Author Topic: Fell down the kitchen stairs whist drunk.  (Read 3888 times)

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fell down the kitchen stairs whist drunk.
« on: Thursday 20 March 08 20:45 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 whilst living in St Giles in the Fields, London  William Knowles my ancester died from head injuries when he fell down the stairs whilst drunk.
There was an inquest.......... would any documents survive any where would i get them ???

many thanks
iain

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Fell down the kitchen stairs whist drunk.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 March 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »

Hi Iain,

You might find a report of the inquest in a local newspaper.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 March 08 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

would they have published anything about the poorer classes, and where would i look for the local paper.........

ta
iain

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 March 08 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

would they have published anything about the poorer classes, and where would i look for the local paper.........

ta
iain

Iain

Yes, they did publish stuff about the poorer classes - the story would have been the thing that drove publication, so an inquest on someone drunk and falling down the stairs would be good copy (then and now)

I'm not a London expert so can't advise on which paper, but I am sure there would have been some local newspapers.  I've had a quick look on the Genuki london section, without any luck in pinning any local newspapers down.

You could try trawling through the resources thread on the London board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,295.0.html or even ask a moderator to move this post to the main London Board where the most knowledgable people will be hanging out.

Good luck - hope you find something (the newspaper reports on inquests can be very informative)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 March 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Iain

If there was an inquest then there was usually a report in the newspapers.

You could try the British Newspaper Library at Colindale; I'm not sure what local newspaper would have covered that area of London.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 March 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jan/Julian.

i think doing silly things whilst drunk runs in our family !!!!

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 08 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain

I recently found a newspaper report about my gr gr grandfather in 1853.  It took a long time to find, trying out all the local papers, but eventually found it at the Millenium Library in Norwich. 

On his death certificate it said that he was burnt to death in a state of intoxication.  Sure enough there was a report in two papers after the inquest.  He had been to a few pubs, and was driving a hay-cart back home.  It looks like he was smoking a pipe, and either fell asleep smoking it, or it took light from his kerchief.  He was badly disfigured, the hay-cart was completely destroyed by fire, but his pony survived the fire.

I never expected to (but hoped) finda report, but it was quite detailed, giving the last pubs he visited, and his last steps of the day, quite gory details of his misfortune.

Don't give up, try all around that area, somebody will advice you in which direction to look I'm sure.

Rosemary

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 08 22:16 GMT (UK) »
that gives me some inspiration, perhaps if i try the local history siciety they may be in a position to advise.

many thanks