Author Topic: South Stoneham Parish records, help please  (Read 10748 times)

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
South Stoneham Parish records, help please
« on: Saturday 22 March 08 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone point me to online PR's for South Stoneham please?  Failing that, does anyone have them on fiche or cd & would be willing to look up a baptism for me? 

I'm looking for further info on the baptism of;

Charity CHALK  bapt 12 Apr 1795 South Stoneham

I'd like to confirm her parents (believed to be John Chalk & Mary )

Many thanks,

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Stoneham Parish records, help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 March 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
The Hampshire records office sells fiche cheaply.
doesn't seem to be much online. http://www.knightroots.co.uk/

In particular http://www.knightroots.co.uk/resources.htm

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 08 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pauline...yep, unfortunately, that's what I thought :(  I did look at Knightroots, but they haven't got her listed...guess I could email them with a request if all else fails.
It's one of those cases where someone 'tells' you this piece of info, but I'd like to confirm it for myself.  Failing all else, I guess a trip to Winchester is calling ;)

Have a great week-end,

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 March 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
South Stoneham baptisms are apparently included on the IGI for the period you're looking for.  I can only see a Joseph Chalk born around that time (1798) with the parents John & Mary Chalk.

I've checked for marriages in Hampshire for a couple by this name - including some rather fanciful variations - and can't see anything where the wife is Mary.  I have found one in South Stoneham for a John Chalk marrying an Ann, in 1793.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 March 08 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The IGI has this,

Charity CHOLK
Christening:  12 Apr 1795   South Stoneham
Father:  John CHOLK
Mother:  Mary     

There are also these with parents John and Ann CHOLK,

Henry CHOLK   Christening:  04 Oct 1801   South Stoneham

James CHOLK   Christening:  03 Jun 1810   South Stoneham

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline 01debbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 March 08 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Daisy,  I'd found her marriage on the IGI some time ago, but I hadn't checked variants for CHALK...silly me, should've known better :)

But I had been told John & Mary were the parents, so that's good.  I'd aslo been told about poss brothers being Joseph & George, so there's more I can follow up.

Many thanks for your help.

Debbie

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Many of the South Stoneham parish records are held in the Southampton Central Library

You can e-mail them - the archivist there is very helpful.

Sue

Offline Kirrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie.  I notice that you are interested in the surname Phillips of Botley and Southampton.  My Great, Great Grandmother was Mary Ann Phillips, born 1814 in South Stoneham, although in the census records she is down as being born in Botley.  I believe she was the daughter of James Phillips and Elizabeth Dolling.  In 1841 she marries John James Target in Islington, Middlesex.  Between that date and the 1851 census the family dropped the surname Targett, and it became James. 
I have been searching for a connection for a long time as they might be able to shed some light on an old family story.
Best wishes, Sue

Offline Sotonian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hampshire Genealogical Society have produced some really great CDs of PR transcriptions which I have purchased and found really useful. They are moderately priced and cover the whole county excluding the IofW.
Alexander, Appleford, Bolshire, Brant, Campbell, Clarage/Claridge, Coates, Collyer, Cram, Deacle, Giles, Hiscock, Hoare, Keen, Mayor, Rixon, Simms, Stockwell, Tarrant, Taylor, Turner, Waters, Wheeler, Wilson