Author Topic: Tandragee - Bennett Family  (Read 8167 times)

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tandragee - Bennett Family
« on: Monday 24 March 08 04:29 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find more information, in particular parents for the following person and his descendants from Tandragee and/or Cargans:

William Bennett born circa 1793 married Anne Rennie circa1810 and they children:

Johnathon Bennett born circa 1814 married Mary Jane Maguire (and Septina Watson 1848 Belfast): children with Mary Jane Maguire: Thomas, John, Thomas born circa 1833, Edward Arthur born 1834

George Bennett born cica 1818 married Ann Gould (born circa 1822) 1842: chidren born in Australia

William Bennett born circa 1821 married Jane Johnson: children born in Australia

Robert Bennett born circa 1827 married Elizabeth Anne Redpath 1847: had one child: Robert Bennett born circa 1848 married in Australia.

Any information on the Bennett family in Tandragee would be most helpful, as I know a number of other people looking for Bennetts in Tandragee and thus far we cannot make a connection.  Do records exist pre 1845 for births and marriages in town archives?

From the few websites with directory's that I have found, they list only two or three Bennett's in that area which may or may not match.

Many thanks in advance,

Paula

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tandragee - Bennett Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 08 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Do records exist pre 1845 for births and marriages in town archives?

Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages started in 1864 (non Catholic marriage in 1845). These records were held centrally in Dublin. In Northern Ireland births and deaths are now held in Belfast while marriages are held both in Belfast and in local Registry Offices.
For earlier dates you need to search for church records (if they exist for that period). To do so you need to know what religion the family were and where they lived (parish if not actual townland). Some church records have been microfilmed by LDS- you can check their catalogue online (www.familysearch.org)- if there are microfilms they can be ordered from your local LDS library for a small fee to be viewed there.
PRONI (www.proni.gov.uk) have some Will extracts and 1912 Ulster Covenant signatures which you can search online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 March 08 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi aghadowey

Many thanks for the reply, I thought as much.  Can anyone tell me if there are records available other than civil registration that exist for 1700's?

Many thanks

Paula

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 March 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

sorry full message did not come through before.  I believe that the family was Catholic and all I know other than that is that they originated from Cargans Tandragee.

I just did a quick search of familysearch and Tandragee is not showing up.

Cheers,
Paula

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 March 08 08:51 GMT (UK) »
There will be very few records (church ones or otherwise) from 1700s.
See here for what exists of RC church records:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/032g
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 March 08 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again for the information, I have had a look through the book and have recorded what records are available.

Cheers
Paula

Offline lloyd_sym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 June 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am descended from Robert Bennett and Elizabeth Ann Redpath from Tandragee. Both Elizabeth and her son (also called Robert Bennett)  immigrated to Australia (Elzabeth remarried to a man called George Guinea)

The younger Robert Bennett became the patriarch of a large family that spread widely through Victoria.  I have attached a phot of the younger Robert Bennett and his wife taken in later life.

Please let me know what you have found out about the Bennetts and Redpaths in Tandragee.

cheers
Lloyd

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 October 11 03:08 BST (UK) »
  William Bennett born circa 1821 married Jane Johnson: children born in Australia PAULA

Hi Paula,

This man is my Great Great Grandfather.

I have his death certificate where his father's name is given but the former surname name of his mother shows as unknown- simply Ann.  Thanks to you, I now have it! RENNIE. The informant on the certificate was his son WILLIAM who obviously did not know his grandmother's maiden name.

Also I did not know of his siblings in Ireland or those in Australia.

The certificate shows the marriage to JANE JOHNSTONE took place in Tandragee when William was 21.  I know nothing about her and do not hold a certificate of her death.  however, the index entry for her death in 1889, shows "parents unknown"

I have information about William if it is of interest.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paula Griffiths

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 October 11 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I know how great it can be when you stubmle on a heap of information!

As to date we have not had that connection with Tandragee, however from information from our earliest arrivals, mention that they are related, it's just making that connection.

I do have alot on William and Jane, but if you would like to email it to me directly I can check what may be missing and vice versa.

Wishing you all the best in your continued search.

Cheers,
Paula