Author Topic: John Pembroke Jones & others to Ontario  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Pembroke Jones & others to Ontario
« on: Sunday 23 March 08 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Please could SKS look up on Anc***ry's "Passenger & Immigration Lists Index 1500-1900s" to Canada for me?  Unfortunately I only have UK subscription and can only see names and destinations.

John Pembroke Jones, ship's carpenter,  born 1826 Deptford, Kent, married 1848 in Bristol to Sarah Hayward b1830.

John & Sarah are in the 1881 Ontario census in Amherstburg, Ontario, with five children all born in Ontario.  John shows as head of household in the 1871 census in Amherstburg.  I have his death entry in 1883 in Amherstburg.

Joseph Jones born 1834 Deptford, Kent, married 1854 in Bristol to Caroline Green b1833.

Joseph and Caroline's first child William born 1855 Bristol.  Second child Henry born 1856 in Fort Malden, Ontario.  They then show up in the 1861 census onwards in the UK.

Also Louisa Jones b 1802 Deptford Kent and Louisa Jones b1837 Aberystwyth, Wales (John & Joseph's mother and sister) may be travelling with them or around the same time.

I can see some possibles in the Lists Index to Ontario but can't see all the details.

Thank you.
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Pembroke Jones & others to Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 08 02:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't have an "Ancestry" subscription, but thought that some books on the area may have some mention of them.

Fort Malden, Amherstburg, Essex County, Ontario

Commemorative biographical record of the county of Essex, Ontario
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=3107

A Family Record
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=884

Gazetteer and directory of the counties of Kent, Lambton, and Essex, 1866-7http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=11380

The Township of Sandwich
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=2908

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 08 03:06 GMT (UK) »
If you keep an eye on this site, the census for the various years will be online.

Ontario GenWeb - Census
http://ontariocensus.rootsweb.com/

1871 Heads of Household - Index
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/1871-ontario/001016-100.01-e.php

1901 Census
(in case his children came over at the same time)
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/District.jsp?id=60

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 08 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Here are the deaths of 2 of their sons

John Pembroke Jones
Death: May 14th, 1909
Place of Death: Amherstburg, Essex Co., Ontario
Birthdate: September 21st, 1862
Birthplace: Amherstburg
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: Not Listed
Father: John Pembroke Jones
Mother: Sarah Hayward

William Henry Jones
Death: May 29th, 1920
Place of Death: Amherstburg, Essex, Ontario
Birthdate: December 19th, 1865
Birthplace: Amherstburg
Marital Status: Married
Spouse: Florence M. Jones
Father: John Pembroke Jones
Mother: Sarah Hayward

Janice

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janice, you have been busy!

I didn't have the death of William, so that gives us another birth date and wife's first name, hooray! ;D

And I am in the process of reading through those online books, very useful, thank you.

I can see John in the 1871 - do you know if this census was just of heads of households, or is there information about the rest of the household?

Joseph and Caroline are my direct ancestors and may have had another child, Albert Edwin, in Canada before returning to the UK before the 1861 census; a family bible says that Albert died aged 18 months, no dob, dod or place.  We knew their son Henry was born in Canada from the bible and later censuses.  This is what brought us to finding where brother John went to.

I can't see baptismal records for Henry or Albert Edwin in the online parish records, but I suppose they're not complete.  We have everything for the other nine children born to Joseph and Caroline.

It would be nice to find what ship(s) they sailed on and when, if they're on record.  As I said, I can see the names there, but don't know if it's them....

Thanks Janice.

Kind regards
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Ontario GenWeb - Census
http://ontariocensus.rootsweb.com/

Keep an eye on the above site. When it is transcribed, it should be the full census. All that has been transcribed elsewhere, is the head of household and strays as well as someone with a different last name that that of the head.

Janice

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the Canada Resource board for Passenger Lists. (Just in case no one can help with Ancestry) When checking passenger lists, don't discount U.S. passenger lists, as quite a few travelled to the U.S. first and then to Canada.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,214795.0.html

You can also check for other deaths here.

LDS - Family Search Labs
http://labs.familysearch.org/

Bristol & Avon
http://www.bafhs.org.uk/

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 March 08 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Ah, that's good news about the 1871, and it might help solve a little mystery I've turned up today.

In the 1881 census John & Sarah Jane have five children in the house, John Jr, William, Edward, George,  and Sarah born c1857.  In the Wesleyan baptism records the only Jones I'd found was a baptism for a Sarah J., father John P Jones (no mother's name) on 23/4/1876 in Amherstburg.  However I found today another entry for a Melinda Ann Jones, father John mother Sarah Jones, born 4/9/1857 and baptised 17/4/1858 in Amherstburg.  So the full 1871 might confirm more about these two girls.  Fortunately the Jones surname was uncommon in Amherstburg (I never thought I would ever say that Jones was a rare surname ;D!) and in the 1881 there are only four Jones families there.

I've already registered with the Family Labs site and got some Canadian 1911 info for the Joneses(strangely nothing for my lot in 1901; probably off visiting the Smiths), but thanks for the link anyway.

And I'm slowly ploughing through the Olivetree website (I had tried to use it before, but kept being taken back to the same page on the opening link - doh ??? - I seem to have managed to get round that now).

And all between navigating Polish, French and Lithuanian searches for my father's side of the family - I shall be genealogically fluent in Polish, French, Lithuanian, Latin, and German parish records soon - wish me luck!

Kind regards
Gaie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 March 08 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Best of Luck Gale!  ;)

& Do try and keep up with the "Joneses"  ;D

Janice