basset.  GGrandma left a diary which is a great insight into life in an Inn at the turn of the 20th Century.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to trace someone serving in the Army in the 1890's.  I know he was stationed in Ireland at the time as that's when/where GGrandma was born but have no idea what regiment/corps etc he was serving in and don't know where to start.

Cheers
McDaffy
Honeyman - Fife,Brand - Fife,Cassels - Dundee,Smith - Glasgow,McConville - Glasgow,McKenna - Glasgow,Lawrence - Wiltshire, Little - Hampshire/Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: LAWRENCE - Wooton Basset
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
For the army request you may wish to consider putting a post in the Armed Forces section of Rootschat.   There are many knowledgeable people there who may be able to answer your question.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 08 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi McDaffy:

I, too, have family links to Wootton Bassett in the late 1890s-1910s and found the local museum to be very helpful.  Open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings only, it is mentioned on various web pages but I don't think they are on e-mail, so here is the contact information in case writing/telephoning is more use:

"Wootton Bassett Museum
High Street
Wootton Bassett
WILTSHIRE
SN4 8AB

Tel: +44 01793 537489

Situated in the half timbered 17thC Town Hall. It contains an extensive photographic record of Wootton Bassett life in the 19th and 20th Centuries. Items include a ducking stool dated 1686, stocks & whipping post and geological specimens."

By the way, does your GGrandma Lawrence's diary mention any dealings with a wines and spirits merchant called H J Stevens?  (You never know ..!)

Rachel
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline Jacqui19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
hello

My Great Granparents are the lawrence family who lived at the cross keys in Bassett. I would love to see the details you have on them. I have a copy of My Ggrandfathers enlistment papers and can email you a copy of that. They are partially burnt but very readable
Love to hear from you
Jacqui

Offline McDaffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Jacqui

It’s been a while since I visited this site – got distracted by my mothers Scottish side!

I’m intrigued about the Cross Keys – that is the pub that GGG Grandpa Henry Lawrence (b. Abt 1851, Swindon)had at one point.  He and his wife were originally Inn Keepers – he was also a Blacksmith & shoeing smith) at the Curriers Inn (“in the High Street, opposite the Church”).

Anyway, they had 3 children, the eldest of which was Henry Samuel (b. 1871/3).  It was Henry Samuels eldest daughter, Mary (b.1895, Co. Antrim, Ireland), who left the diary.

It seems that GGG Grandpa Henry was married 3 times and had 17 children from these 3 marriages.  According to the diary, 3 girls are in New Zealand.

Again, according to the diary, by 1897, GGG Grandpa Henry was getting itchy feet and wanted  to move up the High Street to the Cross Keys Hotel which had a wine & spirit licence.  He bought William Samuel out of the Army and, in May 1897, he took over the Curriers Arms whilst his father, Henry, moved up to the Cross Keys.

Most of the rest of the diary sheds light on life in the Curriers Arms (eg the blacksmithing & shoeing, the price of beer, the brewery agent, the Gambling Den) and also what happened to Mary when she left home, returned and met G Grandpa Albert(Little).

I don't know if any of that was of any interest to you but I'd love to hear a bit more about who your G Grandparents were and see where I can fit them in.  I'm not sure how to message privately but am happy to give you my personal email address if that is permitted.

Hope to hear from you again
Regards
McDaffy
Honeyman - Fife,Brand - Fife,Cassels - Dundee,Smith - Glasgow,McConville - Glasgow,McKenna - Glasgow,Lawrence - Wiltshire, Little - Hampshire/Wiltshire

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 13 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, under Jacqui19,s name you will see a black circle with what looks like a page of writing in it. If you click on this you can PM Jacqui19. Although Jacqui19 will probably need to make another 2 posts before they can receive PMs
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Jacqui19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 13 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again

So nice to hear back from you. My Great grandparents that ran the Cross keys are Henry and Caroline (nee Russ) their daughter Lily Georgina was my Grandmother. There was only one Lawrence family that ran the cross keys so we must be talking about the same family.
I tried to pm you but could not find a link to do so.
If it is allowed my email is

Offline Jacqui19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 February 13 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I have looked at the family tree and William and Mary are both there and 3 wives .I only started my tree this year so not sure I have all the details correct at this time.

Jacqui

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 February 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Posting your email address here is not allowed, nor is it a good idea. It would be a good idea to remove it as soon as possible. If you read my previous post you will see how to go about sending a PM.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY