Author Topic: John Pembroke Jones & others to Ontario  (Read 8522 times)

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pembroke Jones & others to Ontario
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 March 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Well blow me down with a feather ;D ;D ;D

A Joseph (b1834), Caroline (b 1833) and William Jones (infant) sailed on the Osprey from Glasgow to New York, arriving 14th November 1956, just in time for Henry to be born 2nd December 1856 in Malden, Ontario!  Gosh, those women were hardy in those days, weren't they?

Does that count as keeping up with the Joneses, Janice ;)?!!

Just had to share this, I'm so delighted to have found their voyage, even though we knew for sure they had made the trip.

Kind regards
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 March 08 05:05 BST (UK) »
Great Job!

I think you have more than kept up when you consider the amount of "material" you have collected.   ;D

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline dhutch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 April 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
Gaie;
Just a caution, in the Amherstburg Echo newspaper from 1883 it indicates that John Pembroke Jones died at the age of 55, which suggests that he was born in 1828 - all the other records and papers use the same information. It is possible the age 55 was incorrect and he really was 57 and that it is the John Pembroke Jones that you have as born 1826 (based on the bapitism record). Or, we have two different individuals?

The Marsh Collection in Amherstburg (maintain the records of the Echo @ "research at marshcollection.org" Jennifer ) have a file and some records on the Jones family.

All the best on April 1st

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 April 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

JPJ is consistent with his age through the Canadian censuses.  I think the marriage record of JPJ and Sarah Jane will help confirm whether they are one and the same - if JPJ's father is shown as William Jones, shipwright or similar.

I've sent you an e-mail in the last few minutes....  ;D

KR
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE

Offline Bristolboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 September 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaie

I’ve just picked up this thread, I don’t have access to worldwide ancestry either so have found your research on John Pembroke Jones very helpful.  Our tree is the Sarah Jane Hayward link - specifically her brother John William Hayward.  We have a family “geography book” just like one of the old family bibles (belonging to John William) which has the following text handwritten inside the front cover of it:

....ah Hayward went to America May 22nd 1857
Robert Hayward died January 1856 20???
Eliza Ann Hayward born July 31st 1851 at 4 in the morning
Sarah Jane Hayward born Dec 1st 1852 at 2 in the morning
Henry John Hayward born Jan 26th 1854 20 past 4 afternoon
Robert Thomas Hayward born half past 8 night 1855
John William Hayward born 25 May 1857
Laura Mary Hayward born 13 September 1858 7 o’clock in the morning

which should tie in with when JPJ and Sarah Jane went to America.  Robert was Sarah Jane's father.

All the best.

[I hope this posts ok as its the first time i've posted anything.] :)

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 September 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Bristolboy and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Thank you so much for the additional information on the Hayward family, and what a lovely find these details are that turn up in old family papers.

I am in touch with descendants in Canada of John Pembroke Jones and Sarah Hayward who I am sure will be interested in this; and a date for their emigration helps narrow down finding the ship's list.

Kind regards
Gaie

Offline dhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Pembroke Jones to Ontario, daughter Sarah Jane Hayward 1855
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 February 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Morning Gaie and Bristol Boy;
My Sarah Jane Jones (daughter of John (Jno) P. Jones b1828 & Sarah Jane Hayward b1828 d1895 buried in Detroit - they were married in Bristol 1848) was born in Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada 1855 - siblings were :
Robert John Jones b1849 England
Pembroke Hayward b1852 England
then Sarah Jane Jones b1855 - married Alexander Pirie (b Scotland) 1883, Essex County, buried in Detroit 1908.
John Pembroke Jones b1863
William Henry Jones b1865
Edward B Jones b1867
George D Jones b1870

Similar names and originally from Bristol, but either I misunderstand or we have a slightly different branch?
Regards from Windsor, Ontario,
David Hutchinson (son of Vivian Grace Jones, daughter of Robert Pembroke Jones, son of John Pembroke b1863 mentioned above)

Offline Bristolboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 January 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dhutch
I still don't have worldwide access so cannot give an answer but would like to say that it was not uncommon for people to travel to and from bristol to other parts, particularly Canada.  Sarah Jane Hayward (the mum) lived with her parents whilst married to John PJ and on the 1851 census was clearly shown living with them and with her son Robert Pembroke Jones - no mention of her husband tho (apart from the column which says 'Mar').  They were living in/next to the Nova Scotia Yard in Bristol, down by the docks, which still exists (now called Underfall Yard) and is a pleasant afternoon out, there are a number of buildings and sheds which were once used by ship builders at the back of Avon Crescent.  So I would still think they are the same family.  I can find no birth for her daughter in the uk.  As a point of note her father Robert Hayward died in Jan 1856 perhaps she returned following the birth of her daughter Sarah J J?  I only we could get hold of the passenger lists....

Offline dhutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Afternoon BristolBoy;
If you able, please contact me at dhutch@uwindsor.ca. I have some birth information and pictures of headstones for Sarah Jane (Hayward) Jones. In November, I was able to locate the unmarked burial plot for her son John Pembroke Jones jr - the Woodmere Cemetery, Detroit Michigan, confirmed a separate plot for John a few hundred feet from his mother. 
Regards from Snowy Windsor, ON, Canada
dhutch@uwindsor.ca