Author Topic: 1841 look up please benjamin davies  (Read 2081 times)

Offline chrisjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 look up please benjamin davies
« on: Thursday 13 January 05 15:07 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if a look-up could be done for Benjamin Davies, married to Eleanor, living at the village of Abergwili, Carmarthen, in 1841 census.  Aged around 40 to 45, possibly living at Old Work House,  I'm not sure about other occupants, but would appreciate any info.    Also could anyone recommend copy of 1841 with name indexes for the whole of Carmarthen?   I'm desperately trying to trace my elusive Margaret Davies who appears in various censuses stating different birthplaces and assorted ages!!  ???  I found some possibles on familysearch, but need to verify these.

Many thanks for any help,
Regards, Chris :D

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 look up please benjamin davies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 17:50 GMT (UK) »

Old Poor House, Abergwilly

Benjamin Davies - 45 - Ag Lab
Elinor Davies - 40
Rachel Davies - 10
Sarah Davies - 8
Mary Davies - 6
Benjamin Davies - 9mths

HO107/1383/4 folio:18 pg:11
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Margaret on any census?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline chrisjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 17:53 GMT (UK) »
David, thank you very much for replying, and for the information on 1841 census.

I've found Margaret aged 28 married to Samuel Davies in 1851, living in Kidwelly, with one son called David aged 2, it states Margaret and Samuel were from Newchurch near Carmarthen, but I've searched birth and marriage records and found no trace of them there or any surrounding areas.   She appears again in 1861, aged 38,  still married to Samuel, living in Neath, son called David is now 13, it states they were born in Carmarthen.  There is also a lodger Henry Davies aged 21 living with them, now the intriguing part, it appears that Margaret Davies living in Abergwili had an illegitimate son in 1839 called Henry!  I confirmed this by checking the parish records.  Now this is a great leap of faith on my part I know, and I may
be clutching at straws, I have searched the 1841 census throughout Carmarthen and Llanelli without finding Margaret, so really that is what I need to establish.

The plot thickens as in 1871, she is remarried to Griffiths Beavan, living in Neath, and the census states she was born in LLansawel (Briton Ferry or Carmarthen??).   I have her marriage certificate which gives her father as Benjamin Davies, Ag.Lab. but obviously not where.   In 1881, she gives her birthplace as Kidwelly, I think you can probably see why I'm confused!   I've checked all the birthplaces given in the different census, no trace even when trying ten years before or after.

On IGI I found a record of the birth of Margaret Davies in 1820 to Benjamin and Eleanor Davies, Abergwili,  so it does appear to be a possibility this could be my elusive Margaret!!

Any advice gratefully received,
Thanks Chris

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a complex one!!

Firstly the entry i gave for 1841 for Benjamin and Elinor we cannot prove matches those on IGI. It may do but if you look at the other children who were baptised to these parents they do not seem to appear on the census with them.
You have:
Sally Davies - 25/4/1828
Ann Davies - 4/10/1829
Daniel Davies - 28/11/1833
David Davies - 29/1/1827
Margaret Davies - Oct 1820
All baptised Pantteg And Peniel Meeting Houses-Independent, Abergwili, Carmarthen, Wales

I have looked on IGI for the baptisms of the children as in 1841 census and can see some entries for them. It just seems funny that at least Daniel who would be 8 would not be with them in 1841, unless they had some infant deaths?

I have looked on CarmsFHS and the baptisms they have seem to have the mothers name as Eleanor for the later baptisms and Elinor for the earlier ones, although this may have no significance.

There is a marriage for Benjamin Davies to Eleanor Evans in Abergwili 01/9/1820 which would indicate they married one month before Margaret was born (note Eleanor as in later baptisms)

I presume you have the 1851 census for the family shown in 1841 which indicates Benjamin born Llanfihangel Yr Arth? and Eleanor born Abergwilly.

Fingers crossed, from what you have said about the illegitimate son i have found this

Abergwilly Village - HO107/1383/4 folio:7 pg:6

Mary Davies - 80 - pauper - y
Margaret Davies - 20 - Ind - y
Henry Davies - 2 - y

Well theres maybe something to think about anyway, let me know what you think, i've just about exhausted all my resources!

Offline chrisjen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 13:06 GMT (UK) »
David, I can't thank you enough for finding Margaret on 1841 census, I really think this is her!   I forget to mention that I couldn't find any marriage bertween Margaret Davies and Samuel Davies, between 1841 and 1851, so I'm wondering if in fact they were married.   No births registered either for any of the children,  family info seems to suggest that Samuel was a staunch Welsh Baptist, and some of my enquiries seem to indicate that Samuel's father could have been the Baptist minister David Davies of Peniel Chapel! 

Will keep you updated, believe it or not - this puzzle has taken me the best part of 12 months off and on, and you've definitely given me a fresh incentive.

Regards,
Chris :D