Author Topic: Daniel Barr + Margaret McPadden mid 1800's  (Read 13749 times)

Offline JF

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Daniel Barr + Margaret McPadden mid 1800's
« on: Saturday 03 April 04 21:05 BST (UK) »
Anyone got a Daniel Barr or Margaret McPadden in their family trees?

Have no idea which county they may have come from but believe they were married in Ireland before coming to UK.

Their first child was born in 1861 in Hartlepool and they then moved to Sunderland where the remainder of their children were born.

According to UK 1881 census Daniel was age 43 so born <1838> and Margaret age 41 so born <1840> give or take a few years for accuracy.

Margaret could be related to a Patrick McPadden age 29 on census born <1852> and Stephen McPadden age 27 on 1881 census <1854> lodging in Durham with a family from Leitrim.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Barr + Margaret McPadden mid 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 04 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi JF

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 11:09 GMT (UK) »
No unfortunately have nothing more to add and no-one seems to have them in their tree either.

Don't know where we can go on this really, brother feels they may have come from the North of Ireland but nothing concrete.

Have checked a surname list which gives most of the Irish surnames in the tree situated around Monahan, Down and Antrim but nothing closer than that.

Am hoping that Ireland records become more available in future when something may jump out.

Thanks for your concern just sorry you haven't got them in your tree too.

Offline sweepiedog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 05 20:43 BST (UK) »
My Brother, Father, Grandfather and great grandfather were all named Daniel Barr. I am not sure before that. The family still resides in Co Antrim.

Offline padenfolk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
I was interested to read your query because my ggfather, John McPaden/McPadden was living in Sunderland (10 Frances St., Tunstall) in 1877 when my gmother, Mary Ann, was born. I've noticed other McPs in Durham County.

Most McPaddens come from Inishmagrath parish, Co. Leitrim. My John was from nearby Tullynascreena, Killanummery Parish.

In 1881 Patrick and Stephen McPadden lived as boarders with a Clark family in Westoe, South Shields. Patrick Clark was born in Inishmagrath, and his wife, Mary Hannon, was b. in Killanummery.

And I have this baptism from St. Mary's RC Church, Sunderland:
19 Nov 1859
James McPaden of N. Hylton, s/o Miles McPaden of Co. Leitrim m. Susan McDermott of N. Hylton, d/o Patrick McDermott of Co. Leitrim.
Wit: Michael Kelly and Rose McDermott, both of N. Hylton

Offline JF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I did see the McPadden brothers in lodgings and wondered whether they were brothers/cousins of Margaret McPadden.

Since my previous posting I've found the marriage in Hartlepool of Daniel Barr and Margaret Padden.  They married at St Mary's RC Church, Hartlepool on 9th January 1860. 

Daniel Barr's father was John Barr a general labourer and Margaret Padden/McPadden's father was William Padden also a general labourer.  The witnesses were David McInilley?  and Anne Kelly.  Daniel Barr was residing at Tennant Street, West Hartlepool and Margaret Padden at South Street, W Hartlepool.

Their first child was Ellen Barr born in Hartlepool (poss Ann St) in 1861, their second Betsy born in Greenock, Scotland in 1863 and Margaret born 1865 in Ropery Lane Sunderland. Then their first son John William Barr (named after grandfathers) also Ropery Lane, Sarah born 1874 Burligh Street, Mary Ann 1877 Line? Street and Daniel 1882. Nesham Square?  Except for the two oldest and youngest Daniel they were all baptised at St Patricks, Sunderland

Margaret died in 1889 in Sunderland.

Does any of your McPaddens have parents William and Ellen/Betsy? - going by the irish/scottish naming patterns that could be Margaret's parents names.

I don't know whether Daniel and Margaret knew each other before coming to Hartlepool. Or what made them go to Hartlepool from Ireland and then Greenock and finally to Sunderland?

Offline padenfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 September 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, but we don't have a William. My John McP was s/o Michael McPaden and Anne Farrell; they did have a daughter, Ellen, though.

You might want to post to the website Drumkeeranfolk (genealogy board for Inishmagrath parish, Leitrim home of the McPaddens). We know that a number of people from there came to Durham County to work, and i've seen discussion on the Drumkeeranfolk site about Inishmagrath folks who went to Scotland to work.
I notice that your Margaret had a Kelly mother. Here's a related marriage record to the one I sent yesterday (St. Mary's Sunderland):
4 Jul 1857
Stephen McParden of N. Hylton, son of Milees McParden, married -----Kelly (first name illegible), N. Hylton, dtr of Loisa? Kelly. Wit: Miles Bartley and Susan McDermott.
Anne

Offline caroline11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 December 09 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Daniel Barr (b.1832. d. 1908) and Margaret(b. 1841 d.1889) are my Great grandparents. They married aged 24 and 21 respectively and lived at 7 Ann St. West Hartlepool.
Daniel was a labourer in the Iron Ship Yard
One of their sons John William Barr born 1868 died was my grandfather- they were back in Sunderland then.
John William Barr Married Ellen ??? in sunderland. he was a Riveter in the shop yards
They had 11 children- on which was my father Bernard who was born  in sunderland in 1913.
I have no idea where they cam from in Ireland but both Co. Antrium and N. Ireland have been suggested within our family

Offline caroline11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 09 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I have some addresses where they lived in Sunderland if they are helpful to anyone