Author Topic: monahan vs. monaghan  (Read 5248 times)

Offline stdomsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
monahan vs. monaghan
« on: Sunday 23 March 08 17:43 GMT (UK) »
My gr.gr.grandfather Hugh Monahan came to the Portland peninsula {Maine USA} in 1848 & married Margaret McGurk in the old {1830} St. Dominic's Church in 1855. St. Dom's was the 1st Irish-Catholic church on the Portland peninsula. I wonder why/when they dropped the 'g' & if our clan Monahan originated in County Monaghan. It is said we're from Donegal. ? My nana Grace Monahan never used the 'g'.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: monahan vs. monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 March 08 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Possibly when he got to America the spelling of the name changed to the way it would be pronounced (the 'g' in Monaghan is silent).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline stdomsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 March 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply about the 'g' makes sense - what I'd really like to know is our family clan Monahan from Monaghan

Offline mmonagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 20:33 GMT (UK) »
the name Monaghan originated in roscommon  in Ireland..
I am Moira Monaghan with silent G
Donegal, Frosses, Donegal Town, Inver, Monaghan, McShane, Gallagher, Ward..

Offline sebo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 11:54 GMT (UK) »
The surname 'Monaghan', with or without the 'g', is the English version of a Gaelic name  O Muimhneachain (pronounced ' O Mweenacawn') which means 'descendant of a Munster man'. Munster is the southern province of Ireland, including countiers Cork, Kerry, Tipperary etc.  The more common surname Moynihan has the same origin.

The surname has no connection with the place - they just both happen to have the same spelling. There are only a few families in Monaghan called Monahan - they have dropped the 'g' probably to avoid confusion.

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
I have a Jane Harrison (born late 1780s early 1790s) of County Monaghan who married Gilbert Monaghan aboard ship to New York state and lived in Albany among other places.  I don't know where he was from.  It is said he had land or a hotel(s) back in Ireland, so returned to check on it and died at sea.  Marriage and death aboard sea.  So you see, a Monaghan, possibly from Monaghan.  The Harrisons were Presbyterian, and Gilbert had his sons baptized in the Presbtyerian Church at Albany, though he could have been Catholic.  Who knows?
Harrison

Offline Keith Monahan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
I'm a Monahan from Monaghan. I always regarded the names from being of different origin. Monahan is a Roscommon name derived from Monk. The original clan said to be descended from a 16th century warrior monk in the area. The gaelic being O' Manachain. The place name Monaghan or Muineachain is said to indicate a place of thicket or briar.

To add confusion I don't have the G in my name yet my uncle does. It all depended on what was registered at birth.